Getting nervous about DS

Oops-I see she's had the procedure and has lost tons of weight. Sorry Brooklyngirl! I had confused you and Jerseygirl. Hehe! JG I hope you reconsider but, as you well know, the proverbial ball is in your court. You can take the path we ALL took for years, either flailing about wildly diet to diet in a vain attempt to solve our morbid obesity, or getting serious and choosing a plan that actually works. Surely you didn't think that achieving the amount of weight loss you can with DS, would come without a price? If so....silly rabbit!! NOTHING truly great in our lives comes for free. Great relationship? You can bet your ass there's a human being with frailties and less than noble traits that will drive you crazy at times. Good job? Yeah, except for that one psychotic manager seemingly devoted to making everyone work harder than they need to. It's just a matter of doing an HONEST cost benefit analysis of the rewards and costs, and making a decision based on the facts. As for "she who herds cats" and many others here who may express themselves forcibly or even a tad acerbically here, please try to receive it in the spirit it was given. She IS TRYING TO HELP YOU! There is no other logical reason for someone to take valuable time out of their busy day to communicate truths here, than because they have chosen to pay it forward by posting their experiences, knowledge, etc for others to learn from.

Look, I'm a 52 yr old man who's worked with frequently violent patients for 32 yrs. (yes I too am in the healthcare field). I've never been afraid to take a violent person down if necessary, and have basically been known as a "take no crap from anyone" kind of guy. That being said, I am wise enough to know that when it comes to this subject-I am a child. I willingly sit at the feet of others who haven't just read a thing or 2 about DS-they have lived it! Many here would qualify as expert witnesses in actual court, not to mention the court of public opinion. So, a simple suggestion if I may. Why not try to be humble and just accept that while you+I are relative novices, Elizabeth, Southernlady, Diana and many others are EXPERTS. Enjoy the FREE knowledge they willingly impart.

Last edited:
N
So today I had my pre-op testing. All was well except my EKG. I have to see a cardiologist and get a clearance from him/her. Surgeon's PA said they weren't sure if I had an actual infarction or not. So a little clarification is needed.
Just saw this Terri. Hope you get good news quickly

I admit I'm a novice with the DS info. I am happy to receive information, but when someone presumes to know my mental state without ever asking and that there's only one way, her way, well, she may have intended to impart knowledge but the abrasiveness in her behavior was uncalled for. Better to walk away from people like that. They have their own issues causing such outbursts. There's just no need for such abrasiveness. Nonewhatsoever.

Yes, personally, I still think diet and exercise is equally as good as the DS in accomplishing the goal, if one can stick to it. I'm not yet ready this very moment to abandon the idea of doing it naturally, which is not to say that anyone else made a wrong decision or that I won't eventually decide on the DS. I'm still gathering information.

I admit I'm a novice with the DS info. I am happy to receive information, but when someone presumes to know my mental state without ever asking and that there's only one way, her way, well, she may have intended to impart knowledge but the abrasiveness in her behavior was uncalled for. Better to walk away from people like that. They have their own issues causing such outbursts. There's just no need for such abrasiveness. Nonewhatsoever.

Yes, personally, I still think diet and exercise is equally as good as the DS in accomplishing the goal, if one can stick to it. I'm not yet ready this very moment to abandon the idea of doing it naturally, which is not to say that anyone else made a wrong decision or that I won't eventually decide on the DS. I'm still gathering information.

Ok-I see you are in an early phase of your decision making about WLS. Understand and respect your right to decide for yaself. But do understand some important things about obesity you may not be fully comprehending.
1. Fat cells- As you may well know, a normal sized adult has as many of these as they're ever going to. They will shrink and enlarge depending on calories consumed, but the amount really doesn't change. Of course, such is NOT the case with you and I. As a fat person becomes obese, their fat cells enlarge until they reach a certain point-they then divide and become 2 cells, then 4, then a million cells, then a billion, etc. The simple fact is each fat cell is a receptor site just waiting for fat molecules to stroll along and bind to. The more of them you have, the greater your ability to store fat like a mofo! Ever watch skinny folk eat like bears and NOT GAIN AN OUNCE? That is part of the reason why....but there are more reasons too.
2. Metabolic syndrome- You do realize that morbidly obese folks almost always have a problem with insulin resistance...don't you? We tend to have hyper responsive pancreatic cells which produce excessive amounts of insulin. This simple article explains why this is a problem: http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/why-we-get-fat.html .
3. Is it really reasonable to expect ANYONE to exercise consistantly and effectively while they are carrying 1 or more additional people on their shoulders, weight wise? Especially as they reach age 35, 40, 50, etc? Puleeze!! The strongest among us will quickly fall to injury, exhaustion, and utter frustration. It's NOT THE ANSWER.
Look, if Einstein was correct stating: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein , then I say don't be crazy! Look for another option besides what you have already proven doesn't work. Just sayin'.

