Hey Everyone, I'm excited, anxious, and scared all at the same time, LOL! Is this normal?

WillJackson

Hey all, I'm in NC and in the Pre-Op phase of having the DS. I have my psych eval and upper GI this week. Don't know what to expect from either, never had them. After that I will have finished all my pre-op tests/requirements except the nutrition class and my 3rd wls appointment, which is early July. I started this journey in May. Can somebody tell me how soon they will submit to insurance (I'm w/ BCBS), then approval, then surgery date? Not like i'm in a rush, lol, must be the "excited" part I mentioned in the title. I'm sure once I get approved and a surgery date, the "anxious and scared" will really kick in. I've got so many questions...I'll try not to ask so many up here...thank you in advance.

Welcome @WillJackson
It will happen as it happens. Each person's insurance has its own timetable. Even two people with the same BCBSNC will be different depending on employer or Medicare Advantage or Medicaid.

Upper GI x-ray or scope? I've had a scope and there's very little bother. No hideous prep, just can't eat for a short period before the exam. It's done under conscious sedation. They put a small tube in your mouth that's held in place by a strap.

No one can give you a wait time because there are too many variables.

Your feelings are completely normal.

Welcome @WillJackson! For the psych eval, the psychologist will most likely interview you and ask questions about your social/family history, current relationship and work history, history of weight and weight loss attempts, and then you will complete an online (or paper/pencil) assessment regarding your personality, coping skills, attitudes, and eating behaviors. You will go back for a second appointment at which time the psychologist will provide results and recommendations. You will not "fail" but it is possible the psych will say you need a few therapy sessions to strengthen some of your skills or to manage depression or whatever the results indicate.

Wow, thanks @Settledownnow. I thought he would just let me lay on the "couch" and tell me I'm cuckoo for cocoa puffs. Thank you for the "pacing." Lately, I've been feeling like everything (the tests, appts, etc.) are happening so quickly, I don't want to be disappointed if I don't get a surgery date sooner than later. I just want to be the healthiest I can be sooner than later. Thank you for the wisdom, YOU ROCK! Looking forward to chatting more with you all! This is a great support system.

I should also add that the psychologist will ask you about the WLS surgery to assess your understanding of the specific surgery. They might ask you to describe how the surgery would assist you to achieve your weight loss goals, and if you understand the lifestyle requirements (i.e. diet requirement, supplements, follow-up with doc, etc.), and to describe your support system (or how you will find support) post-surgery.

With regard to the upper GI, if your doctor ordered an x-ray it is just a barium swallow. You are completely awake and involved in the process. You stand in front of an x-ray machine swallow this gross, thick, chalky drink, and the tech and radiologist watch the gunk go down as a way to check for problems. Upper GI https://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=uppergi

The EGD or upper endoscopy is the one where you are given some type of light anesthesia. The scope is inserted into your esophagus while you are out and checks out your upper digestive track. See http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/upper-endoscopy#1

It's normal to be scared and anxious. I really did not want to do the surgery, but felt like I had no choice. But it was the best decision I ever made.

Good luck

Welcome! Who is your surgeon? Have you discussed the length of the common channel? My psych exam was limited to my understanding of the surgery, my psych history and the weirdest question of all, "why do you think you became obese?" I gave her the answer she wanted to hear (i ate too much too often) rather than the one I wanted to give her (because I am physiologically different from others, have a pathological sense of hunger, and do not burn food for fuel but I store it as fat more than others.)

Hi and welcome @WillJackson ! DS was among the best decisions I ever made, but also one of the most difficult. In my mind, a good sign of sanity is being scared and anxious for a difficult and life-altering (for the better!) procedure. Wishing you all the best!

Hi and welcome @WillJackson ! DS was among the best decisions I ever made, but also one of the most difficult. In my mind, a good sign of sanity is being scared and anxious for a difficult and life-altering (for the better!) procedure. Wishing you all the best!

This is very well said. You know, I got surgery becasue after yoyoing for years and 100 pounds at a time, I got every comordbity one can get. I really did not want to have surgery. It was such a hard decision and I did not want to do it. I remember saying to my bestie the night before we flew to my surgery, I don't want to do this and she said you don't have to and I said, I don't know what else to do. I had hit rock bottom.

Well, it was the best decision I ever made. I'm healthy...no more diabities and all the others. And my life has opened up. I'm going through the job hunting process and I'm an executive and I feel so amazing when I walk into interviews. I had my surgery 10 months ago and I'm down 115 pounds. And I have 15 pounds to go.

Agree that it's a sign of sanity to be scare and anxious. This is a big decision. I think it's the biggest decision I ever made and really, I felt like I had no other option.

I gained great stregth from this board. I just kept thinking all these people are happy they did it. And they all said they wish they did it sooner. For me, I was up and about in the first few months without a problem, but it took me a long time to feel back to normal. Maybe 7 months.

You'll do great. Good luck.

Wow you all ROCK, thank you so much! Had my Psych eval today, I think it went well...made me feel even more confident I am doing the right thing. I have my upper GI on fri! I love the support here and can't wait to give back to others up here! To @KathrynK, my surgeon is Dr. Jon Bruce, in Cary NC, haven't discussed length of common channel, next appointment I will ask that question and more I have.

Hi @WillJackson and welcome. Glad you've found your way to this community--you'll get the best and clearest advice here and lots of support. Prepare yourself for the psyche eval questionnaire as it's pretty massive and really bizarre. I found the psych eval time consuming and expensive and not especially revealing in terms of whether or not the patient is really prepared for bariatric surgery. That might just be me overthinking it, but the process was like A.) talk to psychologist for 10 minutes about pretty much nothing B.) pay psychologist exorbitant fee C.) fill our bizarre questionnaire of 500 questions D.) never hear back from psychologist or surgeon's office about "results."

Best of luck on getting a quick approval!

Latest posts

Back