Getting nervous about DS

@Terri have you gotten your surgery date yet?
No I have to see and get clearance from cardiologist first. As soon as that is done I will get it. All other tests are done and I have my preop instructions, including my antibacterial soap I have to shower with the before and day of surgery. I guess some must have been coming in stinky.

so is there no way this is just a week out of work and a week having dogs in boarding or a health aide?

There is a very small handful of people who said they have gone back to a very sedentary desk job at one week post-op. They will also tell you that it was difficult. It is unrealistic to expect this to be the normal course. Have you ever had surgery before? If so, what was that recovery like? Most people don't understand what is involved in getting the DS. It is a huge surgery. HUGE!

What are your doctor's recommendations?

Does getting my wisdom teeth out count? LOL Of course then I had a tough time coming out of anasthesia and had someone drive me home. No doctor yet. Have avoided my personal physician since I gained all this weight. It being a huge surgery, my reservations continue...

I have a 'thinking' job, very sendentary (database administrator). For DS I plan to stay out at least 3 weeks, if my doctor lets me. After my RNY Dr. Simper (same doctor this time) wanted me back at work by Wednesday the week following surgery. I found the fatigue and brain fog daunting. Still waiting on DS consult from him (and getting downright antsy, checking email all the time, etc.). Very worried about insurance ... but I digress.

Does getting my wisdom teeth out count? LOL Of course then I had a tough time coming out of anasthesia and had someone drive me home. No doctor yet. Have avoided my personal physician since I gained all this weight. It being a huge surgery, my reservations continue...
If you have avoided your PCP, how do you know that you are not already loaded down with comorbidities?

I agree^^^

I toyed with the idea of WLS for years until I had to get a proper physical with blood work done for work (it had been quite a while before that) when I came back with a "pre diabetes" diagnosis, that's what finally lit a fire under my ass and I scheduled a consult. Regardless of your decision, you should really have a physical and blood work done. When you're MO or especially SMO, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea are all pretty likely to happen at some point.

It was only with the recent regain that I have avoided the doctor. I didn't say I didn't have any comorbidities. I do. I am in a healthcare field, so some are self diagnosed but likely accurate. I'm insulin resistant, borderline HBP, sluggish thyroid, I have apnea and GERD, plantar fasciatis and perhaps a few more. It's still not been enough to light a fire, and I don't know why.

It's still not been enough to light a fire, and I don't know why.

because you are tired!

images

It was only with the recent regain that I have avoided the doctor. I didn't say I didn't have any comorbidities. I do. I am in a healthcare field, so some are self diagnosed but likely accurate. I'm insulin resistant, borderline HBP, sluggish thyroid, I have apnea and GERD, plantar fasciatis and perhaps a few more. It's still not been enough to light a fire, and I don't know why.
Therapy. Now. Please. And fergawdsake stop the self diagnosis, it's an excellent way to kill yourself.

Like I said, I'm in a healthcare field, so I'm not blind about my condition. I monitor my BS. I am aware of my BP, the apnea and Gerd are easy to diagnose and started this year. I don't think that's cause, Elizabeth, for me to head to therapy, but I appreciate your concern. I by no means consider myself a health practitioner, but I am aware of the issues I do have.

I second the therapy suggestion. Have you asked yourself why you don't want to treat this disease you have? If you had cancer or pneumonia would you go for treatment? Obese people have a bad habit of thinking that 'they don't deserve' treatment because the disease was self-induced. (which may or may not be the case). I am of the camp that says EVERYONE can benefit in some way from therapy. (unless they are perfect, in which case, maybe not) :)

Like I said, I'm in a healthcare field, so I'm not blind about my condition. I monitor my BS. I am aware of my BP, the apnea and Gerd are easy to diagnose and started this year. I don't think that's cause, Elizabeth, for me to head to therapy, but I appreciate your concern. I by no means consider myself a health practitioner, but I am aware of the issues I do have.

Yeah, you need therapy. It would help a lot in sorting through your denial, preferably BEFORE you are completely crippled.

Being aware of issues does not mitigate denial, not a bit.

You belong in medical care yesterday. Please quit doing this to yourself. You deserve better.

Latest posts

Back