Feeding tube after revision?

OrganicLife

Had my video conference with Dr. K. Went well. getting all my ducks in the row. Most likely it will be the 1st week of november.

So much information was discussed during the call. Got a very GOOD feeling with Dr. K. I didn't feel like I was a failure, explaining everything...and there is a lot. He listened and asked me some questions. What I should have clarified with him, but I didn't because other items came up in discussion....the feeding tube. What? What feeding tube? He said I will have to give myself nutrition that way. Has anyone else had that? How long does that stay in? I hope I don't have to go home on the plane with a tube. If I have too, I will deal with it. Where is that inserted? Will I have to go under again to have the tube taken out and suture whatever it comes out of? Do I have to fear leaking internally?

I have to send an email to his office to clarify this. I figured I would ask everyone here if they went through this and what should I expect with this.

I'm still going through all of this. Making my appointment for the upper GI series next week. Sent him all my operative reports, my scans, my endoscopes and medical folder. He will do the endoscopy when i'm there to make a final decision it he can do the surgery on me. PLEASE GOD, please, please, I pray Dr. K can fix me.

He gives all major revision patients a feeding tube that goes into your small intestine. It stays in fir 6 weeks. You will thankful you have it from what I am told because you will have a hard time eating and drinking early on. It makes sure that you stay hydrated and nourish as your insides are healing from a very major surgery.

If anyone can fix you it will be him. You will absolutely love him when you meet him in person. He incredibly smart, talanted, funny and cares about patients like no other Dr who I have ever seen. I bet he an I have traded over 500 emails the last two years.
Regarding first week of November, I had to s ramble and get my colectomy moved up to the 20th instead of the 27th because the week of the 31st he will be moderating an obesity conference in New Orleans. He might be back in office later in the week but not sure. He didn't want to operate on me the 27th and leave town the 31st in case I had a complication. Kristina will get you scheduled.

Best of luck and I am glad you had a great initial conversation. He will take care of you well.

Oh regarding feeding tube on flight I am told it fits under clothing very easily so shouldn't be any issues there. BTW I highly suggest paying for first class. Traveling after surgery isn't fun as you will not be feeling great so the money is well spent for a comfortable seat.

I forgot to mention. If you haven't done so make sure you like his central Valley Bariatrics FB page. He posts a lot of great articles and studies from the medical world. He also post great food recipes for us.

He also has a private FB group you can join if you want. There are lots of great people and many from here in that group. It is called Duodenal Switch. You have to have a friend on FB add you to the group so if you want to do that and are comfortable friend ing me I will add you. Scott Reicheneker is my name if you want to send a friend request and join. If not no big deal but I wanted to make you aware of that group as it has great information on living with the DS.

I had a feeding tube after my revision from RNY to DS. It is inserted into your intestine and had to stay there for a minimum of 6 weeks weather you use it or not otherwise there is a chance for leaks so you have to be careful not to yank it out. I used mine for the liquid pain medication (faster and no nasty taste) it's also good to get a pill crusher so you can crush tylonel etc to put through there until your cleared to swallow pills. I pushed protein shakes and water through there the first few days because I felt I wasn't getting enough by mouth. Otherwise I just had it taped to my side the rest of the time.

It was placed on my stomach on my left side below my rib cage about the height of my belly button or a little higher.

I will tell you it's uncomfortable at least mine was very uncomfortable and sometimes painful. Everyone's experience is different. Some people it's there and they don't even notice. However it is a necessary evil because better to have it surgically put in by Dr. K andnot need it than need it and have to have it put in after the fact.

I was an out of state patient but intended to have Dr K take it out as I planned to see him for my 6 week follow up since I am only in AZ. However my tube fell out on its own about a week and a half before that. Of corse it was like 10 a clock at night and my husband was out of town and it freaked me out! I text Dr. K and he called me immediately and said if it came out on its own and wasn't yanked out I was fine so long as I don't spike a high fever or massive abdominal pain in the next 24 hours. Fortunately everything was fine.