Elizabeth,

My child with special needs is close to 60 lbs and very tall for his/her age. I had (and continue to have) a very, very tough time with diaper changes, although my child is mobile and despises being cleaned. It's more of a wrestling match sometimes. LOL

I agree with @Elizabeth N. about the over-planning. My state has no help at all for parents of special needs children, there is no Medicaid waiver, and we make "too much" (bwahahaha) for Social Security. Therefore, I was on my own. I am so glad that it sounds like you at least have a little help during recovery. Please gather all the help that you can, and you can always cut back if you don't need it.

Every state has waiver services. Look at this link. Every state manages their waiver services differently and most have horrid waiting lists. http://www.medicaid.gov/Medicaid-CHIP-Program-Information/By-Topics/Waivers/Waivers.html It should offer you respite services at least. If you need help tracking down how to apply, PM me and I'll do a bit of research.

Me :)

Thanks I had the EKG and the dr through in a stress test just for fun. I have not had a heart attack or anything, just a very slight murmur. Passed the stress test with no problems. Now waiting on surgeon's office with surgery date. Thanks!

Excellent news Terri! I'll bet ya surgery date will be soon, as you've already been fully vetted. I'll race ya to the table lady! :p

Excellent news Terri! I'll bet ya surgery date will be soon, as you've already been fully vetted. I'll race ya to the table lady! :p
You're on! I am afraid you will win, though. I am not a patient person I am learning. I made the 1st call and scheduled the seminar on 2-26 and it seems as if the process is taking forever. I don't know that I would have been able to take it if I had to wait months or even years as some people.

BTW isn't there a certain amount of time the blood tests are "good" for? I was thinking that they had to do the surgery within 30 days of the blood tests or they would have to run them again. Is this true, anybody?

As for "she who herds cats" and many others here who may express themselves forcibly or even a tad acerbically here, please try to receive it in the spirit it was given. She IS TRYING TO HELP YOU! There is no other logical reason for someone to take valuable time out of their busy day to communicate truths here, than because they have chosen to pay it forward by posting their experiences, knowledge, etc for others to learn from.

Nah, I'm here to be an abusive sociopath. It's how I get my rocks off.

I dieted my way UP to 250. Then back down, then back up but my high point was 250.

I have been overweight/obese/morbidly obese since I was 12. I am now almost 60. I got tired of spinning my wheels. All that does is dig you in deeper. WLS was the gravel, board, whatever I needed to put under my wheels so I didn't keep sinking in the mud.
If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging. Will Rogers
I stopped digging but it took me a LONG time to come to that.

MY ONLY regret is that I did not do WLS sooner but I honestly felt it wasn't for me, that I could diet my way out of the mess I was in. However, if I had done it sooner, I'm not sure I would have found the DS.

IF you decide on WLS, as part of this journey, your surgeon WILL require a psych eval.

You're on! I am afraid you will win, though. I am not a patient person I am learning. I made the 1st call and scheduled the seminar on 2-26 and it seems as if the process is taking forever. I don't know that I would have been able to take it if I had to wait months or even years as some people.

BTW isn't there a certain amount of time the blood tests are "good" for? I was thinking that they had to do the surgery within 30 days of the blood tests or they would have to run them again. Is this true, anybody?

They will draw blood at the hospital regardless of what you have had done previously. The hospital did blood work on me the day before and the day of my surgery.

I know this is an dead thread but I found it very useful since I have a 12 year old disabled son who's 5 ft 4 inches and 124 lbs plus a 14 month old girl and we're trying to figure out how long I need to not lift. Thank you!

Latest posts

Back