Hello all! New, with questions! :-)

A Dixon

Hi all!

I am in a considering phase. I have been thinking about surgery for probably 5 years. Since January, I have become very focused on moving forward. I have done a great deal of research, including to talking with other WLS patients, and I plan on having a DS in May. I believe that the DS gives me the best chance at long term success.

I will be a cash pay, and DS surgeries where I live in Virginia are $22,000--$30,000. One of the people I have been talking with (I don't know why this is suddenly in italics!) went to Mexico for her surgery. Again, I have been doing a lot of research, and I am thinking about going to Mexicali Bariatric Center. I can have the surgery done there for $10,000 (plus air fare). I have confirmed that this would be a true DS (2 anastomosis), and NOT a Sadi-S. The surgeon would be Dr Antonio Esquerra, who trained for 4 years under Dr. Gilberto Ungson (who has retired from performing surgeries).

I have several questions...

1. Do any of you have experience in having surgery in Mexico? Anyone have it done at Mexicali Bariatric Center in specific?

2. Has anyone had Dr Esquerra as their surgeon? Know anything about his reputation?

3. I have been told to get a local MD to follow me post op. What is the best way to do that? Do I need a WLS surgeon, or would my GP be OK?

4. Is there anyone on the Forum who regrets their DS? Why?

Thank you so much! I look forward to getting to know you! (Oh, and if anyone knows how to get the Italics off, I would appreciate it if you'd let me know!)

There are others who can better answer your questions about Mexico and Dr Esquerra, but I can answer about regrets for myself. I am 12+ years out from surgery, and no longer have diabetes, hypertension, unrelenting hunger, joint pain, and other consequences of morbid obesity. I regret the last 10 years before surgery when I gained to the highest levels, but there are no regrets for the dozen years after surgery. The best part after this surgery is that there is little regain, unlike the people I know who had RNY or the sleeve. This is the rest of your life and you don't want to go through surgery and end up obese in a few years. Things you should know: 1. Losing this much weight (145 lbs) leaves a lot of loose skin and deflated boobs and you may want to think about plastic surgery if you want a perfect body. 2. The surgery will make you want to eat right through DS "discipline" in causing diarrhea and gas if you don't eat right. But I can eat whenever I am hungry, pretty much what I want to eat. The quantities are small but I never feel deprived. 3. You must learn a lot about nutrition and vitamins and commit to daily vitamin pills and annual extensive blood tests. You will be responsible for making up the nutrients lost by the malabsorption of surgery. 4. You will spend a lot of money on new clothes in the rapid weight loss phase, so don't invest large sums until you find out where you land. After considering the options preop, I tried to imagine what day to day life would be like after the surgery and the only acceptable quality of life for me was after DS. Good luck going through this process! It's quite a ride.

Lots of us have been to the Mexicali Bariatric Center and had Dr. Esquerra. I had my surgery with him last Aug. It was a great experience for what it was. And people are very happy with it. I would not go anywhere else in Mexico. And everyone thought I was crazy for going to Mexico, but now they don't Here is a link to a thread on MBC. Read from the top down. I think it starts on the third post down

bariatricfacts.org/threads/march-2017-target-date.4858/page-3

So happy I got the DS and happy I went to Mexicali. I did not need to deal with insurance and the care was extraordinary. I got more attention than I would get in a stateside hospital for sure. Labor is less expensive, and that helps you get more attention. My bestie came with me and she said she thought the hospital was just as nice as any small town hospital she has been to in the US.

As far as the doctor for the follow up, you can work with a PCP who knows about the DS - I don't know a WLS surgeon will want to help you because they will be caring for you after someone else did the surgery. I found it a little hard to find a Dr. I posted on all the DS forums and groups looking for one in the Bay Area. I finally found someone by going to a DS group and asked a couple people who they used. And I found a PCP who had the surgery, so it worked out. It just took a little work.

I'm happy to answer any questions, chat on the phone, etc.

