Hello....I'm a newbie here

QBB

I'm QBB and I will be doing a revision from a RNY BYPASS to the DS in April 2016.

Dr. Fullum's team in DC. He did my bypass in 2003. I gained a good part of the weight back. Now Will be getting a revision to the DS.

Dr. Fullum's team in DC. He did my bypass in 2003. I gained a good part of the weight back. Now Will be getting a revision to the DS.
Didn't know we had a Revision surgeon in DC...

Can you ask him (or his staff) these questions:
1) About how many DS surgeries has he done (not the practice but him)

2) Complication rate?

3) Where did he learn the skill to do a DS? Who was his mentor?
Has he done revisions (lap band to DS or RNY to DS.)

4) About how many revisions to a DS has he done.

5) Where did he learn to do that revision?

We would love to add surgeons to our DS list and esp our revision surgeon list. Our current list is here: http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/current-list-of-known-rny-or-lapband-to-ds-surgeons.1403/ And those are the questions I asked my surgeon before he was included on the revision surgeon list.

Hi and welcome! You have come to the right place for info and support.

I have never heard of a Dr. Fullum, or any other surgeon in DC, doing a DS, let alone a revision of RNY to DS. RNY to DS is a complex and high risk operation that involves a complete undoing of your old RNY, restoring all the original anatomy (meaning sewing the pouch and blind stomach back together and sewing the divided small intestine back together) and THEN doing the sleeve gastrectomy and bowel rearrangement of the DS. There are only a handful of very experienced DS surgeons who are willing to take on this operation. The risks are real and recovery sometimes takes months, even in the best of hands. Dr. Fullum may be a fine RNY surgeon, but the DS is a very different operation, and then the added difficulty of RNY to DS revision puts this on an entirely different level. Even if he has decided to add the DS to his practice - which would be great as we always welcome new DS surgeons - you are not the right patient for him to begin with.
I am not saying all this to talk you out of revision, but rather to explain that having this done by someone who doesn't do the DS and revisions of other operations to the DS on a regular basis would be a big mistake. You need to get yourself to one of the experienced DS revision surgeons. any travel or other inconvenience involved is well worth the effort. Given your location, the closest I know of is Dr. Greenbaum in NJ, who does these revisions on a selective basis, depending on how the original RNY was done. He has an excellent reputation and is accustomed to working with patients from out of town.

You are hereby warned - your surgeon is going to attempt to do the hardest bariatric revision there is, one which I would not recommend be done by any but a VERY small handful of surgeons - and we (I've been around since 2002, and many people here for over 10 years) HAVE NEVER HEARD OF HIM as even a VIRGIN DS surgeon. I cannot possibly overemphasize that we recommend you look for a different surgeon, preferably on the west coast (Rabkin in SF or Keshishian in LA). MAYBE Greenburg in NJ, but he won't do them on certain people. There simply very few surgeons skilled and experienced enough to do this procedure. I would NOT be someone's guinea pig, nor even their 20th surgery.

@DianaCox it's Dr. Greenbaum, not Greenburg. We are probably overwhelming this poor newbie as it is, let's not add to the confusion. And yes, I know you know his name, just a little brain fart. We is all getting older.

@QBB, whether or not Dr. Greenbaum would do a revision to DS for you depends on how your RNY was done. He would review your operative report and determine whether or not the pouch was separated from the blind stomach. You could always phone his office after the holiday and request to consult with him by phone. He's a good guy and will help you if he can.

Latest posts

Back