Hello! New to group and looking for advice for revision to DS

castonesgirl1

Had VSG June if 2015 through Kaiser. I had lost approximately 60 pounds after the surgery. But the weight is creeping back up. I have gained 30 back. I am going to my PCP for a referral back to Bariatric so I can ask for a revision to DS. I am looking for some information and advice for what I may be facing and challenges, etc... How can I get this approved. Any help would be greatly appreciated. FYI...BMI is currently 40.25. High Blood Pressure and High Cholesterol. Have been hospitalized for Pancreatitis. Also have Fibromyalgia.

Welcome!

Oh girl, you are in for a fight. Trying to get a DS with Kaiser is a fight even as a primary operation, more so for a revision. You are taking the right first step by getting the referral back to bariatrics, but once there, you will be blamed for your failure to lose weight, blamed for your regain, and given the same dietary advice you got the first time around. I don't know where they will start you, with a dietician or doc or what, but the bottom line is that you need to get to a surgeon and get an official denial so you can start the appeals process. The best advice I can offer at this point is to be polite but persistent as you work your way through the system and don't say things that can be put into your chart and held against you down the line.

Also, read the threads by Diana S. and michelle vasey for a ton more info.

Thank you Larra. My PCP appointment is Monday. I plan on asking for a referral to bariatric- that is the sole purpose for my visit. I will keep posting on here and of course may need more advice as I start down this path...

Welcome!

Oh girl, you are in for a fight. Trying to get a DS with Kaiser is a fight even as a primary operation, more so for a revision. You are taking the right first step by getting the referral back to bariatrics, but once there, you will be blamed for your failure to lose weight, blamed for your regain, and given the same dietary advice you got the first time around. I don't know where they will start you, with a dietician or doc or what, but the bottom line is that you need to get to a surgeon and get an official denial so you can start the appeals process. The best advice I can offer at this point is to be polite but persistent as you work your way through the system and don't say things that can be put into your chart and held against you down the line.

Also, read the threads by Diana S. and michelle vasey for a ton more info.
Larra , just out of my own curiosity, what are things one in her position could say that would be put in file to use against them? I have an idea or two but wonder if I’m even close. It might also help her to know more specifically what you mean.

Anything self-blaming, but I would rather save specifics for private communications with her.

Hi and welcome castonesgirl1 ! It may be a long road, but will be well worth it in the end. Another alternative which you might want to concurrently explore is the potential to self-pay, which might involve travel for a reasonable price, high quality vetted surgeon. All the best!

Hi~ Have you considered Mexico? Some of the facebook group members used Mexico for their DS And were very satisfied. Surprisingly very nice facilities and experienced surgeons. About 5k.

Hi~ Have you considered Mexico? Some of the facebook group members used Mexico for their DS And were very satisfied. Surprisingly very nice facilities and experienced surgeons. About 5k.

I’ve not heard of a reputable Mexican surgeon doing a standard of care DS for only $5K, let alone a revision to DS.

Instead, the most highly regarded MX bariatric surgeon is Dr. Esquerra at http://www.mexicalibariatric.com/

Last edited:
I'm a Dr. Esquerra patient. It was a great experince. I think he does a VSG to DS for 8K. To be honest. I would not go anywhere else in MX because he is proven. I get anxious about anyone else to be honest. There are other good Drs in MX for sure, but I don't know them, and people are happy with Dr. Esquerra.

Latest posts

Back