First visit with surgeon today

nedsmehlp

I had my first visit with the surgeon today. She doesn't like the way I've been eating. (Not much protein) She said she will not do the surgery until I prove to her that I can eat 80 grams of protein per day. I have to journal my food for 4 weeks and she will decide whether she will do it or not. I was expecting to get a surgery date today after the long 6 month waiting period, so I am so upset!! It is such a let down. It will be at least 2 1/2 months to 3 months, if she will even do it! Sorry for the rant, but I am so let down and upset! I know I would eat that much protein after surgery because I know I could get very sick if I didn't. I didn't expect this at all!! Just had to rant to someone. Thanks for listening.

That's disappointing, but this is a very small setback in the greater scheme of things. Start eating more protein, keep your records, and I bet when you see the surgeon again in one month it will be a go.

Bummer. I would understand exactly what she wants and show her a food journal that says that. But do know you are going to have to eat a lot of protein after surgery. It's 4 weeks, that is all. Hang in there.

Hi @nedsmehelp, so sorry that your doctor wasn't more clear with expectations up front. How frustrating. Hoping the time flies by and that you're in a great nutritional status the day of your procedure!

Not to be unsympathetic because I certainly understand your frustration and am sorry you got news you didn't want to hear today, but I have to ask. Why aren't you eating 80 grams of protein a day? Forgive me if I missed or forgot your story. The DS requires eating more than 80 grams of protein a day so although the timing of the Dr telling you this is not good, it isn't and unreasonable request because you will be eating more in the neighborhood of 125 grams of protein daily once you 4-6 months post DS.

Sorry. That's gotta be frustrating. But it's good to protein load before a surgery anyway -- you'll heal better. This is a good time to experiment with protein drinks, but don;t buy too many as your tastes can change post-op. There's a list on this site of types and sources. Before my DS, I sent to away for samples at a reduced price. (I still have most of them as I thought they were icky.) I prefer ready to drink Premier Protein which one can get at a good price at Sam's Club or Costco, and Walmart may carry it too but in smaller quantity. You'll get 30g protein per container - three of those and you've met her requirement. Unjury protein is very good quality. I like their chicken broth flavor (nice to have something not sweet for a change) but it has too much sodium for me.

I realize she's an excellent surgeon, by making sure I can live with the protein. My husband is very happy to see she cares about the person and not just the money. I guess I just wish I had known 6 months ago that I should up my protein by a large amount before the surgery. I would have gladly done that months ago. Oh well, I will just start to journal and follow my surgeons directions, after all, I now feel VERY confident I have picked the right surgeon. Thanks for all your comments. I appreciate all the responses.

Latest posts

Back