Generic DS Lab order

I think the selenium is one of the more expensive tests. If it were me pre-op, @Susan in Tennessee I'd skip this one until 3 month post-op labs.
I don't see selenium on this "generic lab list". I see it listed under the Diagnosis list where the codes are listed though. Dang, I was liking the idea of removing an expensive test to lower the estimate! I used to think I was relatively competent but the last day or so I'm beginning to wonder.

I don't see selenium on this "generic lab list". I see it listed under the Diagnosis list where the codes are listed though. Dang, I was liking the idea of removing an expensive test to lower the estimate! I used to think I was relatively competent but the last day or so I'm beginning to wonder.
Star based he price on the list I gave her...so if selenium isn't there, I didn't have it added.

star0210 is with a company who contracts with a doc in each state to write lab orders (for anything not just DS labs) to be drawn at Quest (I think).

How important is Thiamine to test for? I've sent the surgeon's requests to my local doctor, who said the lab at the hospital doesn't perform that test.

What is the schedule for labs. I'm about a month out now. When and how often should I start checking?

Most surgeons will want to do a 3, 6 and 12 month check first year and then depending on your results probably every 6 months the next year

What is the schedule for labs. I'm about a month out now. When and how often should I start checking?

Subjective. I'd say that once absolutely everything is normal, it might be okay to do two or three times a year.

But we each COULD have specific values that need closer supervision. For example, I was in a hospital, IVs in my arm, getting prepped for shock wave treatment on my kidneys...so no incisions needed, no actual surgery. But the procedure was cancelled because my PT/INR was a teensy bit too high...which meant that my blood took almost a second too long to clot, and any bleeding in the kidney (like bruises from the shock waves) might fill the kidney with blood and cause a bunch of other trouble.

All of that was related to my malabsorption of Vitamin K, and insufficient supplementation.

And now I need to do the procdure again and the clotting time is too long again.

Sooo....to me, this means that I need to get it to normal and check maybe every two or three months...because I don't want to bleed out at some critically important but more invasive procedure.

My PTH and serum calcium need frequent watching, too. So I can keep my teeth.

However! Some of us have perfectly normal lab results and can do less frequnt testing than I can.
[
%
¥

As sue mentioned we are all different. I am monthly due to malabsorption and nutritional deficiencies. My is K is also very low but my inr is in range. I am going to be getting surgery very soon so I might start chugging k. :D

Latest posts

Back