Hello

Razbry

Sticking to my New Year's Resolution to get involved with bariatric support groups. Almost 13 years out now from DS surgery. I want to help (if I'm able) and keep my own focus.

Wow, you all really know how to welcome a person. Nice gifs! I've had a pretty interesting post op experience. Ignorance reigned supreme. My surgeon retired, his vit. replacement regime became "extinct" (but I didn't know). There were no local support groups (I didn't think I needed them anyway). My local MD completely did not understand the mal-absorbsion issues of the surgery. The tragic part of my life happened. It all fell apart two years ago. I ended up demanding to be put in the hospital (five day stay)...I felt myself slipping. I had 4 MDs trying to figure out what was wrong with me. They wanted to ship me off to Mayo. I kept telling them it was a nutritional issue, but they would not believe me (I was right about 100lbs at the time). Finally, I insisted on TPN, which immediately helped. I was on that therapy for 30 days. As sick as I was, I had to come up to speed with the changes in vit. supplementation, educate my MD as best as I could (it's an ongoing process), and generally take charge of my own health. I was terrified. I II was a widow with a child...I needed to live. This is about the shortest version of my story that I can tell. The point is, if I can help anyone avoid my situation, then that is what I want to do. I am astonished (looking at posts in other sites) of the ignorance that abounds about the nutritional needs of the post op DS surgery. Although I shouldn't be surprised, because I was once one of them. You have my highest praise for this forum. It seems to be very active and supportive. I'll be around. :)

Then I am REALLY glad you found us...stick around, we are here to help as best we can. PCP's willing to learn about us are priceless so if you have one, fantastic!

And while none of us have all the answers, the collective knowledge is astonishing. And your long version needs to be told so others can learn.

Latest posts

Back