Hello

FrenchRed

I'd like to introduce myself to the group here. I've been a long time reader of online forums related to weight loss surgeries, as in so long I'm embarassed to admit the number. Speaks to my ability to procrastinate and not decide to move forward with a surgical option. I turned 60 last November and decided it was now or never. I want to move into retirement healthier and able to enjoy that part of my life.

I am SMO - BMI of 56 at the moment. I also have my first appointment this week at the University of Minnesota Weight Loss and Surgery Center where the surgeons are Ikramuddin or Leslie. I am going there as these are surgeons in the area that will perform DS. I don't see either of these doctors on the vetted list, even though at least Ikramuddin was mentored by Buchwald who was on the list prior to retirement. Wish me luck as I start this process and make decisions on my path. I've already have learned so much from reading these forums and look forward to continue to do so.

Welcome! Good luck with your appointment! If you've been reading for a while, you know how some surgeons are performing an investigational surgery and calling it DS. You will find a great group here to guide you on the journey.

I'd like to introduce myself to the group here. I've been a long time reader of online forums related to weight loss surgeries, as in so long I'm embarassed to admit the number. Speaks to my ability to procrastinate and not decide to move forward with a surgical option. I turned 60 last November and decided it was now or never. I want to move into retirement healthier and able to enjoy that part of my life.

I am SMO - BMI of 56 at the moment. I also have my first appointment this week at the University of Minnesota Weight Loss and Surgery Center where the surgeons are Ikramuddin or Leslie. I am going there as these are surgeons in the area that will perform DS. I don't see either of these doctors on the vetted list, even though at least Ikramuddin was mentored by Buchwald who was on the list prior to retirement. Wish me luck as I start this process and make decisions on my path. I've already have learned so much from reading these forums and look forward to continue to do so.
Welcome @FrenchRed. Glad you are here! You'll find lots of quality information and genuine support in this group.
I had my DS in October 2015 at age 54 with a BMI of 55 so not far off from yours. I, too, researched and contemplated for nearly a decade. It's a bit scary and a big change but I can honestly say that its the best thing I've done for myself and my only regret is that I didn't do it much, much sooner.
Looking forward to following your journey!

Welcome! Both of the docs you mentioned are known to do the DS. Just make sure they are still doing the standard of care DS with 2 anastomoses and have not changed to the experimental SADI/aka SIPS/aka loop DS and you are all set.

Welcome! My DS was done in MN too. I met Dr. Ikramuddin several times. Best of luck and make sure you get a REAL DS!

Bonjour et bienvenue @FrenchRed! I'm a fellow procrastinator. I debated surgery for ages. Wishing you all the best as you move forward!

Latest posts

Back