Hello from NB Canada

RiverbankPrincess

Hello from NB Canada, are there any other New Brunswickers on here??
I am in the investigation process of surgery.
Currently looking a getting sleeved at Mexico Bariatric by Dr Valenzuela. Has anyone else here used this facility and surgeon?
Any and or all comments would be greatly welcomed!!
Thanks
Riverbank Princess

Howdy and welcome! I have not seen her name, but then again, I don't frequent Mexico WLS-specific boards. A quick Google search only turned up medical tourism site hits, and personally, I have problems with that. I expect to be able to contact a surgeon directly.

...Not to mention that said sites imply that DS is widely done among "their" surgeons, which is not the case. But that doesn't pertain to you, as the VSG is performed by more surgeons all the time.

Welcome @RiverbankPrincess - I'm from the other end of the country in AB. I haven't heard of your surgeon, but I'm getting a revision surgery to a DS, so the only Mexican surgeon that I know of with a great reputation is Ungson.
@Dawn is also a Canuck, she had a revision surgery in ON, but has had some complications and finally seems to be turning a corner. There must be a few more of us, but she is the only one that immediately comes to mind.
Btw, I'm nosy. How did you decide on the sleeve and on Dr Valenzuela?

Hello from NB Canada, are there any other New Brunswickers on here??
I am in the investigation process of surgery.
Currently looking a getting sleeved at Mexico Bariatric by Dr Valenzuela. Has anyone else here used this facility and surgeon?
Any and or all comments would be greatly welcomed!!
Thanks
Riverbank Princess

I'm a member of a group on Facebook called "VSG support group." There are a couple of people on there who are from Canada and are going to Mexico for sleeve surgery. One guy from Louisiana told another member that he, "...went with mrs. Cindy rios [a coordinator] and dr. Valenzuela you will love them. They're wonderful and beautiful sweet people."

Hello! Not familiar with your choice- but I was a self-pay with the late Dr. Aceves. Glad you found us!

Oh wow, that name rings a bell now. When I was investigating my surgery, I ended up blocking her phone number (Cindy Rios'). I also marked her email as spam -I had filled out an online medical form, and I was super-quickly approved, and then she aggressively pursued me for follow up. That doesn't mean that the surgeon isn't good or the support isn't. I just felt that I was being actively pursued by a sales person. Which really, really turned me off.
To be equally fair, I had realized by this time that I needed a really skilled surgeon and near that time, or soon after Ungson offered me the RNY but would not attempt the DS on me.

Welcome!
No need to go through any medical tourism company for surgery in Mexico or other countries. It will just cost you more and limit your choice of surgeons, as they will only refer you to the surgeon or group they do business with. Remember, it's a business, and their primary concern is not you, it's making money.
You can easily contact surgeons in Mexico directly. Their staff works with people from the USA and Canada all the time and will be able to tell you everything you need to know.

And frankly, the only surgeon in Mexico who actually does the DS all the time is Dr. Ungson. I have been on this website since its inception, and on others for about 9 years, and have never heard of this doctor as a DS surgeon. However, they are lots of surgeons doing the sleeve, so perhaps he or she has experience with this. but you need to check the surgeon out yourself, not take the word of some company that wants your business.

Oh wow, that name rings a bell now. When I was investigating my surgery, I ended up blocking her phone number (Cindy Rios'). I also marked her email as spam -I had filled out an online medical form, and I was super-quickly approved, and then she aggressively pursued me for follow up. That doesn't mean that the surgeon isn't good or the support isn't. I just felt that I was being actively pursued by a sales person. Which really, really turned me off.
To be equally fair, I had realized by this time that I needed a really skilled surgeon and near that time, or soon after Ungson offered me the RNY but would not attempt the DS on me.
You *were* being aggressively pursued by a salesperson. This is a well known tactic. I hesitate to believe that the person mentioned on FB is a real patient.

Latest posts

Back