Hello

Debbie

I am trying to have surgery done by the end of the summer. My insurance does not cover surgery so I will have to selfpay. I have been researching for a couple of weeks different doctors sites etc. I believe the DS surgery is the right fit for me. Unfortunately I cannot get a loan to pay for the surgery and am hoping I can get this accomplished in the next few months. I am taking all of the opinions about my surgeon and have decided that I trust him, it is Dr. Jawad. I am wondering if he is now considered a vetted surgeon? He only does three WLS's the sleeve, Gastric & the DS. He has recommended the DS, however he said if I cant afford it to do the sleeve and then convert to DS later. I would rather wait and have one surgery than two! MY BMI is a 51 I am diabetic, have RA Fibro, PCOS & HS. He was a little concerned with medication absorption but we discussed switching to shots for my RA. I am praying can get this done by the end of the summer. I have learned so much and will continue to do so!

Debbie

Hi Debbie. Welcome to the board. I am a self pay also. My DS surgery w removal of my gallbladder and appendix and repair of a hiatal hernia is scheduled for Monday w Dr. Greenbaum. He does the DS in one stage. The cost will be less than $13k (absent complications of course). He's located in NJ. Just putting this info out there so you can compare self pay prices and maybe have another option if you need one.

Good luck!

Hi Debbie. Welcome to the board. I am a self pay also. My DS surgery w removal of my gallbladder and appendix and repair of a hiatal hernia is scheduled for Monday w Dr. Greenbaum. He does the DS in one stage. The cost will be less than $13k (absent complications of course). He's located in NJ. Just putting this info out there so you can compare self pay prices and maybe have another option if you need one.

Good luck!

OMG. That is awesome. I cant really travel too far due to work & kids but if there was one closer like Georgia or Tennessee with those prices and a good reputation that definitely would be an option. The hospital is very expensive here! I think the price is like 34,000.00!

Good luck to you too - Let me know how you are doing!!!!

You have to be out of work and away from home (in the hospital) no matter where you have the surgery, so I don't get why you can't travel?
I was self pay also and I went to Mexico for mine. Flew home on the 6th day.
Now had I had the surgery here at home I prob would have only stayed in the hospital 3 days...but 3 more days wasn't worth the MUCH higher cost of having the surgery locally.

Welcome @Debbie
Just do your research. I know the DS surgeon in GA (Dr. Smith) is not accepting new patients because he is moving soon to Celebration, FL but I HEARD it was to teach. As far as Tennessee, I know mine (Dr. Boyce) has a self pay price but it is fairly steep. I just looked at his page and his self pay is almost $26K. I don't know if Dr. Sudan has a self pay in Raleigh, NC. That moves up the East Coast and at that point, Dr. Greenbaum is very doable.

Hi Debbie & Welcome to the board. I hope you find what you need; many people end up traveling - I had my VSG done in Mexico.

:welcome1:

Jawad is not vetted and does not do the DS to the best of our information here. He does a SADI, which is a newer procedure that is NOT the same as a "traditional" DS. While it might prove to be an excellent procedure, it is so new that there is zero long term evidence about it.

As others have mentioned, you could travel to Mexico and see Dr. Ungson or to NJ for Dr. Greenbaum for well under $20,000 to have a true DS with a very experienced and well regarded surgeon.

You're going to be off work for surgery no matter where you go. Traveling just adds a couple days off at the outset, at most.

I bet the kids could be cared for in that few days' absence as well. Settling for what's local could cost you your life. We are so adamant about this issue because we've seen people suffer and die for their unwillingness to travel.

You have to be out of work and away from home (in the hospital) no matter where you have the surgery, so I don't get why you can't travel?
Now had I had the surgery here at home I prob would have only stayed in the hospital 3 days...but 3 more days wasn't worth the MUCH higher cost of having the surgery locally.
How much was it their? Everyday I am finding out new information, so it is a work in progress. I probably could do it during the summer would have to take the entire family but
it may be worth it!?

Dr. Jawad does not do the SADI he specifically does the DS, however he is very expensive. If its that less expensive I could take the family during the summer. I do not have family to take care of the kids here! I just called Dr. Greenbaum - they will call me back later today! I am learning so much daily I am glad for all of this information!

Dr. Jawad does not do the SADI he specifically does the DS, however he is very expensive. If its that less expensive I could take the family during the summer. I do not have family to take care of the kids here! I just called Dr. Greenbaum - they will call me back later today! I am learning so much daily I am glad for all of this information!

Well, then - someone is LYING to you. One of the DS surgeons forwarded a copy of a conversation on the American College of Surgeons website - on the topic of the SADI. Jawad posted this (on January 25, 2015) [typos are his, not mine]:

We have already performed SADI on more than 60 patients, laparoscopic and robotic, and as conversion procedure for failed R-Y GB ,although the weight loss
is significantly better than R-Y GB still nutritional difficency can be an issue,I have to convert one pt to RY GB because because of that, the procedure is simpler and
easy to perform specially robotic
Muhammad Abdul-Jawad MD FACS
Orlando FL

I just got a call back from Dr. Greenbaum!! Tooo excited for words!!! Aprox. $11,000 and Moorestown is 25 minutes from my brother in law so my husband is excited!!! The kids and him could have a vacation visit family & I will still save $20000.00!!!!! I will be calling them in April to start the process so I can have surgery by the end of June!!!! You guys rock!!!

Well, then - someone is LYING to you. One of the DS surgeons forwarded a copy of a conversation on the American College of Surgeons website - on the topic of the SADI. Jawad posted this (on January 25, 2015) [typos are his, not mine]:
Thank you for that info!

I have read a lot of your posts and have learned a lot from you. I also like your directness!! I am switching to Dr. Greenbaum because he is like 23,000 less than Jawad and he is more experienced!! How can that be,? that is such a difference?!!

Debbie hi and welcome!

I would have chimed in about Dr. Jawad and Dr. Greenbaum but others beat me to it. The DS community is still small enough that those of us who have been around awhile know the players. Dr. Jawad - SADI, and as far as I know SADI only. Dr. Greenbaum - experienced DS surgeon with excellent reputation. Travel - very doable, and it's not like you will be in the middle of nowhere. It's New Jersey - very civilized, or so I hear. If you could get to GA you could get to NJ.

I think given your bmi and esp your comorbidities the DS is definitely the way to go, and you won't find a better self-pay program anywhere in the USA. Let us know your progress as you move forward.

Oh, and the concept of "saving money" by just having the sleeve now - ridiculous! You would spend far more in the long run by first having an operation very unlikely to resolve your diabetes and THEN having to pay AGAIN for a second operation and a second hospital stay to get done what really needs to be done. The sleeve may be suitable for some people but usually does not not resolve type 2 diabetes. Weight loss is, on average, also less. Whoever suggested this plan did not have your best interests at heart.

One more question I have a friend who is very concerned that I would be doing an open surgery instead of it laparoscopically. What is the major difference and should that be a concern for problems after my initial follow up since he will be so far away?

Latest posts

Back