Getting nervous about DS

you know, I could get on board a need for therapy IF I were "doing this to myself"...if I were not always trying to fix it. But it is not IMHO something like cancer that always requires a doctor to correct. There is nothing in my pathology that is about me thinking I don't deserve health. Maybe one of you experienced that and your projecting. I'd suggest a little less projection and a little more getting to know a person and perhaps choosing words more carefully if your intent is to present something as a possible need.

I am an true believer that even healthy (ie:mind, body and soul) people benefit from therapy. ALTHOUGH, not everyone believes that. And that's ok. I think we all get where we need to be in our own time. If Jerseygirl69 doesn't think she needs therapy, that's ok too. If someone thinks she's wrong, that's their own opinion. I just don't think someone should run to therapy unless they are ready. And being told they're in denial, is maybe adding to the problem. I would say this, (not regarding WLS) therapy is beneficial for many reasons. It does not mean you don't have a "clear head" or that you don't have a "handle" on your life. It can mean that a different perspective is beneficial. That maybe another persons view could possible be helpful and maybe point out something that wasn't "in plain site". Ya know? @jerseygirl69 Don't close your mind to a little extra "help". I have only ever gained perspective and positive feelings from any therapy I have ever had. Good luck to you! :)

you know, I could get on board a need for therapy IF I were "doing this to myself"...if I were not always trying to fix it. But it is not IMHO something like cancer that always requires a doctor to correct. There is nothing in my pathology that is about me thinking I don't deserve health. Maybe one of you experienced that and your projecting. I'd suggest a little less projection and a little more getting to know a person and perhaps choosing words more carefully if your intent is to present something as a possible need.

You're not doing the super morbid obesity to yourself. You're doing the avoidance of serious medical issues to yourself. And yeah, super morbid obesity is pretty comparable to cancer in its need for surgical treatment for survival. You're in a health care field; go look up the results of "dieting and exercising" in persons with a BMI in excess of 50; how much they lose and for how long they keep it off.

To stick with the cancer analogy: If you had a cancer diagnosis and went to a doctor, and that doctor told you to go with a treatment that had perhaps a 10% chance of a 2-year remission, when there was a treatment with an 80-plus% chance of 20-plus-year remission, what would you think of that doc's medical advice?

Only you can know when you're ready to go for a treatment that will work. That's what we're all trying to say. We've all been there. In my case, I weighed 400 pounds and had perhaps a couple years left to live, was on 19 prescription meds per day, oxygen 24/7, sleep apnea so severe that I would have needed hospital equipment in my home had I not been moving forward with WLS.....

I KNOW where you will be in a few short years if you keep trying to diet and exercise your way out of this. I'd rather that you not have to experience this for yourself, and that motivates my posting. But not to worry, I won't waste any more time. You will know when you are ready and I will look forward to helping you, if I can, when you're prepared to move forward to save your life.

wow. I've never been on a board where people ^ treated people like that. thanks for the info folks. I'll research in the background...I don't need to be talked to like that by someone I don't know.

I have a 'thinking' job, very sendentary (database administrator). For DS I plan to stay out at least 3 weeks, if my doctor lets me. After my RNY Dr. Simper (same doctor this time) wanted me back at work by Wednesday the week following surgery. I found the fatigue and brain fog daunting. Still waiting on DS consult from him (and getting downright antsy, checking email all the time, etc.). Very worried about insurance ... but I digress.

I am a Dr. Simper patient too. Wishing you a smooth journey.

What did I miss? Is Jerseygirl resistant to having the DS? Is it follow up care?

Latest posts

Back