Hi Everybody

camprman

Hi all,

My name is James. I'm 51, 483 pounds and 6'1". That puts my BMI at 63.7. Yikes! I had my stomach stapled 21 years ago. I lost weight then, and then I put it back on. I've lost and gained several times over the years.

Over the past 5 years, several negative health issues have occurred. In 2013, I had to have my right kidney removed due to Renal Cell Carcinoma. I had post-surgical complications and live in constant pain ever since. Exercise has become near impossible, but since I'm going to be brutally honest, I could have done more, I just let depression win. I can't work as I also suffer from severe vertigo and accompanying migraines. I've become so sedentary. Then in February of last year, I was diagnosed with non-ischemic cardiomyopathy. My heart is failing due to my DNA and not to the lack of self care most would expect. Also, I've been diagnosed with type II diabetes. I'm also on blood thinners for life.

So, realizing recently I don't want to be dead just yet, I've decided to look into getting the DS. I think it's my best bet for a long term solution to keeping this weight off. Just so we're clear, I don't think this surgery is a magic bullet, and I realize I am going to have to work it every day. The research that I've done thus far, is pointing me to seek out the doctors at the University of Chicago for the surgery. I'm afraid that I will be too high of a risk for even these doctors, but I'm hoping they will give me a chance. I have Aetna Advantage and Medicare for insurance.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I appreciate any thoughts, pointers, advice, ect that you all have to give. I'd love to know if you think they'll give me a shot or if I'm too far gone.

Thank you again,
James

Welcome!
I'm so sorry you've had so many serious health problems. While of course the DS won't fix everything, it would almost certainly resolve your type 2 diabetes, and the weight loss would allow you to be more active, which helps with lots of other things, including depression and your sense of well being.
If the docs at U of Chicago can't or won't help, given your past stomach stapling and risks from heart disease, there are a handful of DS surgeons who are very experienced and skilled in revision surgery and that's where you need to look. Hopefully southernlady will come along with the list, but I'll get you started by recommending either Dr. John Rabkin or Pacific Laparoscopy in San Francisco, or Dr. Ara Keshishian in Glendale, CA (a suburb of Los Angeles). Both are accustomed to working with people who have to travel long distances to be there, and both have been known to take on higher risk patients. You could do phone consults (or maybe Skype, I'm not sure) for a very reasonable fee with either. And Dr. K accepts Medicare, if that helps.

Thank you Larra! I've gone to their respective web pages and bookmarked them just in case. Chicago would certainly be ideal, but I'll go where I need to as I want, no need, to be healthier and live the best possible life I can.

Hi and welcome camprman . I had surgery with Dr. Alverdy at U of C. He's an excellent surgeon, brilliant man overall and on top of performing my DS he has also helped me out with some cancer issues. That said, revision is a big deal and were I going for revision I would head to Dr. K in California. If it had to be in IL, I would see no one other than Dr. A.

I had my DS 12 days before I turned 50; I'll be turning 65 in August. And I'm in WAY better health than I was 15 years ago - in fact, I'm planning a 2 month camping trip right now for the summer (OK, we have a 40' motorhome so "camping" is a relative term, but you see what I mean ...).

I had my DS 12 days before I turned 50; I'll be turning 65 in August. And I'm in WAY better health than I was 15 years ago - in fact, I'm planning a 2 month camping trip right now for the summer (OK, we have a 40' motorhome so "camping" is a relative term, but you see what I mean ...).

It's that type of camping I want to do again. I just know there is no way I am up to it in my current state.

I called Dr Keshishian's office today. Luckily, Silva was in the office answering the phone. She instructed me to fill in the information for insurance. I got a call back as Dr K wants me to have an Upper GI done, and I also set a video appointment with Dr K for next Wednesday. I then decided to give my insurance company a call (Aetna) and verify whether he would be in network or not. I feel lucky in that he is in network! So, I've started the ball rolling. I know that Aetna requires a 6 month medically supervised diet, so I'm mentally preparing myself for that.

Thanks for the "Welcomes", advice, and the "Go for its." It is so appreciated!

Be aware, I had Aetna in California and while they required six months supervised, I was approved after about four and a half months. I also had to do three nutritionist meetings, which I was able to do in about five weeks. It wasn't three months of monthly meetings, it was three meetings. Maybe you'll get lucky!

Whomever you go with, I would have the surgeon include in the letter requesting preauthorization a section explaining that you are significantly ill, at high risk of [fill in the blanks - heart attack, stroke, heart failure] that the six month diet requirement should be waived, especially in view of the fact that the ASMBS has long held it to be a worthless waste of time, is "arbitrary, potentially harmful, unethical and not supported by scientific data," and is designed to discourage patients from seeking care:
"There are no data from any randomized controlled trial, large prospective study or meta-analysis to support the practice of insurance mandated preoperative weight loss. The discriminatory, arbitrary and scientifically unfounded practice of insurance mandated preoperative weight loss, contributes to patient attrition, causes unnecessary delay of lifesaving treatment, leads to the progression of life-threatening co-morbid conditions, is unethical, and should be abandoned."
https://asmbs.org/resources/preoperative-supervised-weight-loss-requirements

Larra and I occasionally speak with Dr. K and we can help him write this part of your urgent request for a waiver of the six month delay.

Whomever you go with, I would have the surgeon include in the letter requesting preauthorization a section explaining that you are significantly ill, at high risk of [fill in the blanks - heart attack, stroke, heart failure] that the six month diet requirement should be waived, especially in view of the fact that the ASMBS has long held it to be a worthless waste of time, is "arbitrary, potentially harmful, unethical and not supported by scientific data," and is designed to discourage patients from seeking care:
"There are no data from any randomized controlled trial, large prospective study or meta-analysis to support the practice of insurance mandated preoperative weight loss. The discriminatory, arbitrary and scientifically unfounded practice of insurance mandated preoperative weight loss, contributes to patient attrition, causes unnecessary delay of lifesaving treatment, leads to the progression of life-threatening co-morbid conditions, is unethical, and should be abandoned."
https://asmbs.org/resources/preoperative-supervised-weight-loss-requirements

Larra and I occasionally speak with Dr. K and we can help him write this part of your urgent request for a waiver of the six month delay.

I had no idea this could be done. Thank you so much both for bringing it to my attention, and then offering to help the Dr with writing the request.

I didn't know whether to start a new thread or not, so I'll just update here.

Spoke with Dr K on the phone today. He is very concerned with my EF and ultimately needs me to get that number up before he will do surgery. At this point, losing weight is what is needed to make that happen. I appreciated his candor as a whole. He kept apologizing for be being so honest. I'd rather have that than you push me off to someone else.

Anyway, I just wanted to update everyone. I need to get really focused so I can make this happen.

Latest posts

Back