Getting to know you guys

Och! Clotted cream....oat cakes...curries...beef pasties. Sigh. Going back across the pond is one of my major goals after this surgery.
There's a cream theme going on here! Has everyone noticed the cream/cheese/and dairy in general is better over there? And OMG the butter! I really never cared for butter till my first trip across the pond back in the 60's. And ever since if I have bit of extra money, I will buy imported butter.

Not just the dairy either! After my first post-DS trip to Europe in 2011 I swear that the meat is better in Europe as well!

Marmite....Ah, memories. When I was a seminary freshman in Germany, my roomie went on a Marmite kick, along with lots of other products that had yeasties and fermented things. It smelled interesting sometimes :). She wound up needing blood transfusions for a horrific anemia issue that turned critical when she had a root canal and bled a little bit. Scary stuff. She had no idea she was in such trouble until that put her over the edge.

there must be a reason for it - what the cows eat? how the milk is processed?

It depends on the country, but in general, the laws in the EU nations about what beef and dairy cattle consume are damned tough. The Irish dairy lobby/council, in particular, is very vocal about Irish and EU standards in comparison to those of certain other countries .

Some, perhaps much, of this came from the "mad cow" scare some years back, which led to gazillions of cows being slaughtered all over Britain and Western Europe.

Latest posts

Back