Hello Everyone

YW_

This is my first time posting since joining in July. Just wanted to say hello to everyone. I had the open RNY gastric bypass in 2003, and over the years I slowly regained most of the 80lbs back. I have been approved to have a revision to DS, and my surgery date is set for Dec. 15th. I am excited for this journey, but also at the same time I am somewhat afraid. It's really hard to discuss these feelings with people who have never had bariatric surgery and have no idea of what I'm even talking about. So...here I am. I am looking forward to learning as much as I can, and I'm very glad to be here!
Thanks,
YW

Welcome! Glad you're posting now. You're right, people who have not struggled with being MO and having bariatric surgery have no idea what it's like and why we put ourselves through this surgery. But here you will find people who understand and provide support.

I take it that Dr. Ayoola is doing RNY to DS revisions now?? If so, this is great news. There aren't very many surgeons doing this type of revision so we need all the resources we can get for people needing revisions.

Hi! I am fairly new to this site. Also pre -operative. Meet with the surgeon on 11/14/14. Also seeking r n y ( also 2003) to DS. I will follow your progress. I am envious that you are scheduled for December! Will insurance pay for the revision? Look forward to "talking" with you.

Welcome YW
I have found that a revision is a whole other ball game and it really helps talking to other people that has done it.

Make sure you are very VERY specific - write it in on your consent form - that you want a proper DS, and not a surprise ERNY or any other surgery.

Hello again,

Thank you all for welcoming me to the group. I do have a few questions.. what is a ERNY and what is a proper DS? I feel somewhat stupid for having to ask all of this because I feel that I should know, but I'm confused. My doctor also mentioned that he reconnects the pouch to the stomach and then performs the sleeve. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Not sure how to feel about all of this now...

If he's putting the stomach back together and doing a sleeve, that's a DS.

With ERNY, nothing is done to the pouch, the small intestine is just revised such that more of it is bypassed. Most of us consider this to be nowhere as good an operation as a real DS because it creates a situation where you have all the disadvantages of the RNY (pouch, dumping, can't take NSAIDs, no regulation of stomach emptying) combined with the malabsorption of fat soluble and other vitamins of the DS. It requires a lot of vigilance to live with it successfully.

Revising to a real DS has more surgical risk. It's a big and complex operation. ERNY has lower surgical risk, though it's still major surgery, but more risk of nutritional problems longterm.

Latest posts

Back