Hemorrhoidectomy

harrietvane

I'm booked in on 29 May to deal with these insanely painful bastard haemorrhoids. Anyone had it done? How painful was it? Any tips for recovery?

A friend of mine had the rubber band surgery and said it wasn't bad at all compared to what she had expected.

Rubber bands are, or so I was told, for internal haemorrhoids only - so not an option for me.

Since my bout with food poisoning, I've had very large prolapsed thrombosed haemorrhoids. One ruptured, which took the pain from unbearable to merely highly uncomfortable. The other two are not going away. I'll be honest: the write-ups of the surgery I've read online sound pretty miserable...

Be prepared with drugs. Serious drugs.

I had an anal fissure, which was unspeakably painful, and since I had to be knocked out for the repair procedure anyway, I asked the colorectal surgeon to remove the external ones too, while he was "in the neighborhood." I can't tell you which was more painful, but it was overall demerol-level pain for 5 days. And then it was better and a HUGE relief.

That was in 1995. I have a few small to medium 'rhoids develop again, and ZERO interest in getting them fixed. But they don't really hurt or bleed, and I have a bidet/washlet to keep everything very clean without paper.

If you don't have a bidet/washlet which sprays warm water, you may want to consider investing in one before surgery. Your post-op ass will thank you, and then you will have one afterwards too!

If you don't have a bidet/washlet which sprays warm water, you may want to consider investing in one before surgery. Your post-op ass will thank you, and then you will have one afterwards too!

I have been looking, but a combination of (a) renting and (b) no electrical outlets in bathrooms here makes me think the Toto Portable Travel Washlet will be the best answer. If it was my apartment, I'd replace the damn toilet with a Toto one with all the bells and whistles, as the current one's flushing power is shit (pun intended). I asked in the other thread whether the Toto or similar can be uninstalled and reinstalled when I move...as someone who just moved house, did you take it with you? This is the travel one: https://www.amazon.com/HW300-W-Portable-Travel-Washlet-White/dp/B008O1G4LQ

Thanks for the heads up about drugs - not sure what Singapore's approach to pain management is. I may end up staying overnight, as I did with my gynae surgery in 2015, simply because I don't have someone to come home with me. I'm not shy about being pushy for medication when needed, though. Sadly, I only have one pain pill left from my DS!

They've given me naproxen, Daflon and Proctosedyl from now until then.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
so sorry you have this going on. I have them sometimes but thank God the always burst and or shrink down

The washlets are moveable - they replace the toilet seat, and require a hose splitter to feed the seat and toilet tank, but you take that with you too. If you have an electrical outlet somewhere nearby, you could use an extension cord - it doesn't draw a lot of power, I don't think. That's what I was going to do if we couldn't easily get a new outlet put in the WC.

Thanks, @Charris. I don't have a bathtub, and you can't buy a sitz bath here anywhere I could find, so I ended up buying a washing tub and sitting in it in the shower. My cat is really confused about what's going on and keeps coming in to check on me. You have to laugh or else you'd cry! They said I could just wait and see if they go away, but will likely recur...or just do it now. Figured I might as well bite the bullet, as it's been over two weeks already.

The washlets are moveable - they replace the toilet seat, and require a hose splitter to feed the seat and toilet tank, but you take that with you too. If you have an electrical outlet somewhere nearby, you could use an extension cord - it doesn't draw a lot of power, I don't think. That's what I was going to do if we couldn't easily get a new outlet put in the WC.

The other complication is that the toilet is built into the cabinetry (which is marble-esque). The hose etc is all housed inside the cabinetry. Might still be worth getting them to come take a look, or at the very least sending them a photo to see if it'd be possible...

IMG_5510.jpg

Thanks, @Charris. I don't have a bathtub, and you can't buy a sitz bath here anywhere I could find, so I ended up buying a washing tub and sitting in it in the shower. My cat is really confused about what's going on and keeps coming in to check on me. You have to laugh or else you'd cry! They said I could just wait and see if they go away, but will likely recur...or just do it now. Figured I might as well bite the bullet, as it's been over two weeks already. @harrietvane

omg you poor thing. yea I was going to say a sitz bath with oatmeal. ugh so you have access to a Jacuzzi? What about the blow up tubs they make ? Screenshot_20170511-000021.png

Last edited:
Have stool softeners handy in case the pain meds cause constipation. And yes, you WILL need good pain meds.

I've had a reoccurring external hemorrhoid since was laid up on bedrest while pregnant (19 years ago). I might die if I had to have it surgically excised, so I really do feel for you. I've been lucky enough that it's not terrible and I've been able to keep it under control up to this point. I use anti-inflammatory meds and softeners as needed. Love your little soak tub hack, although I am sure it must not be comfortable for you. Good that you're getting it repaired--there is no reason to keep suffering if you can get it removed.

Latest posts

Back