Hello

Mermaid

Treading Water
I'm a hopefully future revision from a failed and removed lapband to the Duodenal Switch.

I'm happy to have found this forum!

Hello and welcome @Mermaid ! I'm so sorry the lapband failed you like so many others. Wishing you all the best for DS revision. Were I to need a revision, I'd head out for a consult to see Dr. Keshishian in California.

Thank you @hilary1617 If I were not located on the other coast he would have definitely been on my list. I am working with Dr.Smith in Orlando. My best effort at research places him solidly in the realm of top DS docs. And I liked him. (weird right?)

It's even more perfect because I have a place to stay post-op with family down there.

Hello @Mermaid ! I'm so happy to hear you have selected a vetted surgeon and that you like him. It's good to have a positive rapport. :) I'm jealous of your location. Perfect for a Mermaid I suppose, to be in Florida! Best wishes.

@hilary1617 Sadly I am not located in Florida. I WISH! I'm a freezing winter mermaid in the Greater Boston area. But I'll be REQUIRED to go to Florida every year for post-op check ups with Dr. Smith <evil grin>

And choosing a vetted surgeon was no accident. There are no DS surgeons within 200 miles of my location. Knowing I had to go out of area made me really look into who is available, where they practice, their professional experience, and reputation on forums like this and the ds facts website.

I narrowed it down to 3, and my local bariatric doctor (non-ds surgeon) had not heard of one of them and had nothing good to say about the other. Dr. Smith was the only one he would agree to refer me to.

I am excited to get moving on this, insurance is my last roadblock. I am quickly learning to hate insurance policy manuals.

@hilary1617 Sadly I am not located in Florida. I WISH! I'm a freezing winter mermaid in the Greater Boston area. But I'll be REQUIRED to go to Florida every year for post-op check ups with Dr. Smith <evil grin>

And choosing a vetted surgeon was no accident. There are no DS surgeons within 200 miles of my location. Knowing I had to go out of area made me really look into who is available, where they practice, their professional experience, and reputation on forums like this and the ds facts website.

I narrowed it down to 3, and my local bariatric doctor (non-ds surgeon) had not heard of one of them and had nothing good to say about the other. Dr. Smith was the only one he would agree to refer me to.

I am excited to get moving on this, insurance is my last roadblock. I am quickly learning to hate insurance policy manuals.
What about DS surgeons in NYC?

Who is left in NYC doing the DS??

Roslin? Pushing his SIPS/SADI experimental procedure.
Herron? Not doing the DS anymore.
Pomp? Inabnet? Haven't heard of them doing a DS in years.

Who is left in NYC doing the DS??

Roslin? Pushing his SIPS/SADI experimental procedure.
Herron? Not doing the DS anymore.
Pomp? Inabnet? Haven't heard of them doing a DS in years.
I haven't heard that Pomp or Inabnet aren't still doing the DS. I can't say for sure, but I'll ask Pomp when I see him or his staff. (Pomp's website does still list the DS, if that means anything).

Last edited:
Roslin was the one excluded by my Doctor, I was clear I wanted a full DS not the SIPS. Home doc was concerned about Roslins leaning to mostly SIPS at this time.

Plus, hotels in NYC vs Orlando...I could stay a month in Orlando for the cost of a week in Manhattan.

Roslin was the one excluded by my Doctor, I was clear I wanted a full DS not the SIPS. Home doc was concerned about Roslins leaning to mostly SIPS at this time.

Plus, hotels in NYC vs Orlando...I could stay a month in Orlando for the cost of a week in Manhattan.
I've been to support groups and it's true. Anyone I've met who has had surgery with Roslin (in the last few years) has had a SIPS.

You could call Pomp's office if you wanted to double-check. :) Oh, and I was in the hospital for 5 days (normal for the DS was 4, but I had a fever). I guess you could stay in a hotel before/after or most likely go right home. I'm certainly not trying to push you away from FL. Just thinking about somebody closer for future checkups , etc.

Latest posts

Back