Had an interesting email from Dr. Esquerra's assistant, Nina

CC + AL (both absorbing limbs) = BPL (non absorbing limb) Add them ALL up and it should be the total bowel length (if I've got this wrong Scott is going to rap my knuckles with a rolled up magazine) but I'm holding my breath because I seem to not be able to retain anything I am taught these days!
I think I should have said Short bowel length SBL rather than total bowel length. :D:(

CC + AL (both absorbing limbs) = BPL (non absorbing limb) Add them ALL up and it should be the total bowel length (if I've got this wrong Scott is going to rap my knuckles with a rolled up magazine) but I'm holding my breath because I seem to not be able to retain anything I am taught these days!

When does the BPL get measured???

I think I should have said Short bowel length SBL rather than total bowel length. :D:(

No, I mistyped and should have said 'SBL' not Total BL....

www.dshess.com

Parame1.gif

The process is that the first thing done after they sleeve you is they measure the total small bowel length and then make sure the BPL is 50% and the CC and AL are made to the roughly 10/40% marks, but they vary it based on patient factors. I understand the trepidation but I think Anthone makes a lot of sense and as MM said in your thread, personally I would rather risk a few extra pounds than malnourishment. Obviously I am biased from my experience but I understand your concern as well as Clematis'.

Carbjunkie, above is a cut ad paste of Scott's explanation to me from yesterday in the other thread. It outlines how it's done and in what order.

The process is that the first thing done after they sleeve you is they measure the total small bowel length and then make sure the BPL is 50% and the CC and AL are made to the roughly 10/40% marks, but they vary it based on patient factors. I understand the trepidation but I think Anthone makes a lot of sense and as MM said in your thread, personally I would rather risk a few extra pounds than malnourishment. Obviously I am biased from my experience but I understand your concern as well as Clematis'.

Carbjunkie, above is a cut ad paste of Scott's explanation to me from yesterday in the other thread. It outlines how it's done and in what order.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3

@Munchkin I remember when I made my very first introduction post here several months ago, you welcomed me and pointed out that I was "quite short" and that short women often had trouble reaching normal BMIs. At that time I was still deciding on type of surgery and your remarks really registered with me and my past struggles and I've always remembered it.
And that's still true!

no, equal to BPL, right Scott?
Right Susan. The idea behind the Hess DS is that cc + AL = BPL ......that is just a way of saying the absorbing tract length should be roughly the same length as the non absorbing tract. And the 10% cc and 40% al are rough targets. Guys a heck of a lot smarter than me came up with this idea but it makes sense to me, the whole balance thing and I just know that Dr k did a study of over 300 of his patients and using the Hess method none of them required revision due to malnutrition. Now I don't know what % EWL was achieved but they weren't malnourished

@Susan in Tennessee
@Clematis

Annnnnnnd, (drumroll please!) here's the response I received from their office this morning....

"In the many years of experience, Dr Ungson concluded that patients with the cc shorter than 100 cm CC were the ones having problems. He started doing the cc as short as 50, 75 etc but the mal nutrition rate for this patients was high, quality of life was not good and these were the patients having the reversals done, which is high risk.

Dr Aceves nor Dr Ungson never went lower than the 100 cm either. We do not consider this a disservice, on the contrary , documented or not this is what the experience taught them and this is the same protocol Dr Esquerra follows. It is not as easy as just taking more vitamins as you may already know.

The Dr may be willing to go a bit shorter like 90 cm which he has done in the past but I am sure he will not go shorter than that. Do not think that because you are not tall that your intestines will automatically be shorter too, you will be surprised at what we find inside. If the sleeve was not enough as a weight loss tool most likely you have longer intestines and this is why you need the DS portion. We can also compensate with a smaller sleeve if needed , sometimes patients with a larger sleeve and a lot of malabsorption have a lot of problems because they can eat too much and live with extreme cases of diarrhea for example. The drs need to balance the weight loss and patient's well being.

We are in an event out of town and Dr Esquerra is not here with us. I will see that you speak with him before you need to fly out here to see if you"

It is, what it is.... I will request the 50/50 split (BPL = AL+CC) and see what he says... Never hurts to ask, right?

