Hello!

ace1987

Hello. I am a new memeber here. I am currently in the process of getting a revision; gastric band to DS. There is no DS surgeon where I live, which is arizona. The closest one is Dr. K in California but he is out of network for me. I heard that there are lawyers that can help me try and get that overturned but I am unsure where to start. I've been approved to have surgery in Texas with Dr. Ayoola but I have a huge fear of having a complication and being so far away from Dr. A. Both I have heard are outstanding and amazing surgeons. Does anyone have advice on where to start? I will be searching the previous threads as well. Look forward to getting to know people on here. :)

Welcome!
If Dr. Ayoola is in network and you've been approved, grab onto that approval with both hands and get your revision done. I understand about the distance, but your insurer is under no obligation to send you to an out of network surgeon if there is someone qualified in network, and he's very well qualified. Other people fight to have him for their surgeon. And lots of people travel that far, and further, for the DS.
Conquer your fears and go for it. You will be in good hands.

Listen to Larra.

I had "what if??" fears, too. But once I realized I could not get the DS locally (I was self pay), I got over it. If I had a complication (I did not), I knew that I could show up at the ER and not be turned away. They could have had a phone consult with the DS surgeon if necessary.

If you prefer Dr. K over Dr. Ayoola merely because he is closer, think of it this way: A hotel room is a hotel room. Does it really matter whether that hotel room is in CA or TX? And if you have a complication, CA is as out of state as TX so you would end up going to the local ER anyway.

(If your insurer has approved Ayoola they also should cover the transportation.)

Schedule with Ayoola and get on with your life!

Hi and welcome @ace1987 . DS was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Dr. Ayoola has an excellent reputation. You will be in good hands!

Latest posts

Back