Hello!

Thanks Munchkin! Hey Jill. :) Your surgery with Prof. Nottle wasn't long at all after I drove down from Sydney to meet with him for the first time. What was your experience with him? And can I ask what your BMI was? He's chosen to do mine in two parts (VSG first, DS a couple of years down the road) due to my very high BMI.

Thanks Munchkin! Hey Jill. :) Your surgery with Prof. Nottle wasn't long at all after I drove down from Sydney to meet with him for the first time. What was your experience with him? And can I ask what your BMI was? He's chosen to do mine in two parts (VSG first, DS a couple of years down the road) due to my very high BMI.
Hi more2adore! Prof Nottle is a consummate professional. On opening me up, he found a malrotated bowel, and 2 loops of small intestine up inside my stomach cavity! I was in surgery for 'many hours'
is all they would say. Ironically, had I not had this surgery, I may have eventually ended up with a fully twisted bowel, a life-threatening emergency...
He can be trusted! :) Altho just smile sweetly regarding nutritional advice and get all that advice on here from the vets.
My bmi was at the lower end. In fact I only just qualified @ bmi 40 (but rising almost daily!). I had had 2 failed lapbands and this was my only logical next step.

Hi and welcome! I'm glad Australia has a DS resource and hope more people there will learn about the DS and flock to Dr. Nottle.

Thanks Munchkin! Hey Jill.is Yis a goour surgery with Prof. Nottle wasn't long at all after I drove down from Sydney to meet with him for the first time. What was your experience with him? And can I ask what your BMI was? He's chosen to do mine in two parts (VSG first, DS a couple of years down the road) due to my very high BMI.
Also...re: VSG first, then ds component 24 months later. I think that this is a good idea for several reasons:
1: less sudden 'shock' to your digestive system. The combined vsg/ds is a lot for your body to adjust to at once.
With your additional excess weight, a 'gentler' approach, whilst frustrating I know, will be good over the term.
2. You will lose quite a bit of excess weight over the first 24 months. Removing the majority of yr stomach means getting rid of the majority of yr grehlin-producing factory (google grehlin and leptin hormones).This alone will alter yr metabolism and help u manage yr weight downwards.
3. Then, @ 24 months out, u will get yr second wind! Woohoo! Take 'that', excess fat!
4. The gentler approach means u are less likely to suffer loose skin issues...esp if u can start to do gentle exercises and maintain all that muscle mass that is currently hidden under the excess fat load - keep protein/hydration up and increase 'reps'or duration rather than increasing load (ie walk further, cycle longer, stretch more.)
5. Dealing with malabsorption issues (ie vitamin/mineral) which require a great deal of focus, can also come later. It is my understanding that these work very individually, and your body will thank you for not asking it to make so many adjustments @ once.

I would NOT want to wait 24 months - I would want the second part ASAP. The sleeve and switch work together synergistically, and the further apart, the less benefit of that synergy you get.

I would NOT want to wait 24 months - I would want the second part ASAP. The sleeve and switch work together synergistically, and the further apart, the less benefit of that synergy you get.

I agree! I would get the second part as soon as he was willing to do the op. You need as much bang from this DS as possible. And the synergy thing is true. I have seen 2 parters get to goal but they usually have to really work at it!

Hi more2adore! Prof Nottle is a consummate professional. On opening me up, he found a malrotated bowel, and 2 loops of small intestine up inside my stomach cavity! I was in surgery for 'many hours'
is all they would say. Ironically, had I not had this surgery, I may have eventually ended up with a fully twisted bowel, a life-threatening emergency...
He can be trusted! :) Altho just smile sweetly regarding nutritional advice and get all that advice on here from the vets.
My bmi was at the lower end. In fact I only just qualified @ bmi 40 (but rising almost daily!). I had had 2 failed lapbands and this was my only logical next step.

Thanks a ton for responding, Jill! So glad to talk to someone else who's had a good experience with him. :) I'll probably be back down to Melbourne in November to see the head of Intensive Care at the hospital where the surgery will be, and meet with the NUT - if you're interested in meeting up, I'd love to pick your brain over coffee or something. :)

Also...re: VSG first, then ds component 24 months later. I think that this is a good idea for several reasons:
1: less sudden 'shock' to your digestive system. The combined vsg/ds is a lot for your body to adjust to at once.
With your additional excess weight, a 'gentler' approach, whilst frustrating I know, will be good over the term.
2. You will lose quite a bit of excess weight over the first 24 months. Removing the majority of yr stomach means getting rid of the majority of yr grehlin-producing factory (google grehlin and leptin hormones).This alone will alter yr metabolism and help u manage yr weight downwards.
3. Then, @ 24 months out, u will get yr second wind! Woohoo! Take 'that', excess fat!
4. The gentler approach means u are less likely to suffer loose skin issues...esp if u can start to do gentle exercises and maintain all that muscle mass that is currently hidden under the excess fat load - keep protein/hydration up and increase 'reps'or duration rather than increasing load (ie walk further, cycle longer, stretch more.)
5. Dealing with malabsorption issues (ie vitamin/mineral) which require a great deal of focus, can also come later. It is my understanding that these work very individually, and your body will thank you for not asking it to make so many adjustments @ once.

Yeah, like the two folks above me have said - there does seem to be a serious benefit from doing it all at once. But obviously better to do it in two parts than not at all. I appreciate that he's trying to keep me safe - I just have to remind myself of that whenever I get depressed that I am going to have to deal with a less-than-optimal procedure for a while. It'd be awesome if I had fewer loose skin problems. Thanks for your input! :)

Just stopping by to say hello @Jill Kennedy
Welcome to the forum. There's tons of support here. So welcome and enjoy!

J.

purplesparklevs9.gif

Latest posts

Back