Hair loss and vitamins

GirlFriday

Enjoying the journey
Does anyone take a supplement for their hair? I am just starting to shed and have seen several of the "hair" vitamins out there. Does anyone take them? If so, what kind? Do they work?

Are you losing alot? I have really short hair and suspected mine has been getting thin but I can never see it.

Last week, I lost about a hand full in the shower. I got my hair cut on Saturday and my stylist has ALWAYS had to thin out my hair, and this time she didn't. This morning, between the shower and the styling, I lost about two good hand fulls. I can tell it is getting thinner. I ran over to Mom's this morning, and she says she can't tell, of course, I barged in to her home/bedroom at 5:45 and woke her up to tell me if my hair was thin so I am not taking her word for it.

I was doing some research and I the advice that I read was to consume more protein, even though I am already doing 100 grams per day, and these specialized vitamins. I was just wondering if anyone else had taken them and what their experience was.

I lost tons and tons of hair after my surgery, it is very common. I started taking the recommended vitamin combination (Vitalady) of biotin, zinc and selenium before my surgery. Actually, I still take them all. It made no difference in my hair loss. I was losing hair due to undiagnosed hypothyroid pre-DS and then lost a bunch post DS. It has come back. I wish there was some big miracle I could tell you about keeping all your hair but, nope. Some of us lose it, some don't. Almost all have it grow back.

I'm praying that mine stops falling out soon!! My hair was thin to start with, now at 7 months out it's really looking sparse. I have not been taking any specialized vitamins as I really haven't heard from many people that they have helped. In some cases, people have mentioned that they caused them to grow hair in places they don't want it (ie. facial hair).

Oh, I'm sorry to say, but I don't think they really work. I was pretty traumatized by the hair loss, I used to have INCREDIBLY thick hair and I got to a point where I was crying after every shower because it was giant handfuls that I had to pull out of the brush, several times, after each washing. It stopped eventually but not before I had some almost bald spots. Supposedly no one else noticed, but it made me feel terrible. What helped was a short, sassy cut, which made it look much fuller, and since the weight loss has stopped, it's filled back in a good bit. I will say, for all that it did feel very traumatic at the time, in hindsight, for what I've gained, the trade-off was worth it.

I have always embraced the pixie cut. I am a short hair girl, mostly because I have poodle hair and my hair doesn't really get long as much as it gets "big".
And @southernlady I searched for a thread about hair loss yesterday and couldn't find one, so thank you so for posting that for me. I will read through it.

I have always embraced the pixie cut. I am a short hair girl, mostly because I have poodle hair and my hair doesn't really get long as much as it gets "big".
And @southernlady I searched for a thread about hair loss yesterday and couldn't find one, so thank you so for posting that for me. I will read through it.
You're welcome. I had it pinned on the Main board. And since I am always quoting it over on Faceyspace, easy enough to find for me.

I LOVED the pixie cut but until I lost weight, I would look like a bowling ball with one. So I kept my hair longer...long enough to always be able to put it in a ponytail. It was the ONLY way I could survive summer. MY pixie cut is a bit of a hassle...takes some effort to make it behave as my hair went from wavy to CURLY after the DS.

Actually, there can be some other nutrient deficits that contribute to hair loss besides the obvious ones. Copper, Zinc, and Iron deficiencies for the minerals, and Biotin, vitamin D, B12 (all B complex vitamins really). Here's a quick read that lists some. http://progressivehealth.hubpages.com/hub/16-Vitamin-Deficiencies-that-Lead-to-Hair-Loss Remember too that your body often responds to shock by shunting necessary nutrients where it feels they're needed most. Hair growth isn't critical to your survival, so it's VERY common after serious surgeries. It'll come back...I promise my friend! If it gets real bad just buy a cheap wig for a few months....become that movie star you always wanted to be!!

:thhippy:

Actually, there can be some other nutrient deficits that contribute to hair loss besides the obvious ones. Copper, Zinc, and Iron deficiencies for the minerals, and Biotin, vitamin D, B12 (all B complex vitamins really). Here's a quick read that lists some. http://progressivehealth.hubpages.com/hub/16-Vitamin-Deficiencies-that-Lead-to-Hair-Loss Remember too that your body often responds to shock by shunting necessary nutrients where it feels they're needed most. Hair growth isn't critical to your survival, so it's VERY common after serious surgeries. It'll come back...I promise my friend! If it gets real bad just buy a cheap wig for a few months....become that movie star you always wanted to be!!

:thhippy:
For women, and especially so soon after surgery, it is often related to the hormones stored in fat cells being released into the body, similar to what women go through after giving birth. Plus it doesn't always come back. Mine has gotten better, but isnt even close to what it was before.

My hair didn't fall out but it definitely thinned a bit and it just isn't as "supple" as it used to be. My hair was always very full and smooth. Now it's is more brittle and I guess split ends is what I get?

Oh well, not a big deal for me because I csn Just get the clippers out go really short, but I feel for you ladies who have a tougher time.

Girl Friday, I am in no way demeaning your experience and fear of loosing your hair - you can give it back to me in just a few months, but I gotta tell you I laughed out loud at you running into your Mom's bedroom at 5:45 am to get her to look at your head. Probably scared her silly. :)

Latest posts

Back