Hi from Texas!

Purple Frog

Hi all,

I am preop and still trying to figure out which procedure would be best for me.
I have a consultation with Dr. Ayoola next month (11/10), but they've already told me my BCBS (Federal) wouldn't cover DS at my BMI (41) without comorbidities. I haven't been to a PCP in years, so I have an appointment on Tues to do bloodwork and start a history in hopefully one place. Dr Ayoola's office sent me what they would require preop so I can get it done at the same time. I am in the process of gathering some medical records from various places to have a medical history. That being said, if I really don't have comorbidities, I'm not sure the "best" procedure for weightloss and maintaining that weightloss (DS) is best for me? Is it overkill? My 2nd choice is VSG. There is something about the stomach just hanging out in the RNY that just creeps me out.

Anyway, my name is Connie. Single mom to one teenage boy, 2 Frenchies, 1 Doberman, and a Fat Cat that could probably also benefit from VSG, but then who would keep our feet warm in the winter?!

Last edited:
Hi all,
, and a Fat Cat that could probably also benefit from VSG, but then who would keep our feet warm in the winter?!

Funny!, Hi and welcome, I'm from Tejas too! Welcome. Yes, you do need some co-morbidities....some are really easy to establish (fake), such as sleep apnea. I hate to say it like that...but, you gotta do what you gotta do. Fortunately...(first time in my life obese related med problems were a benefit), but I have 5 or 6...lol My point is, you CAN establish at least 1 or 2, but, it may just take a little time to lay a predicate with your pcp. NO to RNY...Not a good long term success rate, DS or nothing for me. VSG may be ok for you if you have less than 80 lbs or so to lose, just not enough info to say....PLUS...I am NO expert, just wanted to say hi!

Welcome @Purple Frog

I had the RNY back in April 2009 ==> Best decision I've ever made in my adult life.
I was 438 pounds at my highest weight and am happy to say I've maintained a weightloss of 200+ pounds. I personally don't think there's anything creepy about the procedure. I think my pouch is awesomeness LOL -- To each their own though.

Here's wishing you the best of luck in whichever procedure you choose. BF.org is a wonderful community and will be here to support your WLS success!
Again welcome. Enjoy and happy posting.

J.

pinkgirlwelcomeyc3.gif

MsJacquii, thank you for the welcome!
I get the pouch, but why do they leave the rest of the stomach there; what purpose does it serve?
I am so happy your RNY has been successful for you! Admittedly, I know next to nothing about RNY, except that it appears they've fallen out of favor in the last few years, but I can't find a good reason why.

MsJacquii, thank you for the welcome!
I get the pouch, but why do they leave the rest of the stomach there; what purpose does it serve?
I am so happy your RNY has been successful for you! Admittedly, I know next to nothing about RNY, except that it appears they've fallen out of favor in the last few years, but I can't find a good reason why.
I was told that the stomach is not removed entirely during the RNY because it is a reversible option. I don't ever intend on having my RNY reversed - but it's nice to know there's an option if necessary for whatever reason.

I'm not sure why the RNY has "fallen out of favor" --- IDK if that's even true; unfortunately I'm not really up on the current WLS research/trends. Perhaps though, because with most things in the medical field - doctors are always enhancing procedures and bariatrics is an industry that's continually begging for improvement. This might explain the increase we see in BAND to RNY or DS conversions. For me personally though - I've had relatively wonderful success with the RNY and have no inclination to convert to a DS.

Perhaps someone else may have a better answer as to if/why the RNY has taken a backseat to other procedures.

J.

Funny!, Hi and welcome, I'm from Tejas too! Welcome. Yes, you do need some co-morbidities....some are really easy to establish (fake), such as sleep apnea. I hate to say it like that...but, you gotta do what you gotta do. Fortunately...(first time in my life obese related med problems were a benefit), but I have 5 or 6...lol My point is, you CAN establish at least 1 or 2, but, it may just take a little time to lay a predicate with your pcp. NO to RNY...Not a good long term success rate, DS or nothing for me. VSG may be ok for you if you have less than 80 lbs or so to lose, just not enough info to say....PLUS...I am NO expert, just wanted to say hi!

Maybe I please disagree with you, Rob? Just a teensy bit?

WTF do you mean you can fake sleep apnea and it's easy?! I may have to hit you over the head with my now-unused
Bi-Pap machine, if you keep this up! LOL

FIRST, you have to get tested. Christ, that's fun. I'm an army vet, so I got to go to the VA (it was free that way) and take my jammies and have some psycho glue electrodes to my scalp with some concoction that was pretty much glue, wax and dried up boogers. They next morning...after I spent a night sleeping ( trying to sleep) with some guy I'd never met...usually I require at least a kind word and a mojito...they try to remove the goo with some tincture of emu piss or something. Whatever clothing it lands on is instantaneously out of service.

