Hello, I'm new, having some DS issues and I'm scared :(

Thanks everyone, I'm very happy and grateful to have found Dr. K thanks to the help of this board.

Please bear with me about discussing my surgery. I'm "explanation" challenged. Lol.

The revision that was done in 2002 was by Dr. Anthone. The way it was explained to me, the two intestines are basically "spliced together" at a higher level in the digestive tract where the food and digestive juices can mix and begin to digest. Then, it travels down separately again until it gets to the common channel. So, I was wrong in stating he "lengthened my common channel". In my case, my "splice together" was done incorrectly. The two intestines should be connected in the same direction. Mine were not. Think of it as a two lane highway, traffic was going one direction on one side and another direction on the other. Whereas, they should've been traveling the same direction.

He was literally shocked I hadn't had issues sooner. I'm just grateful that all is well now. I have my appetite back and my bowel movements are back to normal. I need to gain about 10-15lbs.

I also stopped drinking all soda so that may not help with weight gain but I'm just eating frequently, drinking fruit juice and water. If need be, I'll add some additional carbs.

Dr. K seems to think I only need 1500mgs of calcium a day and a multi vitamin and isn't overly concerned about my urine oxalate. But, I want to stay on top of my health, so I have an appointment with my endocrinologist in a couple of weeks and I'll be asking him about drawing the additional labs I need and seeing if I need any adjustments or supplementation. Then, after that, I plan on seeing a nephrologist to make sure I stay on top of my oxalate crystal issue and keep my kidneys healthy.

Last edited:
"In my case, my "splice together" was done incorrectly. The two intestines should be connected in the same direction. Mine were not."

I am trying to envision this, and cannot. It sounds like what you got (or was supposed to get) is a "Kissing X" revision - a simple way to get more absorption without taking down and redoing the intestinal configuration by creating a second anastomosis up higher in the alimentary tract:

image9.jpeg

I am at a loss to understand how that could be done in such a way that they are going in "different directions" - I hope Dr.K will explain this in detail on his blog.

He actually showed me a visual using my IV tubing in the hospital. LOL!
I wish I could draw something to show you what I mean. As that pic shows, the 2 limbs are traveling parallel and connected at the kissing X. Which is how it should be and mine is now. Before, one of them (I think the bilio limb) was looped back upward and reconnected. So, instead of the contents traveling parallel, they were going different directions.

If I can, I will draw something later and try to show a visual of what I mean. I threw away the pictures of my insides, it made me sick to see it. But hopefully he'll put it on his blog soon.

OK, I get that - what makes me wonder what it means is that INSIDE the intestine, there is peristaltic action that is unidirectional - even if (with reference to gravity) a loop is anastomosed with a downward flow part attached to an upward flow part, once the stuff inside crossed the connection, it is going to be propelled in the proper direction.

BUT - if what you mean is that instead of the alimentary limb being anastomosed to the biliopancreatic limb at a second spot, more proximal to the stomach, the surgeon accidentally anastomosed a loop of BP limb back onto itself, well yes, I could see that wouldn't have fixed anything, because the food still wouldn't have been getting more time in contact with bile/enzymes. But I don't see that there is anything "backwards" about the flow. It just would have been a pointless surgery, creating more potential for stasis in the BP limb and bacterial overgrowth.

It was the first one. :) The BP limb was not anastomosed back on to itself. I'm sorry that I'm not as well versed in understanding everything as I could be. But, he said that was what more than likely caused an overpopulation of bad bacteria and the root of my, as he called it "transient bowel obstruction". All I know is, I'm feeling better and eating well now thankfully (yay!).

I also have to ask him about the original intussuseption when I go back on the 14th for my follow up. Wondering if that's what he meant by "transient bowel obstruction".

So, this "kissing x" revision does allow me to absorb more nutrients, correct? When Dr. Anthone did it 13 years ago, I did start gaining weight slowly. And hopefully I will do the same again.

Yes, you should have been absorbing more after a Kissing X revision - but if the site of the anastomosis was somehow intussusepting (or whatever the word is), things may not have been flowing properly in either direction, and causing stasis => bacterial overgrowth.

Perfect. That sounds about right. I will confirm everything when I see him in a couple weeks now that I'm getting back to my right mind and feeling better.

Now, I'm on the hunt to figure out which multi vitamin to take. I've only got the one from bariatric advantage and from what I'm seeing, I need a different kind of vitamin A and magnesium citrate instead. I'm not sure if I should piece everything together or if there is one out there with the types we need?

And when I see my endo I'll have him run the more in depth lab list you sent me. I appreciate all of your help so much!!

Perfect. That sounds about right. I will confirm everything when I see him in a couple weeks now that I'm getting back to my right mind and feeling better.

Now, I'm on the hunt to figure out which multi vitamin to take. I've only got the one from bariatric advantage and from what I'm seeing, I need a different kind of vitamin A and magnesium citrate instead. I'm not sure if I should piece everything together or if there is one out there with the types we need?

And when I see my endo I'll have him run the more in depth lab list you sent me. I appreciate all of your help so much!!
A good Centrum equivalent multi with the other vitamins. I use the Kirkland Daily Multi, 3 a day (it is what Vitalady send out when people order a multi from her). The A has to be DRY and the two are the Tender A (Vitalady) or the BioTech A. Both the Tender and the BioTech are MADE by BioTech.

Best list to start and then base it on your own labs is here: http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/vitalady-links.11/

Latest posts

Back