Hello..

Jo Anna

I am about to take a journey down the Duodenal Switch road and I am scared. I wanted to go with a sleeve, however the Surgeon believes I will benefit more from the DS.

I just wanted to say Hello to everyone.

Have a great day !

Hi and welcome!

I haven't heard of your surgeon either, but he apparently works with Dr. Yuracin (sorry about spelling) who I have heard of as doing the DS. Still, it would be wise to ask how many he's done before. Whatever the answer, it's up to you to decide whether that number is satisfactory to you or not.

I think you're very fortunate that you found a surgeon who recommended the DS to you. What happens to many people who would benefit greatly from the DS (and who are most likely to either fail or not have their comorbidities resolved with other operations) is that the surgeon they see doesn't do the DS and either doesn't mention it, doesn't recommend it, or disparages it, because if the patient decides the DS sounds better and goes elsewhere they lose a paying customer. So you lucked out, even if it doesn't seem like it right now.
All this stuff is scary. It's normal to be scared. You probably had to work up your courage just to consider bariatric surgery at all, and then the surgeon throws a curve at you. Give yourself some time to research the DS, see how happy and successful people are with it, and get used to the idea. If, in the end, you just don't want the DS, you can always insist on the VSG. No one is going to do a DS on you without your consent. But I think once you know more about it you'll feel differently. For the record I had the DS nearly 9 years ago, and I have absolutely no regrets. Best decision ever.

Hey @Jo Anna ! I used Garden State Bariatrics! Dr. Yurcisin was my surgeon and Dr. Bilof was assisting in the OR. He performed my sister's VSG a month later. I had a great experience with the entire practice. I'm definitely curious to see how many he's performed since! Which hospital will you use?

Howdy and welcome :). Dr. Bilof is, according to the bariatric program director at Deborah Heart and Lung Center, performing the DS there, at minimum. I don't know of any information about what he's doing elsewhere.

Latest posts

Back