Hi All!

CherylWRN

I'm new to the group, however I have been researching WLS for at least 20 years. Initially for other family and friends then for myself for the last decade.

I have been fat since childhood and began dieting with my Mom by age 8 when puberty hit full force. Restrictions to 30 carbs were the norm. No fruit or juice. No potato, corn, or bread. Every time I lost 10 pounds 15 returned. My current diet of small meals every few hours with total calorie intake less than 1200 daily has caused a weigh gain...ugh.

This has been my life. Now with Lupus, HTN, chronic pain in my joints, back, and neck, FMY, and high weight of 313, DS is the tool I hope will help me. Thanks. Cheryl

I know EXACTLY where I want to go however my family isn't ready. Dr. K. seems like the natural fit.

Hi and welcome!

Family support is great, but the only person who really needs to be ready is YOU. You have some great reasons for bariatric surgery and your history indicates that nothing else will work. And you have certainly tried your best. Make your decision and feel confident that you are doing what is best and right for you.

I know. I'm currently jumping through the hoops with my doctors for the supervised diets also. As a RN, I try to get my ducks in a row. I really do need my hubby to see the upside to the DS for my long term health to improve.

I know. I'm currently jumping through the hoops with my doctors for the supervised diets also. As a RN, I try to get my ducks in a row. I really do need my hubby to see the upside to the DS for my long term health to improve.
IF you are comfortable with him being a member here (and he's willing), he is welcome to join us. My dh is a member (he is also a DS'er tho, we are 5 weeks apart)

Hi @CherylWRN and welcome to the forum. You sound exactly like what I go through. If I go over 800-1000 calories a day, I WILL gain weight. We absorb everything. I only go to the bathroom, # 2, sometimes 3 times at the most per week. The DS is the only hope we have. The WL will probably be less and take longer, BUT, there's no way it can’t work.

Anyway, seen your age, you are at a great age to get this done. Time slips away quickly, things change, insurance, etc, so do whatever you have to do to make it happen. I wish you the best!

P.S….Sometimes "my girls" ;)can appear a little "rough around the edges" :Dsometimes here, BUT, it’s actually quite the opposite. Its called Passion. They are all very sweet and I’ve never seen a more knowledgeable and helpful group of experts in any subject that were so genuinely caring. You definitely did good by coming here!

My hubby would be welcome but he and my in laws do not understand why I am fat Since I can't eat without throwing up or dumping and this is without WLS! Also he is 6' 4" and 195 pounds. He freaks if he breaks 200. My mother in law still wears the same size 10 clothing she did 30 years ago.
I'm lucky he loves my curves, however he fears losing them and me post op. Weight is a sensitive issue at our house because I'm the only one who is really fat, yet they all diet and focus on how fat they are everyday.

Thanks everyone for the support. I really do need the push. As a nurse, I know what is best for me. It's more about convincing others.

Hello and welcome! Good luck as you move forward with this pre-op process. My husband still voices his worry and concerns over me having this surgery but is being supportive overall. I appreciate his concerns but I'm doing this for me. I need to regain my health. For once I'm putting myself first.

@CherylWRN welcome. I am also pre operative.

My family (no husband) is not supportive. I had r n y in 2003. All my family can see is that I regained all my weight and why do I think this will work. Everyone in my family is normal weight. I know what you're going through. You will get great support here. The information you'll gain will give you confidence.

Latest posts

Back