Hello! Somehow I found 45 pounds after losing 220...

Vanessahand

Hello everyone!
My name is Vanessa, in eastern Wisconsin. I'm an artist of all types, love anything funny, and proud mom/grandma.

So, yea, I was up in the middle of the night recently and tripped over some lost weight, found 45 pounds, lol!
It creeps up doesn't it?
Lots of time of my feet, eating crap in small amounts... But I have no idea where it came from, right?
Now it's panic time for some reason, as if I didn't see it coming.

Has anyone done the pouch reset diet?

As a RNYer, your best option is just to cut carbs. You don't need to reset your pouch. Just back to protein first, avoid processed foods, and drink water.

And Welcome!

Welcome!
I have never understood the concept of the pouch reset thing. Of course I have DS and not gastric bypass, so I could be missing something here, but it seems to me to be an idea patients came up with that got enough publicity to catch on, rather than an evidence based approach.
I think @southernlady is right. Back to basics, cut the carbs, cut the snacks, and see what happens. And of course emphasize protein and stay well hydrated, especially in the hot summer months.

Thanks so much! It seems counter productive to everything's learned in the beginning, so I was skeptical about the reset, but also in a moment of weakness got a bottle of apple cider vinegar (that went bad, really bad).
My father always trusted the Atkins thing of low carbs, he's a master of it.
All my understanding of insulin resistance and how carbs work lately can be undermined by crackers.
Also time to examine why it's suddenly so hard after all the work we go through to get as far as we did.
I gave up caffeine, soda, sugar in November and thought I'd see a change. Nothing. I think I replaced it with fruit (duh, never thought about the carb factor until recently).

I gave up caffeine, soda, sugar in November and thought I'd see a change. Nothing. I think I replaced it with fruit (duh, never thought about the carb factor until recently).
See, that's the hard part. We've been taught fruit is healthy all our lives but it is a carb just as sure as bread, pasta, etc. Then the dietitians/medical confuse us by dividing it into simple versus complex carbs. Once in your body, it's still a carb. It affects your body the same way. Although complex carbs take longer, it still works the same way. Honestly for most of us, esp if we are/were diabetic, complex carbs are just as bad for our body.

If it isn't protein, think three to ten times before ingesting it. You can come off carbs, it's just hard. If you need carbs, make them green leafy kind.

Learn what carbs are high glycemic and do your best to avoid them.

While I don't advocate Atkins (cause of the net carb voodoo), I do advocate Dr. Bernstein (a type 1 diabetic endocrinologist who has lived with normal A1C for decades due to hyper vigilance). http://www.diabetes-book.com/ He has a few chapters you can read online. Also you can read about him here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_K._Bernstein

I was never able to go as low as he advocated but I did go very low for me.

Last edited:
And part of why it's so hard for RNYers is based on anatomy. When they rerouted your guts, they left plenty in play. Your body overcomes the malabsorption of FOOD but not the malabsorption of vitamins. I'm not a scientist but that's how it was explained to me.

Also, the anatomy of the pouch itself can be an issue. Many RNYers discover the stoma (man made) is stretched so food essentially falls straight into the intestine never giving the body a chance to feel full.

Read everything you can here, esp any post that is pinned to the top of any board.

Unfortunately, sugar is sugar. Makes no difference if it comes from the sugar bowl or in a different package. Welcome!

Latest posts

Back