Last edited:
@Susan in Tennessee
@Clematis

Annnnnnnd, (drumroll please!) here's the response I received from their office this morning....

"In the many years of experience, Dr Ungson concluded that patients with the cc shorter than 100 cm CC were the ones having problems. He started doing the cc as short as 50, 75 etc but the mal nutrition rate for this patients was high, quality of life was not good and these were the patients having the reversals done, which is high risk.

Dr Aceves nor Dr Ungson never went lower than the 100 cm either. We do not consider this a disservice, on the contrary , documented or not this is what the experience taught them and this is the same protocol Dr Esquerra follows. It is not as easy as just taking more vitamins as you may already know.

The Dr may be willing to go a bit shorter like 90 cm which he has done in the past but I am sure he will not go shorter than that. Do not think that because you are not tall that your intestines will automatically be shorter too, you will be surprised at what we find inside. If the sleeve was not enough as a weight loss tool most likely you have longer intestines and this is why you need the DS portion. We can also compensate with a smaller sleeve if needed , sometimes patients with a larger sleeve and a lot of malabsorption have a lot of problems because they can eat too much and live with extreme cases of diarrhea for example. The drs need to balance the weight loss and patient's well being.

We are in an event out of town and Dr Esquerra is not here with us. I will see that you speak with him before you need to fly out here to see if you"

It is, what it is.... I will request the 50/50 split (BPL = AL+CC) and see what he says... Never hurts to ask, right?
Very interesting, I'm processing this, not sure how I feel yet.

Thanks for keeping us updated @CarbJunkie73

I would not ask for a smaller sleeve than the standard 3/4c or 5oz he does routinely. The only part of my DS that gives me trouble is the sleeve.

They'll reshape mine once we see what it looks like. I've never had great restriction and I think that's due to how soon I had the sleeve done after I had that dreaded band removed. I did question Nina on getting a refund if they find my sleeve is shaped ok.

as well you should have high expectations.

That being said, please don't get too hung up on the CC length. It is only part of the equation and the most important thing is that Hess is followed. BTW, rarely is the CC 10% of SBL. I am not sure why that number hasn't been revised to what it actually seems to be, more like 15% or more. I know I am beating a dead horse, but the Hess is about the balance of the absorbing and non absorbing intestinal tract NOT THE INDIVIDUAL component length.

Finally, remember that they can't tell you what your CC & AL are going to be until they get inside you and measure your small bowel.

@DSRIGGS you just stated the best effect is using the Hess method? Well if her Small bowel is a certain length that would require a 50cc or 75CC and no matter what she is only going to get 100 cc that is not true Hess then how can that not make a difference. If you stand on your statement of as long as Hess is done it will be fine, but should it not be fine if we believe it's the Hess method that makes the difference?

I read through all of this and I have to say while my CC is 100 with a total length of 540, I'm doing just fine in the weight loss department with nearly 70% EWL at 7 months... and I eat probably more carbs than I should, don't particularly exercise (although I'm doing a LOT of walking lately and way more active), and generally go about my business and enjoy life :) So.... I think 100cm for me was a wise choice. It's working for me. I'd rather be a few pounds over than malnourished for sure. So as always, YMMV but... I still have confidence in Esquerra.

So you are loosing about 10 pounds a month. My measurements are 50/250. I'm 4'11.5. I lost at
A rate of 10 lbs per month same rate as you. Also Dr. K did tell me that at my height I would loose slower. But my average is about the same as yours even though you have a longer CC.

@Munchkin I remember when I made my very first introduction post here several months ago, you welcomed me and pointed out that I was "quite short" and that short women often had trouble reaching normal BMIs. At that time I was still deciding on type of surgery and your remarks really registered with me and my past struggles and I've always remembered it.

@Susan in Tennessee Dr. K told me the same thing. I think I would have made it to normal bmi if I hadn't been so sick. October will make 3 years Since surgery. I have gotten to 131 twice but had to go on TPN Twice. My max normal Bmi weight is 128. I still may be able to make it once I get well enough to exercise and get skin removed. Dr. K thinks I have at least 10 to 15 lbs of skin

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back