Hey all, new here to their site

@southernlady has given you some really important questions to ask of your surgeon. There are some surgeons these days doing an experimental variation of the DS and calling it "the DS" when it is significantly different and long term results are unknown. There are some good threads here already that you can read to get more info - look for anything about SADI/aka SIPS/aka loop DS. These are all different names for the experimental version that is not the standard of care DS that has been done for over 25 years and has excellent and well documented long term results.

@southernlady has given you some really important questions to ask of your surgeon. There are some surgeons these days doing an experimental variation of the DS and calling it "the DS" when it is significantly different and long term results are unknown. There are some good threads here already that you can read to get more info - look for anything about SADI/aka SIPS/aka loop DS. These are all different names for the experimental version that is not the standard of care DS that has been done for over 25 years and has excellent and well documented long term results.

Thank you both for that guidance. I read up extensively on the DS and the variations. It's scary to think some people think they are getting the DS but they don't. Having read those stories I already talked to my surgeon at my last appointment and verified he will preform the traditional DS. He showed me pictures, gave me extended explanations and everything. He doesnt use the hess standard but instead will do a 100cc. I know this is a point of controversy with people, but i have intestinal issues so this ia our plan. He's even going to use the davinci surgery machine to perform the surgery. He's going to remove my gallbladder at the request of my PCP. Ill be in the hospital 3-4 days and he will perform a leak test to ensure everything is good. He's a very competent Dr. Every review I've seen of his had been great.

This sounds good - a 100 cm common channel is consistent with a real 2 anastomosis DS. I have a cookie cutter DS myself with a 100 cm cc and it worked out just fine for me. I realize it doesn't work out fine for everyone, but it sounds like you and your surgeon have reasons for this decision. The most important thing is that you're getting a real DS and not an unpleasant surprise.

This sounds good - a 100 cm common channel is consistent with a real 2 anastomosis DS. I have a cookie cutter DS myself with a 100 cm cc and it worked out just fine for me. I realize it doesn't work out fine for everyone, but it sounds like you and your surgeon have reasons for this decision. The most important thing is that you're getting a real DS and not an unpleasant surprise.

Yes! A surprise would not have been good. I even checked the cpt code my insurance approved to make sure lol

Hello and welcome. A couple of quick points:

1. You didn't fail. The sleeve failed you. Please remember that. The data tells us that most people lose a good part, or all of their excess weight, but a great many do not keep the weight off and have significant regain. The sleeve is just basically forced caloric reduction and if most of us could have eaten that amount prior to the surgery we wouldn't have needed the DS.
  2. This surgery should be a relatively easy recovery for you compared to your original VSG, unless he is redoing the sleeve (Unless there is something really wrong with your sleeve I am a huge proponent of leaving it alone because it increases risk of really bad GERD, possible stricture and other complications.
  3. If you read any posts from me you will see that I am a huge proponent of the HESS Method which is original DS, because it optimizes the DS for each individual patient as we all have different anatomies, medical history, etc. I was messed up because Dr Stephen Marshall does the "cookie cutter" DS with a 100 CM CC and a 150 CM AL. Please note that the AL is just as crucial to the DS as the CC. Anyway, my total absorbing path which to confuse matters is also called the AL by some (CC + AL = Total AL as I call it), was to short for my total small bowel length (SBL) and it caused me severe nutritional deficit which was rectified by Dr K. Even though I think the HESS DS is the only way the DS should be done, many people fall into a window where the standard limb lengths end up being pretty close to the 40% of SBL....so it works for most. It is those of us who fall on the tails of the normal distribution for total SBL who are put at risk of malnutrition if our total SBL is long, and on the other side of that normal distribution curve are those with a short SBL so they end up not losing as much weight as they would like to lose. What lady wants to have the surgery and go from 375 lbs to 250? Sure that is better than nothing but is still morbidly obese. In any case, chances are that you will do just fine with the standar limb length DS.
  4. Your recovery for this procedure if only the switch component is happening should be much easier than the VSG surgery. My revision was that way in that my sleeve wasn't touched so I could eat normal food immediately as well as drink just fine. My wife brought In-N-Out to me for lunch the next day (double with cheese, fries and a Chocolate milk shake :D ) The not touching the sleeve was a blessing to me because my original DS recovery sucked because I could barely eat or drink much of anything for a good 3-4 months.
I am glad you have done a lot of research and that you found this board. These ladies have really helped me a ton over the years with their advice on living with the DS. Specifically the guidance on proper supplementation, specific lab test that are needed and with advice on how to eat.

