Hey! Paleo Nazi!

The PaleoNazi is posting about a storm she is enduring on the rig in the North Sea, which is being pounded with waves of 24.4 meters. I checked - that's EIGHTY (80) FOOT HIGH WAVES.

I'm terrified and seasick on her behalf. I'm guessing it helps her weight loss to puke everything she eats??? (She claims to be just fine, thankyouverymuch, but I don't know how!)

One of my veggie friends posted this:
http://www.takepart.com/article/201...elieve-science-dont-go-paleo?cmpid=foodinc-fb

The comments are amusing. The science is squishy.
Yes...I have seen similar opinions. Thse paleo people also ate freakin' GRUBS...and other disgusting things.

OTOH, my BIG problem is carbs. And if I can find high protein goodies with lots of fats and few or no carbs, I may benefit. Hiwever, the first recipe I found was nutritionally somewhat equivalent to a Reese's PB Cup...so I have to keep looking. I'm sure that SOMEONE knows why the carbs in honey are supposed to be better than the carbs in sugar, but that won't be me.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/natural-honey-better-granulated-sugar-9616.html

Not better - different. (And May Berenbaum is a college classmate of mine, and "On 3 October 2014, President Barack Obama awarded the National Medal of Science to Berenbaum. She received the medal in a White House ceremony on Nov. 20, 2014." I am thisclose to her greatness!)

Composition
Both honey and granulated sugar come from natural sources, but honey, which is sold raw or pasteurized, undergoes much less processing than white granulated sugar. Honey and sugar differ in the types and ratios of carbohydrates they contain. Both are composed of roughly equal amounts of glucose and fructose, but in sugar, the two are bound together to make sucrose. Honey contains a higher percentage of fructose, and the fructose and glucose aren’t bound together, so it's digested differently from sugar. Honey also contains other carbohydrate groups called oligosaccharides, which could have beneficial effects.

Calories and Carbs
One tablespoon of sugar yields 49 calories and about 15 grams of carbohydrate. Honey, which is denser than sugar, has 68 calories and 17.2 grams of carbohydrate per tablespoon. However, honey tastes sweeter than sugar so you may use less of it.

Nutrients and Antioxidants
Any vitamins and minerals are stripped away when white granulated sugar is processed, so sugar is empty calories. Honey does contain small amounts of antioxidants, but not enough to matter unless you eat a lot of it. But when you do eat sugar, replacing regular granulated sugar with honey is probably a good idea, according to University of Illinois researcher May Berenbaum. Her research has also shown that darker honeys, such as buckwheat honey, provide more antioxidants than lighter honeys.

Effects on Blood Sugar and Lipids
There’s some evidence that honey may lower blood sugar and blood lipids such as cholesterol in diabetics, according to a review published in the July 2012 issue of the "International Journal of Biological Sciences." According to the researchers, either honey’s fructose or its oligosaccharides could be responsible for its beneficial effects. However, the evidence is sparse, and the team recommended more well-designed studies.

Safety
Honey does pose one health safety concern that sugar doesn’t. Honey can contain a small number of botulism spores, so you should never give it to a baby under the age of 1. Babies' immune systems aren’t fully developed, but adults can safely eat honey.

OTOH, my BIG problem is carbs. And if I can find high protein goodies with lots of fats and few or no carbs, I may benefit. Hiwever, the first recipe I found was nutritionally somewhat equivalent to a Reese's PB Cup...so I have to keep looking. I'm sure that SOMEONE knows why the carbs in honey are supposed to be better than the carbs in sugar, but that won't be me.

ALL I know is the effect they had on my blood sugar using my blood glucose meter. Sugar gave me a very quick HIGH rise but honey was a very slow rise and not very high.

Of the two, honey affects me the least. And I know eating local honey helps (OR can be disastrous) with allergies since the bees use LOCAL plants.

The PaleoNazi is posting about a storm she is enduring on the rig in the North Sea, which is being pounded with waves of 24.4 meters. I checked - that's EIGHTY (80) FOOT HIGH WAVES.

I'm terrified and seasick on her behalf. I'm guessing it helps her weight loss to puke everything she eats??? (She claims to be just fine, thankyouverymuch, but I don't know how!)
That sounds like fun. Be cool to watch that crazy ass storm. I think the biggest I've been in was 6-7 footers but that was in my 21ft fishing boat so they seemed huge :)

I've always wanted to ride along on a crab boat in Deadliest Catch. Not actually work mind you, I'm not stupid. But maybe be the cook and shoot the shit with the captain. Lol

I used to love honey in my tea, but, now there is an apiarist on our block. I am pleased to have hives nearby which benefit local gardens, but I've been politely declining her offers for free honey since she confided in me that she often finds roaches in her hives. Apparently wood roaches love bee hives, so it is a fairly common pairing. The thought makes me a bit queasy..

Last edited:
I used to love honey in my tea, but, now there is an apiarist on our block. I am pleased to hives nearby which benefit local gardens, but I've been politely declining her offers for free honey since she confided in me that she often finds roaches in her hives. Apparently wood roaches love bee hives, so it is a fairly common pairing. The thought makes me a bit queasy..
Ugh, ew! :sick:

I'm alive! I got back on shore yesterday and today I'm eating sirloin and garlic prawns aka surf and turf with butter..so much butter.

Paleo is amazing...I even had full blown sugar withdrawls...sweats vomiting the works. Intense. The change to my body is massive, I'm not bloated and I'm not in pain. Just wow.

Carry on...and Bugger....get your arse into gear!

I'm alive! I got back on shore yesterday and today I'm eating sirloin and garlic prawns aka surf and turf with butter..so much butter.

Paleo is amazing...I even had full blown sugar withdrawls...sweats vomiting the works. Intense. The change to my body is massive, I'm not bloated and I'm not in pain. Just wow.

Carry on...and Bugger....get your arse into gear!

Finally...I kept looking at weather reports. Didn't call because I've had the cold from hell...and now, just for fun,
I've added conjunctivitis.

I did make coconut flour pancakes just to see if it worked. It worked. But it required something called "cooking." So now, every time Himself leaves the house, I ask him to pick me up a side order of bacon at the local restaurant. Cold is less awful, but crap! It's been going on for NINE days now. I'm milking it for all it's worth, too!

Speaking of which, reporting in regarding MY cold from hell or Ebola or whatever it was:

1) Got sick a week ago Sunday. Treated with Mucinex and added Sudafed to dry the waterworks, and Mucinex with benadryl at night.
2) Monday remembered that I had Zicam. Used that about 4 times over the next couple of days. Monday was miserable as well. Treated with Mucinex and added Sudafed to dry the waterworks, and Mucinex with benadryl at night.
3) Tuesday: Got better, but kept using the Mucinex. Went without the Sudafed that night, nose not really running, though a little stuffy.
4) Wednesday: Was still a little better. No meds.
5) Thursday - I no longer felt like I was "sick" with a cold, just the slightly congested residual nasal sounding, and mouth breathing at night for a couple more days.

It didn't get into my chest, and I didn't end up with a stuffed snotty nose. I might have to use the Zicam next time too.

Oh, and in the meantime, the same cold for Charles, who won't take meds unless he's dying, lasted the week before my cold and all the following week as well - to the extent that he could not sleep lying down for at least 10 days.

It didn't get into my chest, and I didn't end up with a stuffed snotty nose. I might have to use the Zicam next time too.
The cold I got from the grandson back on the 26th of Dec is still lingering in my right ear.

Mine typically do not go to my chest, they go to my ears. Right now, it's mainly an annoyance more than a real PAIN.

Latest posts

Back