Getting to know you guys

thank you very much for allowing me into our group, it will be good to keep in touch with people who have gone through the same experiences, but being in the UK I guess things are done very differently over here. I have often read of people going for regular lab tests, even on a monthly basis, that doesnt happen in the UK, and of course the things that are available for you to buy are not readily available over here. but at least we do have common ground and that is the things that go on inside our heads! I had RNY done nearly 5 years ago and am now struggling as I have gained 20+ lbs in this time, so not a happy bunny with myself, hoping this new year I can get my head into a better place and try losing some of this surplus weight i have gained.
But on a positive, I am looking forward to getting to know you guys

Although I'm more familiar with DS requirements than RNY, there are RNY veterans here who can help - try posting on the RNY forum for more focused attention. Generally, high protein, low carb is the way to go. Welcome!

Hi Andrea good to see a fellowship Brit on board. BTW I've managed to wangle getting labs done quarterly. Not sure how often an RNYer should have labs done, but it's amazing what a letter to your GP can achieve.

Hi Andrea! Fellow RNYer here, almost 9 years out. Curious, how often are you allowed to have labs drawn? I do mine annually and if needed do a recheck of things that are on the low side or deficiencies. Welcome!

Hi Andrea! Where are you from? And Huneypie, you too! I used to travel a lot and I'd like to imagine you where you actually live. And I love your country!

I live in Las Vegas. Yes, regular people do live here. And I'm not an Elvis impersonator but I did share Thanksgiving dinner with one!

Over the years I have spent a lot of time in London. OMG, cream tea, clotted cream, cornish cream ice cream, HUGE peas, fish and chips, yummy plaice, Fortnum and Mason, and my first pizza with corn on it. Yup, I ate London. Drank it too.

Last edited:
You don't normally have corn on pizza?! I'm glad you got to experience a pizza basic. I even got to experience banana on pizza - a South African specialty... I just can't bring myself to add it as it just seems wrong even though it was good (plus I never have bananas in the house) ;-)

Hi again guys, I am from North East Lincolnshire, a place called Grimsby. Famous for its battered Fish Chips and mushy peas. I have a blood test just once a year, I am 5 years in and not once have i had a B12 injection, although i was told it should be done every 3 months. Only supplements I take are Calcium tabs once daily and a multi vitamin chewy pastille once a day. So to compensate the B12 I also have a very good intake of Marmite. You guys may know it as yeast extract, not sure or maybe veggiemite. On work days i have it every mid morning on crackers with butter. probably should try and for go the butter but afraid that is my hang up. I even tried taking a seed called Chia, meant to be from mexico. when i ran out of them can't say as i noticed a difference, so no way of knowing if they were doing me any good or not.

Hi Andrea, just wanted to ask where the mountains in your avatar are at?

also, what Diana said about posting on your surgery forum. I think it's helpful to break questions down into the smallest parts you can and ask each one individually. for example (and this is for anyone) rather than ask: how can I lose this regain? you might ask, does everyone still track their protein or how much water are you getting in.

or, how do you give up donuts....as I happen to live very near to one and can SMELL them many mornings....

Last edited:
Hi Jackie, they are part of the mountains in The Lake District, which is in Cumbria in the UK. It is a very inspirational place and I love it there. we try and go at least once a year, even if only for a weekend. We will be there this April for a week, I always look forward to it so much. There is a cottage where we stay, been going there for the last 20 years. Would never dream of staying anywhere else other than My Cottage! It is magical, has wonderful scenery of mountains out of each and every window. We actually own an american RV, but I would not dream of going there in the RV, it has to be in My Cottage! My husband says I am mad... That we have such a magnificent beast at home yet I still insist we go stay in the cottage and pay rent to someone else! If you ever want to be bored with photos of the lakes then just ask away.
Andrea
X

Hi again guys, I am from North East Lincolnshire, a place called Grimsby. Famous for its battered Fish Chips and mushy peas. I have a blood test just once a year, I am 5 years in and not once have i had a B12 injection, although i was told it should be done every 3 months. Only supplements I take are Calcium tabs once daily and a multi vitamin chewy pastille once a day. So to compensate the B12 I also have a very good intake of Marmite. You guys may know it as yeast extract, not sure or maybe veggiemite. On work days i have it every mid morning on crackers with butter. probably should try and for go the butter but afraid that is my hang up. I even tried taking a seed called Chia, meant to be from mexico. when i ran out of them can't say as i noticed a difference, so no way of knowing if they were doing me any good or not.
I actually like Marmite but it's hard to find here. The B thing really isn't odd. The part of the stomach that absorbs the B's usually isn't disturbed with the DS. A few of us need the shots but most don't! I tend to run high B's so I cut way back. I haven't done chia seeds but other like them! Flax seeds too.

Hi Jackie, they are part of the mountains in The Lake District, which is in Cumbria in the UK. It is a very inspirational place and I love it there. we try and go at least once a year, even if only for a weekend. We will be there this April for a week, I always look forward to it so much. There is a cottage where we stay, been going there for the last 20 years. Would never dream of staying anywhere else other than My Cottage! It is magical, has wonderful scenery of mountains out of each and every window. We actually own an american RV, but I would not dream of going there in the RV, it has to be in My Cottage! My husband says I am mad... That we have such a magnificent beast at home yet I still insist we go stay in the cottage and pay rent to someone else! If you ever want to be bored with photos of the lakes then just ask away.
Andrea
X
Love the Lake District! So green, beautiful, and peaceful! I'd go for the cottage too!

I live in Las Vegas. Yes, regular people do live here. And I'm not an Elvis impersonator but I did share Thanksgiving dinner with one!

Over the years I have spent a lot of time in London. OMG, cream tea, clotted cream, cornish cream ice cream, HUGE peas, fish and chips, yummy plaice, Fortnum and Mason, and my first pizza with corn on it. Yup, I ate London. Drank it too.

Och! Clotted cream....oat cakes...curries...beef pasties. Sigh. Going back across the pond is one of my major goals after this surgery.

Latest posts

Back