And the sleeping part...the test only works if you sleep...on an army cot, with some guy across the room, ugh. I have had the test on two other occasions, more elite surroundings. But it is NOT a fun experience.

Then...the results! When you get them and learn that your obesity is causing...over and over, all night long...your lungs to cease functioning! It is, my dear, a bit of an eye opener.

Sleep apnea may SEEM like a fake, because it doesn't hurt...but it can kill you. AND, if you get diagnosed with it and get a good fit and figure out how to use your BiPAP or CPAP, the first night you get some sleep with that thing is like a whole new life...it's really great.

You may have it.

Get tested and maybe you will enjoy a really restful slumber, too!

Last edited:
Boogers and emu piss have me DYING over here.
You are brave to do it at the VA, SB, I don't think I could.

I'm 125 pounds overweight. I have to have some comorbidities, right? Right?! I'm morbidly obese FFS!
How do I find out what BCBS considers a comorbidity? The person I talked to on the phone had no idea what a medically supervised diet was, so I have little faith I could get the answer by calling.

Boogers and emu piss have me DYING over here.
You are brave to do it at the VA, SB, I don't think I could.

I'm 125 pounds overweight. I have to have some comorbidities, right? Right?! I'm morbidly obese FFS!
How do I find out what BCBS considers a comorbidity? The person I talked to on the phone had no idea what a medically supervised diet was, so I have little faith I could get the answer by calling.

Right. Go online and read the thing I incorrectly call "your policy," but Diana, who knows these things, calls something else. It will list the comorbidities that BCBS recognizes.

Sleep apnea will probably be there. Do you snore? Do you fall asleep very easily? Sitting up? Mid-day? Only a test will tell for sure, but those are clues. Hypertension...diabetes...there are others.

I do snore. I'm always tired, but I don't fall asleep easily.
I don't have GERD, but I do have LPR.
I know I have high cholesterol, but I've never been medicated for it.
Incontinence? I had pelvic floor rehab, which was...interesting, but didn't really help.

I plan on doing all the blood work next week.

Welcome @Purple Frog !

And @robs477 - I can tell you with 1000% certainty that my SEVERE sleep apnea was KILLING ME SLOWLY. Not only was the night of the sleep study one of the, if not THE, single worst experience of my life (fully in agreement with @Spiky Bugger on everything except the cot!) But I was ceasing to breathe more than 40 times per night! My brain was severely deprived of oxygen. Years of never getting quality sleep destroyed my immune system and caused me to fall asleep all day long, and while driving! When it was at it's worst, I can tell you that life was not worth living anymore. Definitely not something I could've, or would've wanted to, fake.

*oh, and it also fucked up my heart. Years of the repeated cycles of not breathing and my heart speeding up to try to get more oxygen to my brain and then slowing down once I started breathing again, gave me AFib and SVT. I was at a high risk for a stroke because of those things as well. I don't think I would've live to see 40 if it hadn't gotten addressed.

Last edited:
Hey, @Purple Frog ...here is an example of a BCBS Policy Thingy. They are all different. But this one seems to want you in a before-and-after program, but is RELATIVELY generous on what a comorbidity is. One policy will want a six-month diet documented...others will want more, or nothing.

Once you find your requirements, you can figure out whether it will be a big battle, little battle or no battle. With this plan, someone might need only knee imaging, to prove damage there and a sleep study. But these days, I'd be on a documented doctor-supervised diet while I worked on the other stuff.

https://www.excellusbcbs.com/wps/wc...&CACHEID=7626cc31-589a-449c-8757-09ef8ac1a985

Welcome @Purple Frog !

And @robs477 - I can tell you with 1000% certainty that my SEVERE sleep apnea was KILLING ME SLOWLY. Not only was the night of the sleep study one of the, if not THE, single worst experience of my life (fully in agreement with @Spiky Bugger on everything except the cot!) But I was ceasing to breathe more than 40 times per night! My brain was severely deprived of oxygen. Years of never getting quality sleep destroyed my immune system and caused me to fall asleep all day long, and while driving! When it was at it's worst, I can tell you that life was not worth living anymore. Definitely not something I could've, or would've wanted to, fake.

*oh, and it also fucked up my heart. Years of the repeated cycles of not breathing and my heart speeding up to try to get more oxygen and then slowing down once I started breathing again, gave me AFib and SVT. I was at a high risk for a stroke because of those things as well. I don't think I would've live to see 40 if it hadn't gotten addressed.
Actually, it wasn't a cot...just a cheap-ass army bed of the Basic Training variety. I misspoke. Or exaggerated. Or lied, but only a little.

SteelBed.jpg

Latest posts

Back