Hey

babystacie78

Hi, I’m almost 7 yr post op with a VSG.. now looking to revise to RNY.. DS not an option because I wouldn’t meet weight requirements.. looking forward to reading and learning

What weight requirement? Anyone who qualifies for bariatric surgery as being medically necessary can have a DS, as it is standard of care for morbid obesity - even for BMI 35 with a significant comorbidity. If your surgeon refuses, find another surgeon; if your insurance has an inappropriate rule, we can help you appeal.

Welcome! I was just going to post about the weight requirement, but DianaCox beat me to it. Don't settle. If you truly want gastric bypass, fine, I won't understand but it's your choice. If the DS is what you really want, fight for it. Once you have gastric bypass, you will almost certainly have to live with it for the rest of your life. The effort to get what you really want/need is worth it.

Excuse me, I misspoke... as far as BMI requirment for DS.. apparently it has changed with my insurance. Only one dr in my area does DS and I don’t want to use him, so that backs me into the RNY.. I don’t want to go out of my area, I was forced to go 3 hours away for my sleeve and that made support really hard, so I don’t want to make that mistake again. I’m doubtful I will be approved but really need it because unlike prior to last surgery I have now been diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. My cpap and I do not jive, even after 2 long years

I really hope you will reconsider the trade off of a few days of inconvenience for traveling to a qualified surgeon over a lifetime of potential regret over having picked the wrong surgery, especially a revision surgery, and when you may not even need surgery on your stomach if your sleeve is adequate.

That makes NO sense to me whatsoever.

As a recent revision to DS and having to fight diligently AGAINST the RNY that my insurance was trying to offer instead, I strongly recommend that you thoroughly research the long term efficacy of each surgery, what actually happens to your guts in each, and anything else you can to educate yourself as much as possible. If you truly decide that RNY is for you, go for it, but they are drastically different and I would have travelled much further for my surgeon and the DS.

babystacie78, Hi and welcome! I agree with the others. Revision of VSG to a RNY is adding drastic stomach surgery, including loss of function of the pyloric valve, to a similar intestinal reconfiguration that you would get with DS. DS has better long term weight loss results than RNY. Your call, but I truly don't understand why you would do that. In any case, I wish you the best on your revision journey and look forward to reading about it! :)

Last edited:
Welcome babystacie78

My BMI when I had my DS was 35.2. IF you want to fight your insurance rather than settle for the RNY, get with DianaCox and Larra for help. They have successfully fought other insurance companies to cover the DS if they cover ANY WLS AT ALL.

Latest posts

Back