Again, welcome and best wishes on a smooth procedure and recovery.

Hello and welcome. A couple of quick points:

1. You didn't fail. The sleeve failed you. Please remember that. The data tells us that most people lose a good part, or all of their excess weight, but a great many do not keep the weight off and have significant regain. The sleeve is just basically forced caloric reduction and if most of us could have eaten that amount prior to the surgery we wouldn't have needed the DS.
  2. This surgery should be a relatively easy recovery for you compared to your original VSG, unless he is redoing the sleeve (Unless there is something really wrong with your sleeve I am a huge proponent of leaving it alone because it increases risk of really bad GERD, possible stricture and other complications.
  3. If you read any posts from me you will see that I am a huge proponent of the HESS Method which is original DS, because it optimizes the DS for each individual patient as we all have different anatomies, medical history, etc. I was messed up because Dr Stephen Marshall does the "cookie cutter" DS with a 100 CM CC and a 150 CM AL. Please note that the AL is just as crucial to the DS as the CC. Anyway, my total absorbing path which to confuse matters is also called the AL by some (CC + AL = Total AL as I call it), was to short for my total small bowel length (SBL) and it caused me severe nutritional deficit which was rectified by Dr K. Even though I think the HESS DS is the only way the DS should be done, many people fall into a window where the standard limb lengths end up being pretty close to the 40% of SBL....so it works for most. It is those of us who fall on the tails of the normal distribution for total SBL who are put at risk of malnutrition if our total SBL is long, and on the other side of that normal distribution curve are those with a short SBL so they end up not losing as much weight as they would like to lose. What lady wants to have the surgery and go from 375 lbs to 250? Sure that is better than nothing but is still morbidly obese. In any case, chances are that you will do just fine with the standar limb length DS.
  4. Your recovery for this procedure if only the switch component is happening should be much easier than the VSG surgery. My revision was that way in that my sleeve wasn't touched so I could eat normal food immediately as well as drink just fine. My wife brought In-N-Out to me for lunch the next day (double with cheese, fries and a Chocolate milk shake :D ) The not touching the sleeve was a blessing to me because my original DS recovery sucked because I could barely eat or drink much of anything for a good 3-4 months.
I am glad you have done a lot of research and that you found this board. These ladies have really helped me a ton over the years with their advice on living with the DS. Specifically the guidance on proper supplementation, specific lab test that are needed and with advice on how to eat.

Again, welcome and best wishes on a smooth procedure and recovery.

Hi! Thank u so much for the welcome and the #1. I really appreciate it.
You have definitely given me food for thought and explained the hess method better then I've read before.
Unfortunately I do have to be resleeved. My gastroenterologist did an unrelated EGD (I have other health issues that require it) and he said if he hadn't known I had the VSG, he never would have guessed. Apparently my stomach looked normal size. My surgeon did a barium swallow to confirm. Sure enough, it was significantly enlarged and in an hourglass shape. That's when I was offered a resleeve, rny, or Ds I'm not looking forward to the pain or liquid diet, but at least I know it will force me to be good.
I'm still learning g to navigate this site so I having read your story. Do you regularly eat take out without issues?

Hi and sorry that you need to be resleeved, but as you kind of said it isn't the end of the world. I am sure you will do fine. Almost everyone did better with the sleeve part than I did.

Regarding eating take out: I eat out quite a bit (more than we should) and I can eat just about anything. I try to stay away from or limit breading, pasta and a few things that I know will give me painful gas and bloating....but I do eat them on occasion. In fact just polished off a bowl of Edy's cookie dough ice cream that my wife brought home from the store tonight. Ice cream tends to run through me but it doesn't typically causing bloating or pain.

Hi and sorry that you need to be resleeved, but as you kind of said it isn't the end of the world. I am sure you will do fine. Almost everyone did better with the sleeve part than I did.

Regarding eating take out: I eat out quite a bit (more than we should) and I can eat just about anything. I try to stay away from or limit breading, pasta and a few things that I know will give me painful gas and bloating....but I do eat them on occasion. In fact just polished off a bowl of Edy's cookie dough ice cream that my wife brought home from the store tonight. Ice cream tends to run through me but it doesn't typically causing bloating or pain.