Dr K is AMAZING! He is hands down the best surgeon and a great guy. I was revised to the DS for severe dumping and had a very complicated surgery since I had a previous thoracic surgery and a splenectomy in the last few years that resulted in a ton of adhesions and scar tissue and he said I was just a mess inside. Was very sore after but no complications and this has been the best choice I could have made! Not only has it cured my dumping but I have a list not only the weight I had regained but more than I even lost with my intital RNY. My only regret is I didn't do this sooner! Best of luck to you and if I can answer any other questions feel free to ask!

He gives all major revision patients a feeding tube that goes into your small intestine. It stays in fir 6 weeks. You will thankful you have it from what I am told because you will have a hard time eating and drinking early on. It makes sure that you stay hydrated and nourish as your insides are healing from a very major surgery.

If anyone can fix you it will be him. You will absolutely love him when you meet him in person. He incredibly smart, talanted, funny and cares about patients like no other Dr who I have ever seen. I bet he an I have traded over 500 emails the last two years.
Regarding first week of November, I had to s ramble and get my colectomy moved up to the 20th instead of the 27th because the week of the 31st he will be moderating an obesity conference in New Orleans. He might be back in office later in the week but not sure. He didn't want to operate on me the 27th and leave town the 31st in case I had a complication. Kristina will get you scheduled.

Best of luck and I am glad you had a great initial conversation. He will take care of you well.

Oh regarding feeding tube on flight I am told it fits under clothing very easily so shouldn't be any issues there. BTW I highly suggest paying for first class. Traveling after surgery isn't fun as you will not be feeling great so the money is well spent for a comfortable seat.

Thank you. The very best to you on your upcoming surgery.

I will be coming home on first class in the isle seat, so if I have the need to get to the bathroom, I don't have to climb over anyone. Usually when I fly, I always sit by the window so I don't have to get up for anyone. I have traveled first class a few times for business, and there is plenty of room where I may not have to get up for anyone, and some of the planes even have the dream seats where they completely recline into a bed.

I wonder how the airlines will work with the liquid pain medicine? I will have the airline staff bring me in with a wheelchair as well and when I get off the plane too.

I had a feeding tube after my revision from RNY to DS. It is inserted into your intestine and had to stay there for a minimum of 6 weeks weather you use it or not otherwise there is a chance for leaks so you have to be careful not to yank it out. I used mine for the liquid pain medication (faster and no nasty taste) it's also good to get a pill crusher so you can crush tylonel etc to put through there until your cleared to swallow pills. I pushed protein shakes and water through there the first few days because I felt I wasn't getting enough by mouth. Otherwise I just had it taped to my side the rest of the time.

It was placed on my stomach on my left side below my rib cage about the height of my belly button or a little higher.

I will tell you it's uncomfortable at least mine was very uncomfortable and sometimes painful. Everyone's experience is different. Some people it's there and they don't even notice. However it is a necessary evil because better to have it surgically put in by Dr. K andnot need it than need it and have to have it put in after the fact.

I was an out of state patient but intended to have Dr K take it out as I planned to see him for my 6 week follow up since I am only in AZ. However my tube fell out on its own about a week and a half before that. Of corse it was like 10 a clock at night and my husband was out of town and it freaked me out! I text Dr. K and he called me immediately and said if it came out on its own and wasn't yanked out I was fine so long as I don't spike a high fever or massive abdominal pain in the next 24 hours. Fortunately everything was fine.

Dr K is AMAZING! He is hands down the best surgeon and a great guy. I was revised to the DS for severe dumping and had a very complicated surgery since I had a previous thoracic surgery and a splenectomy in the last few years that resulted in a ton of adhesions and scar tissue and he said I was just a mess inside. Was very sore after but no complications and this has been the best choice I could have made! Not only has it cured my dumping but I have a list not only the weight I had regained but more than I even lost with my intital RNY. My only regret is I didn't do this sooner! Best of luck to you and if I can answer any other questions feel free to ask!

Thanks for all that info. It answered a lot of my questions.

When you took a shower with that tube in, did you have to cover it to waterproof it? Did you have to replace the tube? Or did the same tube stay in for the whole time?

