Hello

Leslie3101

Hi. I am new to this site. My name is Leslie and I am from Raleigh, NC. I had RNY done in 2001 and only lost about 50 pounds. My BMI is 40. So, now after 15 years of trying every diet known to man, I am scheduled for a revision on 9/26/16 from RNY to biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch. I am very nervous about the surgery because this surgery is more complex. I would love to hear from anyone who has had this type of revisional surgery.

Hi Leslie! Glad you found your way here. Since you've already heard from me, I'll step aside and let others comment about their revisions and hopefully some feedback about your surgeon. I seem to recall hearing his name as someone doing the DS, though I don't know the extent of his experience, but I've not heard of him doing this type of very complex, challenging, and high risk revision.

Hi. I am new to this site. My name is Leslie and I am from Raleigh, NC. I had RNY done in 2001 and only lost about 50 pounds. My BMI is 40. So, now after 15 years of trying every diet known to man, I am scheduled for a revision on 9/26/16 from RNY to biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch. I am very nervous about the surgery because this surgery is more complex. I would love to hear from anyone who has had this type of revisional surgery.

WELCOME! Hi. Just make sure you a good doctor - people here can help vet the doc. Choose your doctor wisely.

I'm a week out of surgery and a virgin DS. And I was freaking out. As I was having my last supper @ the cheesecake factory with my best friend, I was saying how much I don't want to do this, but the diabetes gave me no choice.

BUT, then, the most amazing thing happened. I went to Mexico for the surgery. They bring in a few patients at a time. The other woman who was getting surgery was my food, diet, twin. She yoyoed like me her whole life, she described HS and college as remembering her diets and what size she was, etc And I was like OMG, really. Thats was my experience. She had the sleeve done about 4 years ago - and done poorly in TX), she said she worked hard to take the weight off, then, two years ago she has the DS. DS was so much easier she said. She was going back to get her sleeve fixed.

But, here is what amazed me. She was so, so happy and 125 pounds and felt like this huge monkey was off her back. The joy of having this weight loss battle done for her just created JOY that just flowed through her.

I thought if this surgery does 1/2 of that for me, I'm set.

Everyone here has been through this, and everyone here is thriving. Just make sure you Doctor is good. A good doctor can do a hard surgery. The DS is a hard surgery.

Last edited:
Hello @Leslie3101 -

I just had this surgery 3 weeks ago. I would be glad to help answer any questions. I did not have any complications, but I certainly did (and still do) feel like I was hit by a Mack truck. I falsely believed because the RNY recovery was easy that my recovery from the revision would be similar - nope, no way. The typical recovery takes 6-8 weeks.

Who is your surgeon? As others have noted there are some surgeons who are doing a SIPS or SADI and falsely presenting it as a DS to prospective patients. The RNY to DS conversion is a complicated surgery there are only a handful of surgeons in the country who have the training and experience to be on the vetted list. Check the vetted surgeon's list to see if your doc is there.

Thanks for the replies. My doctor is Dr Ng. He is a very good surgeon and does the regular DS, not Sips. I was leary to go this route because the DS is not reversable. do any of you have bad bowl issues after surgery?

Hello @Leslie3101 -

I just had this surgery 3 weeks ago. I would be glad to help answer any questions. I did not have any complications, but I certainly did (and still do) feel like I was hit by a Mack truck. I falsely believed because the RNY recovery was easy that my recovery from the revision would be similar - nope, no way. The typical recovery takes 6-8 weeks.

Who is your surgeon? As others have noted there are some surgeons who are doing a SIPS or SADI and falsely presenting it as a DS to prospective patients. The RNY to DS conversion is a complicated surgery there are only a handful of surgeons in the country who have the training and experience to be on the vetted list. Check the vetted surgeon's list to see if your doc is there.
Where is the vetted list at?

@Leslie3101 the sleeve of course is not reversible, but the "switch" part can be either reversed or adjusted. Both the common channel and/or the alimentary limb can be lengthened if needed, or the whole thing can be (mostly) reversed with the "kissing X" procedure. Of course it's all major surgery, but not nearly of the magnitude of revising gastric bypass to DS, or reversing gastric bypass, which is a big deal and rarely done.

Hi Leslie. The list is on the revisions board but here is a link

http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/current-list-of-known-rny-or-lapband-to-ds-surgeons.1403/

The RnY to DS is incredibly complex and there are only a handful who are qualified enough to do it. I am extremely biased in this regard, but Dr Ara Keshishian is the absolute best in the world at this and if I were going in for this procedure I would trust nobody but him to do it.

Disclosure: Dr K revised my DS to lengthen my alimentary limb because I had horrible malnutrition. He also did a surgery on my 22 year old son who had horrible gastroparesis that made him nauseous 24/7/365 for almost two years. Ara found and fixed Cameron about six months before I decided to go to Dr K for my revision. I also had a major ventral hernia repair with an 8 x 10 inch hunk of mesh inserted in May of this year from Dr K. I live in Central, IL an traveled to Glendale, CA 3 times for his services and I will do it again if any major gut surgery is required. His skills are second to none and he is the nicest, easiest Dr you wold ever talk to and his follow up is incredible (Responds to email directly and often within an hour depending on if he is in the OR).

Best wishes and please do very in depth research because you can't rush this and pick just any surgeon. It is complicated and you need the best if you want great results.

@Leslie3101 Well, from the outside, not knowing you or your story, you original plumbing did not let you maintain a healthy weight, the RNY did not either, the DS has the best stats by far. So, as Larra pointed out, part of it is reversible, and in general the plumbing work.

Good luck

Latest posts

Back