Hello & 1st Week Post Op

I have NEVER pooped my pants!! I pooped once in the morning before AND after DS. Granted, in the first 3 months I was waking up at 5am to poop but that went away. Are you someone who poops 3x a day now? It's likely that you'll do that afterwards, too.

Everyone is different, however, either due to a slightly different surgery, what they're eating (probably the most important factor), or their individual metabolism.

Please keep in mind that often people come on these sites because they are having problems and want answers. People without problems may not seek out an online forum. Therefore it may SEEM like *many* are having problems when in fact that's not the case.

My only concern is that during every meeting I am told that the loose stools can be a real issue. How bad is this issue? Will I be able to workout, run, play golf, lift weights without pooping my pants?
The first month while your system is relearning, all bets are off. But once on solid food and taking all your vitamins (using the Vitalady list cause I know Dr. Smith's list isn't enough, I am very good friends with one of his patients), then you are more likely to be constipated. That's where fat comes into play: http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/fats-are-not-the-enemy.3185/

I was stopped up before and stopped up now, even trying to get in fats. I go about every 3 days. I am hoping once I am farther out and able to eat more I'll get in enough fat to be more regular.

I was stopped up before and stopped up now, even trying to get in fats. I go about every 3 days. I am hoping once I am farther out and able to eat more I'll get in enough fat to be more regular.
Are you also taking a stool softener?
My hubby has to have Miralax every morning to go. I solve the problem with butter coffee.

Are you also taking a stool softener?
My hubby has to have Miralax every morning to go. I solve the problem with butter coffee.

Not currently, but I probably should. My surgeon's office prescribed some but it was a powder and too gross to drink. I was trying to go the high fat route but eating cheese or full fat yogurt hasn't helped, maybe just not in large enough quantities. I guess I'll add a stool softener pill or milk of magnesia.

Not currently, but I probably should. My surgeon's office prescribed some but it was a powder and too gross to drink. I was trying to go the high fat route but eating cheese or full fat yogurt hasn't helped, maybe just not in large enough quantities. I guess I'll add a stool softener pill or milk of magnesia.
His is a powder he puts in his coffee. It’s the Costco equivalent of Miralax.

Hi and welcome Kyle! My recommendation is to set up your home in advance to be extra comfy and have necessities easily reachable while recovering. DS is one of the best decisions I ever made. Best wishes on your journey!

I am officially a DS patient now! Had my surgery on 11/2/17 w Dr Smith. Surgery lasted approx 4 hours. Evidently I had some existing scarring around my duodenam that had to dealt with prior to the rest of my DS procedure.

I was able to start taking small sips of water and chew ice chips approximately 3-4 hours after surgery. Those sips were definitely small because of the pressure I felt in my stomach after each one. I was also able to get up and walk the hospital floor 4 hours after surgery (I think the diluaid drip helped me a lot in getting out of bed). Before I left the hospital I had completed 19 laps around our little wing of the hospital.

I was released the next day, A little later than I thought I was going to be released because I felt a pain in the back of my left calf and we had to make sure it was not a blood clot. Had an echocardiogram done on the calf and everything was negative.

The first couple of nights at home sleeping were tough… As someone who never slept on their back, it was really tough to pull off especially with the tenderness of my stomach.

Day 3 - I was able to get in 80oz of liquid and 75 grams of protein (Isopure powder mixed with water). I tried the Isopure with milk and let’s just say, that DID NOT go well. Going to try lactose free milk tomorrow :).

Day 4 - Today is much better, liquids, protein and lactose free milk (FairLife) are going down really easy. By the end of today I will be at 100oz of liquid and 100g of protein.

Looking forward to tomorrow and day 5 of my new life!!

Kick ass! Sounds like you're doing great!
Thank you! So far so good.

I was taking some medicine before bed tonight and kind of choked on it. I coughed hard for the first time. WOW! The pain inside the lower right portion of my stomach was rough, but went away after a few minutes.

How long does the pain inside of the stomach, where the new connections are made, last?

Latest posts

Back