Hey Y'all!

Ray_Of_Fricken_Sunshine

Hello Everyone!

I just wanted to say hello! I kindof felt rude just lurking around, reading everyone's archives and stalking y'alls pictures! LoL
I just recently joined this group and another group, trying to get all the information that I can. I've said it before... When I had my first group orientation at the Weight Loss Surgery Center, I was so overwhelmed with information. Now, I'm so overwhelmed with questions. Reading y'all's posts are helping tremendously, though.
I've completed all of my prerequisites, and am now waiting for my surgery date for my DS.
For 15 years, I didn't have insurance. I was having so many problems, including my weight steadily rising, despite persistent excersize and moderate eating habits. By the time I was finally able to get insurance, my endocrinologist diagnosed me with severe PCOS. She tried every treatment she had, even prescription weight loss meds, to no avail. She recommended I have this surgery to basically "restart" my hormones and metabolic system. Unfortunately, that insurance didn't cover the surgery, so I had to wait another two years before we could afford insurance that would. And now I wait.....

Anyways, thanks for having me!

Hi and welcome! So good to see you here. You'll find all sorts of great information. Who is your surgeon? I ask because, as you may already be reading here, there are some surgeons claiming to do the DS but really doing an experimental version that does not have well documented long term results. Given your metabolic problems and how long standing they are, it sounds like you need all the benefits you can get out of this surgery, and that's with the standard, 2 anastomosis DS and not the experimental version with a whole lot of confusion names - loop DS/SADI/SIPS and probably a couple others.

Hi and welcome! So good to see you here. You'll find all sorts of great information. Who is your surgeon? I ask because, as you may already be reading here, there are some surgeons claiming to do the DS but really doing an experimental version that does not have well documented long term results. Given your metabolic problems and how long standing they are, it sounds like you need all the benefits you can get out of this surgery, and that's with the standard, 2 anastomosis DS and not the experimental version with a whole lot of confusion names - loop DS/SADI/SIPS and probably a couple others.

Hey Miss Larra! Thanks again for the invite!
I'm having surgery at Duke, and my surgeon is Dr. Guerron(Though some refer to him as Guerron-Cruz). One of the first things I asked him through their messaging system was if he was, in fact, doing a true DS with 2 anastomosis. He assured me(in writing!) that he was performing the true DS, "No imposters".
I have tried to research him further. He is from Ecuador, though he has worked with Duke for quite some time, and was trained specifically to do the DS through their fellowship program.
He assures me he's done a large number of these surgeries, and the rest of the staff keep insisting he's incredible. I just can't seem to find any more info.
I am currently trying to learn as much as I can so that I can try to persuade him to be as aggressive as possible.... I'm still learning about stomach sizes and Common Channel lengths.
Any help/suggestions y'all may have to offer is always welcome!

Last edited:
Dr. Sudan at Duke is well known and well regarded as an excellent DS surgeon. It sounds like Dr. Guerron has trained with Dr. Sudan, in which case you should be just fine. And you are already asking all the right questions.
We need more DS surgeons, and it's both awesome and necessary that the current experienced and well known DS surgeons are training and bringing on the next generation of DS surgeons. Otherwise, at some point there wouldn't be any left.

Hi Ray! This is the best place ever when you need support or answers to your questions. I'm in your same boat--waiting for my surgery date for my DS. Nice to meet you!

Latest posts

Back