1. Please review your surgery details found under your profile.
  2. We have many with MIA Avatars. If you are missing yours, please reload it. Use a browser you normally do not use to check. List is in Announcements: http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/missing-avatars.5131/

Hello

Discussion in 'Say hello!' started by Dbrooks, Aug 23, 2017.

galaxygrrl

galaxygrrl Well-Known Member

Yep, a DS specific multi, an iron pill and a vitman D. I do these calcium chews that are more like candy, so they don't count. ;-)

southernlady

southernlady Administrator Staff Member

I honestly believe you are short changing your Vitamin needs. But as long as you are following your labs and the trends and getting the full DS panel of labs every time.

Caitlunn likes this.
    Susan in Tennessee

Susan in Tennessee Well-Known Member

You must be a unicorn!

galaxygrrl

My PCP actually has the DS and I met her at Dr. Rabkin's group. We have done my blood work every 3 months. I do what she says.

Susan in Tennessee

Susan in Tennessee Well-Known Member

But you ARE checking your levels yourself right and comparing one draw to the next set you have run? You get copies and keep at home or have access to online? I hate to say it, but just because she's a doctor is no guarantee she knows all about the needed vitamins. Overall I'm sure you're very lucky to have her, but please keep track yourself and remember the advice here is "tried and true"!

Spiky Bugger and hilary1617 like this.
    galaxygrrl

Yes, we go over my labs in great detail. Guess I'm a unicorn :) I rather be a Dragon - is it Sunday yet for Game of Thrones. ;-)

Caitlunn likes this.
    Spiky Bugger

Spiky Bugger Well-Known Member

Your daughter needs to try to understand the malabsorption vs malnutrition thing:

•Malabsorption is what makes the DS work better than anything else.
    •Malnutrition is what happens when you don't follow the rules.

But, as a mom, I understand the mom-concerns. In fact, my daughter is 42 and might be ALMOST old enough for the DS...lol. My DS was almost 12 years ago. Back then, I heard nothing...I'm pretty sure...about supplementing copper or zinc or other lesser known nutrients. So there may be trace things we are missing now that we haven't yet recognized.
    On the other hand, my RnY friends have suffered many complications and my sleeved sister is on her way to regaining it all...not to mention the problems I still have because of the band.

All bariatric surgeries are permanent in one way or another. Keep researching. Best of luck to you.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    Spiky Bugger

Spiky Bugger Well-Known Member

Once a year for lab work?

I'd be institutionalized with that plan...at least in assisted living.

Here's a reason: I moved and changed primary care providers. She was gobsmacked over my Vit D regime. She asked if
    I would consider taking Rx Vit D for three months. I said I'd take it for three WEEKS, if she'd give me tbe order for lab work right then. She did...I did...and 3 1/2 weeks later she called and said, "Thanks for humoring me. But go back to what you were doing. Right away."

If Vit D can tank fast enough to prompt that call in less than a month...waiting a year might cause a really big problem.

Now I'm going toPM you re loans!