When your tube came out, did you have to do anything with the hole it left? I've had a hole in my abdomen before from an infected port being removed ( a lap band nightmare). I had to flush it and pack it three times a day till it closed (about 3 weeks). Does anything come out of that hole (acid, blood) does it leak? How long did it take to close that hole? I am assuming the hole is probably about the size of a pencil....is that about accurate?

I too will be a mess inside. I've had thoracic surgery, my gallbladder has been removed, c-section, lap band erosion, sleeve, and bipartition. I know my body produces cement type adhesions quickly and lots of them. I'm not expecting a quick surgery.

Did they put a foley in for the surgery? For your revision, did they get you up and walking when you woke up? From my thoracic open surgery, they got me up out of bed, just to stand a bit a few times and walking the next day. I felt like my insides were going to spill out....the pain was really up high too. I had a morphine pump for the pain management the first couple of days. then went to pills for the pain. Pill crusher is a great idea. Even for vitamins too. How long before you were cleared to swallow a pill?

If I may ask, how long has it been since your revision to DS?

Thanks again.

Thanks for all that info. It answered a lot of my questions.

When you took a shower with that tube in, did you have to cover it to waterproof it? Did you have to replace the tube? Or did the same tube stay in for the whole time?

When your tube came out, did you have to do anything with the hole it left? I've had a hole in my abdomen before from an infected port being removed ( a lap band nightmare). I had to flush it and pack it three times a day till it closed (about 3 weeks). Does anything come out of that hole (acid, blood) does it leak? How long did it take to close that hole? I am assuming the hole is probably about the size of a pencil....is that about accurate?

I too will be a mess inside. I've had thoracic surgery, my gallbladder has been removed, c-section, lap band erosion, sleeve, and bipartition. I know my body produces cement type adhesions quickly and lots of them. I'm not expecting a quick surgery.

Did they put a foley in for the surgery? For your revision, did they get you up and walking when you woke up? From my thoracic open surgery, they got me up out of bed, just to stand a bit a few times and walking the next day. I felt like my insides were going to spill out....the pain was really up high too. I had a morphine pump for the pain management the first couple of days. then went to pills for the pain. Pill crusher is a great idea. Even for vitamins too. How long before you were cleared to swallow a pill?

If I may ask, how long has it been since your revision to DS?

Thanks again.
Great questions! I had my surgery about 6 months ago. You can shower like normal and don't have to cover it it's good to clean around it like normal. He just said no submersion like in a bath. I had drainage around the tube that was a green milky looking discharge a few days after which he told me was just excess bile and nothing to worry about. Always had a little come out daily. So I would put some gauze under it before I taped it to my side so it wouldn't get all over my clothes. The same tube stays in the whole time since it's only six weeks all you really have to do with it is flush it with water. They will give u a couple of like big plastic syringes. Typically for closing he said they remove the tube pull the stitch that was holding it in tight and leave it alone. My stitch had "popped" off a few weeks prior to my tube coming out. I was at home so he told me to clean the area and cover it with a bandaid and leave it alone and it should mostly be closed within about 24 hours. By the next morning it was scabbed over and healed completely within about a week or so. Have a small scar. The tube is about the size of a large pen and it has a plug on the end.

I did have a catheter after surgery that came out the next day or late the day if surgery. They had me stand up to change bedding etc. they had me up more the next day - shower/sponge bath type thing and sit in a chair. I was on a pain pump until the last day so you could make sure your pain was u see control prior to leaving.

How long do you intend to stay in California? Do you k ow which hospital?

Great questions! I had my surgery about 6 months ago. You can shower like normal and don't have to cover it it's good to clean around it like normal. He just said no submersion like in a bath. I had drainage around the tube that was a green milky looking discharge a few days after which he told me was just excess bile and nothing to worry about. Always had a little come out daily. So I would put some gauze under it before I taped it to my side so it wouldn't get all over my clothes. The same tube stays in the whole time since it's only six weeks all you really have to do with it is flush it with water. They will give u a couple of like big plastic syringes. Typically for closing he said they remove the tube pull the stitch that was holding it in tight and leave it alone. My stitch had "popped" off a few weeks prior to my tube coming out. I was at home so he told me to clean the area and cover it with a bandaid and leave it alone and it should mostly be closed within about 24 hours. By the next morning it was scabbed over and healed completely within about a week or so. Have a small scar. The tube is about the size of a large pen and it has a plug on the end.

