Hi all! I am looking for a stateside DS surgeon

A Dixon

Hi all! I was so disappointed to not be able to get the money together for my DS with Dr Esquerra scheduled for May 19th. One of the people I had asked to help refused for me to go to Mexicali if she was providing the $12,000 funding.

I live in Richmond Virginia, and it looks as if a Dr Sudan at Duke (3 hours away) does the procedure. Has anyone used him? Any reputation that you could share with me?

I would have to be a cash pay, but I have seen where there is a grant program available, so I am going to pursue that, too. There is quite a wait for that one, and no promise that it will work out...

I feel very depressed....I was scheduled with Dr Esquerra on May 19th, applied for my passport and everything...putting energy into manifesting the reality of being told yes by this very wealthy friend of 40 years who is 90 pounds overweight herself. I actually am crushed. I was very hopeful that she would help...I feel worse than I did before...

Any insight would be appreciated.

I asked for a quote from Dr Sudan previously as a self pay. Can't recall if this was with them knowing about the band removal:

The Estimated cost of this procedure is:​

Duodenal Switch:

Surgeon Fee: $9,000

Hospital Fee: $20,000.00

Anesthesia: $2,300.00*

Total: $31,300.00
He's very well respected, though I found his staff far, far less responsive than Gagner's - but I was also wanting a phone consult first, which seemed like I was asking for the earth. That won't apply to you if you're nearby.

I ended up going to Gagner because it was half the price when currency was factored in for an equivalently experienced surgeon.

@A Dixon
You have several vetted surgeons in your area. (East of the Mississippi).
Dr. Sudan (as you mentioned)
Dr. Elirany (he's in VA and is @OldBroad's surgeon)
Dr. Greenbaum in NJ
Dr. Bonanni in Abington, PA
Dr. Boyce in Knoxville, TN
Dr. Dennis Smith in Celebration, FL
Then we have a couple of Boyce trained newer DS surgeons (and Dr. Smith trained Boyce)
Dr. Glembot in Winchester, VA
Dr. Salameh in Arlington, VA.
And we have a new one with Sudan (can't remember his name) and another DS surgeon in NC: Dr. Ng (I've seen his operative reports).

So while they are not on every corner like the RNY, they are out there.

Dr. Sharma in Jacksonville, FL was far less than $31k for the regular 2 anastomoses DS. I think about $20k out the door? He did a good job on someone who posts here infrequently.

I'm sorry about your friend's arrogance regarding foreign doctors, when US healthcare is actually rated 37th to that in other countries, according to WHO. So she'll give you the money, but only if you go where she wants you to go -- and she has utterly no knowledge on vetting a DS surgeon? Sheesh.

Last I knew Dr. Greenbaum had the best self-pay deal in the USA and he has an excellent reputation, BUT he does the DS open. I don't know if that's a deal breaker for you or not.
Any hope you could get your wealthy friend to read the posts here about Mexicali and Dr. Esquerra? Maybe she would even benefit a bit herself? She would find that both he and the hospital are very well regarded. I'm so sorry she didn't come through for you. Whatever happens, don't give up.

Hi all! I was so disappointed to not be able to get the money together for my DS with Dr Esquerra scheduled for May 19th. One of the people I had asked to help refused for me to go to Mexicali if she was providing the $12,000 funding.

I live in Richmond Virginia, and it looks as if a Dr Sudan at Duke (3 hours away) does the procedure. Has anyone used him? Any reputation that you could share with me?

I would have to be a cash pay, but I have seen where there is a grant program available, so I am going to pursue that, too. There is quite a wait for that one, and no promise that it will work out...

I feel very depressed....I was scheduled with Dr Esquerra on May 19th, applied for my passport and everything...putting energy into manifesting the reality of being told yes by this very wealthy friend of 40 years who is 90 pounds overweight herself. I actually am crushed. I was very hopeful that she would help...I feel worse than I did before...

Any insight would be appreciated.

Can you find another support person who would be willing to go with you? It can be difficult to tell others, but I have found that many people are often very supportive if you give them the chance.

Never mind, I misread what you wrote. I agree with Laura and show her the reviews and comments online. Dr. Greenbaum's DS price for surgery and hospital is now approximately $24,000.

Can you find another support person who would be willing to go with you? It can be difficult to tell others, but I have found that many people are often very supportive if you give them the chance.
That's a good idea. But, it's not so much the support, as it is coming up with the money. I'm not giving up though!

I asked for a quote from Dr Sudan previously as a self pay. Can't recall if this was with them knowing about the band removal:

Duodenal Switch:

He's very well respected, though I found his staff far, far less responsive than Gagner's - but I was also wanting a phone consult first, which seemed like I was asking for the earth. That won't apply to you if you're nearby.

I ended up going to Gagner because it was half the price when currency was factored in for an equivalently experienced surgeon.
Thanks! That's very helpful information....

@A Dixon
You have several vetted surgeons in your area. (East of the Mississippi).
Dr. Sudan (as you mentioned)
Dr. Elirany (he's in VA and is @OldBroad's surgeon)
Dr. Greenbaum in NJ
Dr. Bonanni in Abington, PA
Dr. Boyce in Knoxville, TN
Dr. Dennis Smith in Celebration, FL
Then we have a couple of Boyce trained newer DS surgeons (and Dr. Smith trained Boyce)
Dr. Glembot in Winchester, VA
Dr. Salameh in Arlington, VA.
And we have a new one with Sudan (can't remember his name) and another DS surgeon in NC: Dr. Ng (I've seen his operative reports).

So while they are not on every corner like the RNY, they are out there.
Thank you...that's great information!

Duodenal Switch:

Thanks for that info...those numbers are pretty hard for me to get to...I'm not giving up though!

Latest posts

Back