Hello - RNY or SIPS? That is the question of the week...

Stefanie S.

Hi! Had my final surgeon appointment last week and I thought we were all on board for RNY, but instead she really tried to convince me that SIPS would be more appropriate. I will be a revision from the sleeve. Someone kindly referred me to this site for the most knowledgeable, caring, and sharing folks. I'm excited to get to know you. For now... I'm off to research as I'm supposed to provide my answer on Tuesday.

You're half way to the BEST weight loss surgery -- the duodenal switch (DS). We're talking about the REAL DS with two anastomoses NOT the experimental SIPS which many insurance companies don;t cover.

And friends never let friends get the butchery that is the RNY.

The long term success data shows the DS is the only surgery that will keep the weight off.

Read more here.

The butchery that is RNY! ;) I've read similar comments all morning. It is sad how much that surgery is pushed, when the success rate isn't that great :( But, for my job, I have to attend a lot of meetings, many that it would be unacceptable to get up and step out for a bathroom run. I also teach a day-long class once a month. For those reasons, I immediately ruled out the DS because I won't have a BM at work as it is! And I certainly don't want to have several. And then I've heard stories about the smells. I would be traumatized! LOL ........ I just keep reading to see how real this worry is? This worry is also why my surgeon is pushing SIPS on me instead of a full DS. But then I read that many here don't feel that SIPS is the way to go either. Overwhelmed, but still researching....

Well hi there! So glad you found your way here. It's both the weekend and a couple holidays so I don't know if people are around, but they will be back at some point, and in the meantime you can use the search function to find prior extensive (and at times heated) discussions about SIPS (aka SADI aka loop DS) vs the real accept no substitutes DS.
And gastric bypass - keep in mind that in the wonderful world of bariatric surgery, "success" is defined as losing 50% of your excess weight. Just 50%! Well, that's certainly better than non-surgical diet and exercise (less than 5% success rate) but still, the bar has been set low. There are a lot of people out there with gastric bypass who only lose 50-60% of their excess weight and struggle even to sustain that level, and they are counted as successes, and even then, there is a 30% failure rate. Imagine what the failure rate would be if we defined success as losing 60% of your excess weight instead of 50%. For me, this was just not acceptable. Add to that the inability to take NSAIDs ever again (even if you don't need them now you may at some future date), the possible dumping, the permanent low calorie, low fat, low carb diet....NO.

Keep reading and researching. If your surgeon can do SIPS she can do a DS. The second anastomosis is the easiest part of the whole operation and any surgeon trained in general surgery knows how to do it, let alone a bariatric surgeon.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

The butchery that is RNY! ;) I've read similar comments all morning. It is sad how much that surgery is pushed, when the success rate isn't that great :( But, for my job, I have to attend a lot of meetings, many that it would be unacceptable to get up and step out for a bathroom run. I also teach a day-long class once a month. For those reasons, I immediately ruled out the DS because I won't have a BM at work as it is! And I certainly don't want to have several. And then I've heard stories about the smells. I would be traumatized! LOL ........ I just keep reading to see how real this worry is? This worry is also why my surgeon is pushing SIPS on me instead of a full DS. But then I read that many here don't feel that SIPS is the way to go either. Overwhelmed, but still researching....
Bathroom habits are iffy for the first month or so WHILE healing. But after healed are pretty controlled by diet.

And you can't tell me normies don't have to poop at odd times too!

Welcome, @Stefanie S.!

I'm a consultant who lives in the world of back to back meetings, and I'm a trainer as well who does lots of whole-day classes. I have not found the DS to be nearly as bad as some present it with bathroom issues. As @southernlady said, it does take a few weeks to settle, but eating right and supplementing right takes care of that. I, and from what I've read a lot of others, have one BM a day first thing in the morning. And that's it. I've also lost 100lbs since February as a band revision.

Thank you Larra! It sounds like you are not a SIPS fan... I hadn't considered a full DS until I really started researching the past couple of days.

I have no bathroom issues. One poop in the morning -- although I am on the toilet for 10 minutes vs 2 min pre DS and the poop is a little greasy from fat malabsorption. I do have a little more gas when I eat carbs.

Welcome, @Stefanie S.!

I'm a consultant who lives in the world of back to back meetings, and I'm a trainer as well who does lots of whole-day classes. I have not found the DS to be nearly as bad as some present it with bathroom issues. As @southernlady said, it does take a few weeks to settle, but eating right and supplementing right takes care of that. I, and from what I've read a lot of others, have one BM a day first thing in the morning. And that's it. I've also lost 100lbs since February as a band revision.
Congrats on your weight loss!! Really? One BM first thing in the morning? That's me now.... if I could maintain that, I would be a happy girl!!! Music to my ears. I'm feeling hopeful. Can you tell me... when you have to go, how urgent is it? One month out? Further out? If my next break was 30 minutes away, could I wait? And of course don't feel obligated to ask this, but the smells... is it is as horrible as some say?

Hello,

I'm a full DSer who does go more than once a day. Generally 4-5. It's been that way since the beginning, pretty much. That's just me. I have spray that I use in the bathroom and it's not a problem. I was worried, too, about the smells. That worry faded as time went on.

I have no bathroom issues. One poop in the morning -- although I am on the toilet for 10 minutes vs 2 min pre DS and the poop is a little greasy from fat malabsorption. I do have a little more gas when I eat carbs.
May I get personal? Is it 10 minutes because of constipation? Diarrhea? Carbs... one more caveat for me... I'm vegan... which inherently means more carbs, though I'm working on this. Meaning, lots of research and I've got that carb number down pretty well, with the protein level up! With RNY, they told me to include LOTS of fiber. Is that true with DS? I'm almost guessing not?

Hello,

I'm a full DSer who does go more than once a day. Generally 4-5. It's been that way since the beginning, pretty much. That's just me. I have spray that I use in the bathroom and it's not a problem. I was worried, too, about the smells. That worry faded as time went on.
Hi! Have you every had any regrets? Do you think it's 4-5 times due to diet... or that it's just that way for you and nothing would change it?

Congrats on your weight loss!! Really? One BM first thing in the morning? That's me now.... if I could maintain that, I would be a happy girl!!! Music to my ears. I'm feeling hopeful. Can you tell me... when you have to go, how urgent is it? One month out? Further out? If my next break was 30 minutes away, could I wait? And of course don't feel obligated to ask this, but the smells... is it is as horrible as some say?

The first month sucks. Try to do as little as possible workwise. You'll be exhausted, and still figuring out your new insides. That goes for all of the surgeries. By month 3 I was feeling like a normal human again, and with a lot more energy than I had pre surgery given the weight and comorbidities I'd lost.

I go to the bathroom pretty much the minute my feet hit the floor in the morning, and it is about a 10-15 minute visit. It is pretty thorough. The smell isn't amazing (it's poo) but it's not the worst thing I've ever smelt either.

I can't recall being in a situation where I couldn't wait for an opportune time to use the bathroom, but like I said I generally take care of that for the day first thing in the morning.

Latest posts

Back