There are others who can better answer your questions about Mexico and Dr Esquerra, but I can answer about regrets for myself. I am 12+ years out from surgery, and no longer have diabetes, hypertension, unrelenting hunger, joint pain, and other consequences of morbid obesity. I regret the last 10 years before surgery when I gained to the highest levels, but there are no regrets for the dozen years after surgery. The best part after this surgery is that there is little regain, unlike the people I know who had RNY or the sleeve. This is the rest of your life and you don't want to go through surgery and end up obese in a few years. Things you should know: 1. Losing this much weight (145 lbs) leaves a lot of loose skin and deflated boobs and you may want to think about plastic surgery if you want a perfect body. 2. The surgery will make you want to eat right through DS "discipline" in causing diarrhea and gas if you don't eat right. But I can eat whenever I am hungry, pretty much what I want to eat. The quantities are small but I never feel deprived. 3. You must learn a lot about nutrition and vitamins and commit to daily vitamin pills and annual extensive blood tests. You will be responsible for making up the nutrients lost by the malabsorption of surgery. 4. You will spend a lot of money on new clothes in the rapid weight loss phase, so don't invest large sums until you find out where you land. After considering the options preop, I tried to imagine what day to day life would be like after the surgery and the only acceptable quality of life for me was after DS. Good luck going through this process! It's quite a ride.
Great information! Thank you!! May I ask a personal question? Did you have plastic surgery? I am 5'6" and 296. I can't imagine not having excess skin. While I would never have a perfect body, I would like to get rid of excess skin, and the pounds that that skin would weight. Do you have any insights about costs for the plastic surgery...I know that I am looking waaayy ahead of my self, but I want to know what might be down the road...Thanks again!

Last edited:
Lots of us have been to the Mexicali Bariatric Center and had Dr. Esquerra. I had my surgery with him last Aug. It was a great experience for what it was. And people are very happy with it. I would not go anywhere else in Mexico. And everyone thought I was crazy for going to Mexico, but now they don't Here is a link to a thread on MBC. Read from the top down. I think it starts on the third post down

bariatricfacts.org/threads/march-2017-target-date.4858/page-3

So happy I got the DS and happy I went to Mexicali. I did not need to deal with insurance and the care was extraordinary. I got more attention than I would get in a stateside hospital for sure. Labor is less expensive, and that helps you get more attention. My bestie came with me and she said she thought the hospital was just as nice as any small town hospital she has been to in the US.

As far as the doctor for the follow up, you can work with a PCP who knows about the DS - I don't know a WLS surgeon will want to help you because they will be caring for you after someone else did the surgery. I found it a little hard to find a Dr. I posted on all the DS forums and groups looking for one in the Bay Area. I finally found someone by going to a DS group and asked a couple people who they used. And I found a PCP who had the surgery, so it worked out. It just took a little work.

I'm happy to answer any questions, chat on the phone, etc.

Thanks so much! I understand how a WLS surgeon here might not want to follow me. I had wondered about just a general surgeon though.... I just don't think my PCP knows anything about that procedure. (I'm sure he has many patients who have gone through it). Now that I read your comment about labor costs, it makes me wonder...do you tip people over there? Nurses, aides, that sort? I certainly wouldn't tip at a hospital here in the states, but what is the custom in Mexico for this type of thing? Thanks so much!!

May I ask a personal question? Did you have plastic surgery? I am 5'6" and 296. I can't imagine not having excess skin. While I would never have a perfect body, I would like to get rid of excess skin, and the pounds that that skin would weight. Do you have any insights about costs for the plastic surgery...I know that I am looking waaayy ahead of my self, but I want to know what might be down the road...Thanks again!

I did not tip. I had to change PCP's and that was fine. If you really like your PCP, I would talk to your PCP about this and see how they reaction. They mght be OK taking care of you. It's just blood work that needs to be done.

I will get plastics when the time comes.

