Hey! I'm a newbie

Welcome! It's a great decision. I was self pay too. Best money I ever spent. I did go to Mexico to save the money, if you want to know more, we can talk about it. Lots of people here have gone to MX to save some money. Mine was 11k vs. 35K in the States.

But, I suspect NC is less.

Welcome again
Mine is $14,995 and I am so excited!!!

Good call. This is from his bio, "Dr. Enochs recently added the Sleeve Gastrectomy with Single Anastamosis Duodenoilial Bypass (SIPS/SADS/SADI-S) to the arsenal of procedures he performs. This procedure is one of the latest advancements in bariatric surgery and provides patients with increased weight loss as well as may resolve type 2 diabetes altogether. Most patients currently undergoing this procedure with Dr. Enochs are participating in a multi-center year long research study."
Dr. Enochs is so sweet and we did talk about doing the SIPS, but after I researched it myself I decided to do the original DS because the other one is still considered experimental and the biggest problem people are having with the SIPS is bile reflux and I don't want any added problems.

Dr. Enochs is so sweet and we did talk about doing the SIPS, but after I researched it myself I decided to do the original DS because the other one is still considered experimental and the biggest problem people are having with the SIPS is bile reflux and I don't want any added problems.
Make sure you pin him down on how long a common channel. Or tell him to use the Hess method to figure it.

We have seen some reports from NC surgeons (and no I don't remember which ones) who are doing a 2 Anastomosis DS but making the common channel MUCH longer as in 300 instead of a typical 100.

Make sure you pin him down on how long a common channel. Or tell him to use the Hess method to figure it.

We have seen some reports from NC surgeons (and no I don't remember which ones) who are doing a 2 Anastomosis DS but making the common channel MUCH longer as in 300 instead of a typical 100.
Yes, that is what my doctor said they do because the typical 100 is causing patience to have to much malabsortion problems.

Yes, that is what my doctor said they do because the typical 100 is causing patience to have to much malabsortion problems.

This is RIDICULOUS and WRONG. A proper DS is meant to provide the weight loss magic from malabsorption which we counter by adjusting our vitamin and mineral intake as driven by our laboratory results (every one has different needs). The only problems arise when surgeons and their nutritionists give inadequate nutritional advice (which is sadly the norm) and then blame the surgery for it!!

Please please investigate more. A VSG with a 300 common channel is just going to end up being a lifetime diet for you. You deserve to get this done right!!

There are many other surgeons who do a PROPER DS. I used Esquerra in MX as have many others on this site and have nothing but good things to say. I'm 5'5" and weigh 123!!!!!!

I have 100 cm too.
Please be careful. The single anastomosis procedure uses a 300 cm common channel. Some surgeons are being very deceptive about this. The call it a loop DS or LDS, even though it's a single anastomosis procedure.

I've read that the channel lengths produce roughly the same weight loss initially, but that 200 cm leads to greater weight gain over time (see article). I think 300 cm might affect maintaining weight loss even more. Better nutritional status is just a theory since there isn't 10-year data with channels that long.

Since it is faster to do a single anastomosis procedure, I wonder if surgeons are just trying to save operative time.

I would talk to a different surgeon and ask their advice before letting Enoch's operate. You probably won't get a second chance for a better weight loss surgery if you need it, since revisions are not always covered with insurance.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1550728916000198

The DS done properly is done using the Hess Method.

According to the CPT code for the DS, the common channel is no more 100.

My cc is 100 cm, I'm 11 years post-op and doing just fine, thank you. My surgeon was one of the few providing appropriate nutritional guidance. I have followed that guidance. I recognized from the first that this was a lifetime commitment and for me, the opportunity to finally resolve my struggle with obesity was well worth taking on the responsibility to eat protein and take all necessary vitamins and minerals for life.
Don't let your surgeon sell you short. You deserve the same opportunity that I've had. Insist on appropriate limb lengths, in accordance with what the available long term studies have shown to be effective and what he's committing to do when he requests and gets approval for an insurance code that specifies what the DS is. And it ISN'T something with an excessively long common channel. If he isn't willing to do it right, vote with your feet, as they say, and let those feet take you to a different surgeon.

I'd be very upset if I were 2.5 weeks away from surgery and read that I was not going to get the proper DS surgery. I think I'd be angry at the messengers, too, cuz they're just a bunch of people on the internet. And my first thought would be to go ahead and just get it done anyway because I was so close to the date and this guy is a DOCTOR, and well, I could always go and have a second surgery if this didn't work.

Think twice. Cut once.

There is NO DATA to support the success of a 300 cm common channel. None. If your surgeon says there is peer reviewed studies showing that this is an effective length, ask to see them. There IS data going back 15-20 years showing the success of a DS with Hess method or a standard common channel of 100. Tell him you want a common channel per Hess method or no longer than 100cm -- this is the one with the statistical facts to show success and, tell him, as a SCIENTIST, he too should follow the facts.

A second surgery will result in slower and perhaps incomplete weight loss. There is nothing like the power of a virgin DS.

Latest posts

Back