Financing

MellyBean1984

If you were self pay and POSSIBLY staying in the US how would you finance the surgery? I know I'm looking at $25-32,000 if no issues arise. My husband has excellent credit so that shouldn't be an issue if we need to apply for a medical loan. But obviously I'm wanting to save as much as possible. Our house is paid off but I'm afraid to put it as collateral. My husband has a good job but the hours might not always be as steady as they are now and I don't want to lose our house. We have a 401K but I'm not quite understanding all of the terms with taking a loan out on it and how much I can expect to pay back. I'm also wondering if it would be possible to get a hardship loan?

I work in the Lending business and the least expensive money you are going to find with be a HELOC - which is a home equity line of credit. You could do a personal loan, but the interest rate will be a couple points higher.

I understand not wanting to use your house, but if you value you credit, which its sounds like you do, you will pay the loan off, so think about why you don't want to use your house.

Also, I had a great experince in Mexico with Dr. Esquerra and so did a ton of other people here, so I would really consider that. Lots of us can talk about it if you want more info, It was 11K for me.

I'm really considering him because I wouldn't have to take out a loan. I could have that money put up before next summer and have all of my travel expenses. Did you use any kind of leave from work? If so did they fill out everything for you? That's been the one question I've asked them and haven't got an answer to. I'm terrified of having surgery here, having a complication then I'm $30,000 in debt from the surgery and $50,000 in debt from the complication. It probably wouldn't happen but if it does I'm screwed. I know I can claim the surgery on taxes but I'm probably not going to get that much of it back, if any!

Seriously, I was all freaked out about everything you are experincing. I dealt with the leave from work on my own, but I just had one form to fill out. California has temp disbility.

If it's a virgin DS, you should be fine in MX I would think. Complications are rare. Dr. Esquerra is a good doctor and complications are rare. I think you are in as good if not better hands with him then you will be with a Dr here.

here is a video that talked about the process and it helped and went through the whole process -

And I did not do any of the pre-op tests people talk about. They gave me a EKG there and did some blood work, but not the other tests people talk about here.

Keep asking questions. I thought Mexico was crazy at first, and I remember Googling the DS and seeing ads in Google and thinking wow, who would do that. But, if you do your homework, it makes sense. Two tips for the flight. On the way back, I upgraded to first class and I got a wheelchair at the airport.

So, at least for me, I over thought this with tons of worry, etc. The care is just as good in MX and in fact, they keep you in the hosiptal longer to make sure you are all set.

I can't promise you that you wont have complications but they could happen anywhere whther you pay 11K in MX of 32K in the US.

Last edited:
I never thought I'd be considering Mexico! Here I am though. It's not just about the money either. I haven't seen one bad review from an actual patient at Mexicali bariatric. Anything can happen of course but if I have a complication it'll be handled regardless. I'd rather it not bankrupt me though! I actually already have a sleeve. I'd like to be resleeved. If he tells me it's unneeded or not feasible then it just won't happen. Thank you so much for the video!! I actually am feeling more relaxed with going to Mexico than staying here! I'm trying to learn a little more Spanish but I know very very little. Do you think that would be an issue?

lol....I never thought I'd go to MX either. I thought it was insane just insane. But it's not IF you have the right Dr. There are horror stories, but not with Mexicali. It was a great experince for what it was.

I knew NO spanish and it did not matter. Everyone spoke english. I will send you a PM with another link that someone explained their experince on another board.

Good luck.

I went to Spain with my H and my sister when they had surgery. Cleanest hospital I ever saw and the food was amazing. I got to eat...they didn't. Mexicali is the real deal with less hassle and less money out of your pocket.

Latest posts

Back