I did not tip. I had to change PCP's and that was fine. If you really like your PCP, I would talk to your PCP about this and see how they reaction. They mght be OK taking care of you. It's just blood work that needs to be done.

I will get plastics when the time comes.
Thanks so much for the information!!!

Hi all!

I am in a considering phase. I have been thinking about surgery for probably 5 years. Since January, I have become very focused on moving forward. I have done a great deal of research, including to talking with other WLS patients, and I plan on having a DS in May. I believe that the DS gives me the best chance at long term success.

I will be a cash pay, and DS surgeries where I live in Virginia are $22,000--$30,000. One of the people I have been talking with (I don't know why this is suddenly in italics!) went to Mexico for her surgery. Again, I have been doing a lot of research, and I am thinking about going to Mexicali Bariatric Center. I can have the surgery done there for $10,000 (plus air fare). I have confirmed that this would be a true DS (2 anastomosis), and NOT a Sadi-S. The surgeon would be Dr Antonio Esquerra, who trained for 4 years under Dr. Gilberto Ungson (who has retired from performing surgeries).

I have several questions...

1. Do any of you have experience in having surgery in Mexico? Anyone have it done at Mexicali Bariatric Center in specific?

2. Has anyone had Dr Esquerra as their surgeon? Know anything about his reputation?

3. I have been told to get a local MD to follow me post op. What is the best way to do that? Do I need a WLS surgeon, or would my GP be OK?

4. Is there anyone on the Forum who regrets their DS? Why?

Thank you so much! I look forward to getting to know you! (Oh, and if anyone knows how to get the Italics off, I would appreciate it if you'd let me know!)
Welcome @A Dixon! You'll find a wealth of quality information and genuine support here. Looking forward to following your journey.

Hi and welcome @A Dixon !

I had my DS in Chicago, but have been on weight loss surgery boards for years and Dr Esquerra has an excellent reputation.

My only regret is not having had DS sooner. All the best!

Great information! Thank you!! May I ask a personal question? Did you have plastic surgery? I am 5'6" and 296. I can't imagine not having excess skin. While I would never have a perfect body, I would like to get rid of excess skin, and the pounds that that skin would weight. Do you have any insights about costs for the plastic surgery...I know that I am looking waaayy ahead of my self, but I want to know what might be down the road...Thanks again!
Haven't had plastic surgery. Went to a surgeon about a face lift when the skin on my face drifted downward, but he quoted more than $15k for him and the operating room, just for the face. That's NYC, so it would be cheaper elsewhere. Most 66 year old women don't want to look in the mirror naked. In clothes, it's fine, but I wish I had money to do boobs and upper arms. I am 5'3" and had a similar starting weight, so you weigh less per inch of height, and you may turn out better, especially if you are younger. As for a PCP, you should search here for Diana Cox's letter to a PCP about DS. The surgery for me was life changing and life extending, and none of the aftereffects would have changed my mind about it.

Hi and welcome! I am a Dr. Esquerra graduate, receiving my DS degree June 10, 2016! I can say it was the best thing I've ever done and could kick myself for not doing it sooner.

Dr. Esquerra is very kind and caring and apparently very good at his job as I haven't heard of complaints from anyone. Dr. Campos who also saw me and did leak test and removed my drain is great also. Yolanda and Carla and Nina are all terrific to work with.

I personally had a very easy time of it as far as pain/discomfort upon waking from surgery and was up very soon. I did have some pain but nothing like I had imagined! My sister, who lives in northern CA met me in San Diego and accompanied me. I COULD have done it alone but glad she was with me. I did my flying alone though, Southwest Airlines from Nashville to San Diego nonstop.

Oh, and I'm older than you, was 58 at time of my surgery. I'm short, 5'1" and was at 238 when started pre-op required eating plan, 229 day of flight. I've lost 85 so far and loving life. Loose skin is not pretty but it's better than the way I was before!

Ask anything you want.

Latest posts

Back