With my sleeve I disnt have much troubles healing. The hardest part was I got esophageal spasms. Those were crazy painful. Hoping I don't get them again, but at least if I do I'll know what it is (the fear of not knowing at first was hard).
That's really interesting. So would say you can eat whatever you want without gaining? Aside from tracking protein, do you track anything else? Carbs, calories etc..

With my sleeve I disnt have much troubles healing. The hardest part was I got esophageal spasms. Those were crazy painful. Hoping I don't get them again, but at least if I do I'll know what it is (the fear of not knowing at first was hard).
That's really interesting. So would say you can eat whatever you want without gaining? Aside from tracking protein, do you track anything else? Carbs, calories etc..
Honestly I don't track anything anymore. I just have a good idea what and how much I am eating.

You can't use my ability to eat and apply it to anyone else. I really am a special case because of my absorption issues. I have intentionally tried to eat a boat load of protein and carbs in order to gain weight, but it never worked. For whatever reason, just recently it appears that my absorption might be picking up because I have gained 15 lbs since the end of January when I was inpatient at St Mary's (Mayo main hospital in Rochester) for three days. I hit my low of 167 in the hospital (even with all the fluids they pumped into me in attempt to elevate my low BP) and this morning I was just under 180. I have not been trying to gain weight or doing anything differently. It just happened. If my absorption has picked up then I will have to watch what I eat more closely.

Oh o
Honestly I don't track anything anymore. I just have a good idea what and how much I am eating.

You can't use my ability to eat and apply it to anyone else. I really am a special case because of my absorption issues. I have intentionally tried to eat a boat load of protein and carbs in order to gain weight, but it never worked. For whatever reason, just recently it appears that my absorption might be picking up because I have gained 15 lbs since the end of January when I was inpatient at St Mary's (Mayo main hospital in Rochester) for three days. I hit my low of 167 in the hospital (even with all the fluids they pumped into me in attempt to elevate my low BP) and this morning I was just under 180. I have not been trying to gain weight or doing anything differently. It just happened. If my absorption has picked up then I will have to watch what I eat more closely.

No worries, I wasn't thinking I'd be as lucky to eat whatever. I know my body very well. I'm a slow looser. My body likes the fat lol.
It just fascinates me to learn others' story. I've see a lot of men have the same ability to eat what they want without gain.
You mentioned you were "messed" up from the cookie cutter cc length, do u think that's the reason u can eat whatever?

Oh o

No worries, I wasn't thinking I'd be as lucky to eat whatever. I know my body very well. I'm a slow looser. My body likes the fat lol.
It just fascinates me to learn others' story. I've see a lot of men have the same ability to eat what they want without gain.
You mentioned you were "messed" up from the cookie cutter cc length, do u think that's the reason u can eat whatever?
No problems. That being said, I don't know any DS patient who can eat like I can, male or female

You are on top of things and eager to learn and explore, so I am sure you are going to do well. This old dude is tired so I am going to bed. Good night.

Very!! I'm more nervous for this surgery then I was for the sleeve. Maybe it's the whole intestines malabsorption and the worry of screwing up? Or Maybe it's the intense fear of failure... again. These forums are awesome tho. Its reassuring to hear from so many long term vets how they would happily do over again. One thing I notice is that the happy, successful ones stress vitamin and protein adherence. I'm taking that advice and using this month to do all my vitamin and protein research/shopping.
What are your biggest fears?

I'm scared shitless that they're going to put me to sleep and I'll never wake up, just gone. I've read on a few other sites how "difficult" this surgery is and that's why so few doctors perform it and that's made me think I won't survive it. I keep trying to tell myself that I "only" have high blood pressure and sleep apnea so even though I'm a fatty fat fat, I can survive this. I keep reminding myself that my surgeon's mortality rate is 0.1% and I'm gonna make it but I'm pretty terrified. Allllmost terrified enough to say forget it. lol

I'm scared shitless that they're going to put me to sleep and I'll never wake up, just gone. I've read on a few other sites how "difficult" this surgery is and that's why so few doctors perform it and that's made me think I won't survive it. I keep trying to tell myself that I "only" have high blood pressure and sleep apnea so even though I'm a fatty fat fat, I can survive this. I keep reminding myself that my surgeon's mortality rate is 0.1% and I'm gonna make it but I'm pretty terrified. Allllmost terrified enough to say forget it. lol

Ah I totally understand. Thats my secret fear. Whenever I fall in to that hole I remind myself that without the surgery I could die too. It helps, but the fear is still there.

Latest posts

Back