I did have a catheter after surgery that came out the next day or late the day if surgery. They had me stand up to change bedding etc. they had me up more the next day - shower/sponge bath type thing and sit in a chair. I was on a pain pump until the last day so you could make sure your pain was u see control prior to leaving.

How long do you intend to stay in California? Do you k ow which hospital?

I will be in the hospital next to his office. I was told I would be in CA for about 2 weeks. If there are any complications, I may be there longer. I will not be getting my return ticket the same time I purchase my ticket to CA. I still have to clarify it with the airlines to see if I can buy an open return ticket for 1st class. I don't even know if they do that now. I will find out. Still have to get the hotel as well.

I have so many scars on my gut, what's another one. Connect the dots to the lines (a little humor).

thanks again for your input.

Yeah, I heard that his revisions get a feeding tube. @Charris is a RNY to DS revision of his.
Thanks @southernlady
Yes, @OrganicLife ALL Dr. K revision get the j tube. It's supposed to stay in 6 weeks but it's up to each person to decide when to take it out. What K told me is he didn't care how long I kept the j tube as long as when I took it out I was able to sustain my own nutrition and hydration. I actually had mines 6 months. He told me it was my insurance. He said just as much as I didn't want him to have to take me back to surgery. He 28'(×*)2did not want to have to take me back to surgery .

i had revision surgery with Dr K almost 4 years ago. I also traveled. Only from Northern California so I was lucky. I drove or flew down for follow-ups I had complications and a slow recovery then most. I was in the hospital for 3 weeks then went directly home with 3 drains and a feeding tube. I was NPO for 8 weeks. The tube and I were friends for 14 weeks then enemy's for another 2 weeks before it was removed. No discharge. The only pain associated was I lost so much weight it was dangling and the stitches were pulling. I called Dr K and he had me cut the stitches. I put 4" split gauze around the tube and taped it horizontally to my abdomen. I used it (tube) for 14 weeks. All under my binder which I wore for 6 months. When it wrapped around twice I had to give it up. I called him from work an told him it has to go. He said ok go into the bathroom with a pair of scissors. I didn't I had my PCP take it out. Turns out I could have done it. Good luck with your surgery.
Best
Whit

Last edited:
Thank you. The very best to you on your upcoming surgery.

I will be coming home on first class in the isle seat, so if I have the need to get to the bathroom, I don't have to climb over anyone. Usually when I fly, I always sit by the window so I don't have to get up for anyone. I have traveled first class a few times for business, and there is plenty of room where I may not have to get up for anyone, and some of the planes even have the dream seats where they completely recline into a bed.

I wonder how the airlines will work with the liquid pain medicine? I will have the airline staff bring me in with a wheelchair as well and when I get off the plane too.
You are welcome thank you for the well wishes.

Liquid pain medicine should be fine as long as it is in the prescription bottle so they can see that it a prescription for you I never used liquid pain meds and either swallowed or crushed regular norco buy come to think about it I don't think I took any pain meds after I got home from my original DS.

By the way you can buy a first class fexible ticket but it is more money and I have just waited on past trips to buy return trip when I knew I would be release. The cost wasn't bad at all. One trip where my son had his surgery we bought the tickets the night before (Cameron was in the ER and Dr k told us there was no need to go see him the next day so we were free to go. The tickets to STL were only like $300 eacheck for one way round trip.. Knowing that he wI'll be leaving town for the conference the week of the 31st I went ahead and booked round trip first class both ways as my brother is too big to comfortably fly coach. I think I payed an extra $50 for each ticket for insurance in case I have a comI cation and am not able to leave the 29th to come back home.

Latest posts

Back