Hello from Texas seeking info on Dr. Ayoola

CoolGalBlue

Hello everyone,

I am wondering if anyone has did self-pay with Dr. Ayoola and how much did they end up paying out of pocket for the sleeve total??

I am trying so hard to get over the extremely rude person (rudeguyT) who handles the insurance. It takes alot to get me upset but the guy in the office is very condescending and I just rather do self pay and not speak with him. Did anyone else deal with him?

I don't have the info you want, but would recommend talking with the office manager and letting him/her know that you were treated rudely. This is the kind of issue that causes potential patients to go elsewhere, which is damaging to both the reputation and financial bottom line of a surgeon's practice, which is a business that will fail without enough patients. I understand you are upset, and you should NEVER have been treated rudely, but your silence is not helpful to you or to anyone else. If I were the surgeon or the office manager, I would want to know what potential patients are experiencing.

I don't know your personal circumstances but with the very high rate of people for whom the VSG has to be later converted to a DS because it simply doesn't work for many long term, I would never self pay for a sleeve. That is for a few reasons but it will end up costing you more for two surgeries rather than one if it doesn't work, not to mention the time and pain/recover for two surgeries.

I am a huge Dr K advocate but I know his self pay DS is in the $25k range, (hospital is the biggest chunk) so if you have to self pay I think Esqerra in Mexicali with whom a lot of people here had their DS and had great results and experience, is roughly $13,000. Ayoola has a pretty good reputation but I would be surprised if he isn't $20-$29k range for DS as well.

BTW Dr K makes VSG patients whom he can't convince to do DS up front, sign a waiver saying basically, "I was told the VSG has a high failure rate and that I would be back in two years but I choose to have the VSG anyway".

If you have metabolic syndrome the DS is the only Bariatric procedure that will work because your metabolism is broken and the DS resolves Diabetes, hypertension and high cholesterol in about 99% of cases. The DS was the only surgery I even considered because I knew the malabsorption was needed because there was no way I could diet for the rest of my life. With the VSG or RnY you do have to diet forever. With the DS there is no such need in fact you have to eat a lot to get your nutritio. I eat on the average of about 4,000 calories a day and a couple hundred grams of protein.

Best wishes to you on your pursuit.

DSRIGGS- thank you so much. I never even considered DS but now that you have mentioned have started researching because I do have a metabolic syndrome and some extreme hormonal issues. I am going to go research and see if there is any possible way Medicare may pay for it or even a portion of DS.

@CoolGalBlue Medicare does cover the DS, which is a standard of care bariatric surgery for anyone who qualifies medically for bariatric surgery. Check your policy and you may have co-pays or whatever, but hopefully you have at least some coverage. And Dr. Ayoola is a well regarded DS surgeon, so you already have a good resource for your surgery.

DSRIGGS- thank you so much. I never even considered DS but now that you have mentioned have started researching because I do have a metabolic syndrome and some extreme hormonal issues. I am going to go research and see if there is any possible way Medicare may pay for it or even a portion of DS.
Medicare or Medicare Advantage or Medicare Supplement?

And is Medicaid mixed in there anywhere?

Thank y'all. I really appreciate it. I have regular medicare. I didn't understand Medicare Advantage plans even after the reps tried to explain it to me twice :( I am so glad that it is covered by Medicare and I'm hoping to have the surgery next year. I am going to have a friend of mine call in and talk to the rude guy instead of me having to.

Thank y'all. I really appreciate it. I have regular medicare. I didn't understand Medicare Advantage plans even after the reps tried to explain it to me twice :( I am so glad that it is covered by Medicare and I'm hoping to have the surgery next year. I am going to have a friend of mine call in and talk to the rude guy instead of me having to.
Regular Medicare only pays 80%.

Medicare Advantage plans typically cover most, if not all, of the remaining 20%.

Unfortunately Medicare enrollment just ended earlier this month so changing is only possible if there is a major change in zip code/county.

That is unless you are over 65 when you got on Medicare and have an enrollment date in July. (May be June but since I have an enrollment date in the fall, I don't typically pay attention).

Latest posts

Back