Facts about DS surgery

HereIGoAgain

There was a time when I knew most of the pros and cons of DS surgery but sadly Ill admit I didn't care about the cons because if I could've gotten approved for the procedure it wouldn't have mattered as I felt it was the best procedure out there. I still feel it would be my best bet but as I read though posts I read things about how people with GERD maybe this isn't the best option which makes me want to educate myself all over again on what to expect and I should continue working towards DS even if I have to self pay. Here are some of my health concerns (which sadly may not apply in terms of getting approval as they do not fit traditional weight related comorbidities).

- Two decades of PCOS contributing to weight gain and a very enlarged uterus that will eventually need to be removed (as well as many other side effects)
- LapBand March 2009- Lost 75lbs in one year (didnt reach goal but was comfortable at 160lbs until slowly regaining over two years after band had to be unfilled due to an ulcer and never reached restriction again)
- Revision to VSG in Nov 2011. 50lbs lost in 1 year (not even close to goal) began slowly regaining and am back to a BMI of 38. Never stopped experiencing hunger and had severe GERD from the first day of being sleeved
- Gallbladder removed in March 2016
- Hiatal Hernia symptoms began in Spring of 2016, unsure if this was related to gallbladder removal but it began around the same time, didnt get a diagnosis until August 2016
-July 2016 severe abdominal pain, diagnosed with two hernias (umbilical and incisional) with bowels protruding through abdominal wall- Scheduled repair October 5 2016

Because my highest ever BMI was 41 I know I am not the ideal DS candidate but so far I've had two surgeries and am pretty much sitting at my starting weight. I feel like a restrictive only procedure is not working well for me despite dedicated diet (which eventually I let slip) and I fear if I convert to RNY I will once again be suffering with disappointment 2 years post op. I am interested in learning more about DS to be as educated as possible. Please list all of the cons even if they are worth it. Thanks!

Welcome @HereIGoAgain
ONE major factor in the GERD argument...will you need NSAIDS as you age or do you need them already. If the answer is yes, then the RNY is OFF the table...regardless of the GERD issue.

I have GERD...I prefer to deal with it than ever go without my NSAIDS.

Welcome @HereIGoAgain
ONE major factor in the GERD argument...will you need NSAIDS as you age or do you need them already. If the answer is yes, then the RNY is OFF the table...regardless of the GERD issue.

I have GERD...I prefer to deal with it than ever go without my NSAIDS.

I currently use NSAIDS only on a very rare occasion but agree there is a chance as I get older the need may arise. If you dont mind southern lady can you please tell me what your pro and con list was when you went with DS. Also what are your typical symptoms now that you would attribute to it (i.e gas etc)

I currently use NSAIDS only on a very rare occasion but agree there is a chance as I get older the need may arise. If you dont mind southern lady can you please tell me what your pro and con list was when you went with DS. Also what are your typical symptoms now that you would attribute to it (i.e gas etc)
Pro: I kept my pyloric valve.
I stood the best chance of resolving diabetes. (95-97% of DS'ers resolve their diabetes. Unfortunately I seem to be in the 2-3% that didn't.
I could eat as normally as possible. Because of my diabetes, I was use to eating much lower carb than most
I had a good chance of resolving my high cholesterol. That DID happen, latest total in Aug 2016 was a whopping 145!
I could continue to use NSAIDS for my back and my arthritis.

Cons: I adored milk and until I started using raw milk, I became severely lactose intolerant. Discovered I am not lactose intolerant, I am PASTEURIZED intolerant.
I adore veggies but now I HAVE to make sure I get my protein in first.
I have to eat even on days when food sounds less than appetizing. But then skipping meals is not good for anyone.

When I had my DS, there were only three options that Medicare covered, the lap band, the RNY, and the DS. (Medicare didn't cover the VSG until 18 months after I had surgery). The lap band...not no but HELL NO. I would have stayed fat before having the RNY. Had to fight and FIRE a surgeon to get my DS. My first surgeon said I was too "lightweight". My second surgeon was more than willing but lived out of state to me. My Medicare Advantage plan approved the DS but not my out of state surgeon. I did find a surgeon in state that was willing but since he was partner's with my original one, my original surgeon had to release me.

I have never regretted my choice of surgery. My ONLY regret was that I was 56 when I finally got around to it. IF I had done it a few years earlier, I may now be fully free of my diabetes.

You have been on a long and rough road through WLS. I wouldn't do an RNY if I were you.
COns: No miracles here, the DS is not an eat-anything, eat as much as you want lifestyle. There are still significant rules. I have had to let go of carbs and eat mostly protein. I have many costly supplements and blood tests that i will need for the rest of my life, no matter what my finances or insurance benefits are like. I know doing less can have serious health consequences. Smelly gas and poop have caused problems at home, at work, and traveling with friends. I was never a binge eater or bulemic, so I didn't find the vastly reduced stomach an issue. I go to restaurants and can only eat one third of a delicious entree. I have to eat many small high protein meals even when I am not hungry. ( I never had GERD before surgery or after.) I have developed iron deficiency anemia, tooth loss, and osteopenia (low bone density), but I am not sure you can pin them on DS.
PRos: complete cure of diabetes the week of surgery. No gnawing hunger every hour. No hypertension, normal cholesterol. I reached goal weight within a year and stayed within 20 pounds of my lowest weight (too low) for 11 years. [It isn't without daily effort, though. I don't eat pasta at all, I severely limit bread and rice. I have a battle with sugar that I don't always win, but I have a high weight ceiling that I will not go beyond. When it is reached, all sugar and all carbs are banned at home and elsewhere. It has worked so far.]

There simply is no choice. The RnY doesn't work like the DS . The DS works, assuming you get a proper DS (proper limb lengths - see Traces ds diary thread so I don't have to repeat) and then you take vitamins as required.

Cons:

An improper DS can cause malnutrition like I had before getting revised to fix it.

You do have to take vitamins and get labs frequently to make sure dosage is proper or you can have serious health consequences.

Pros:

I am not average but I can eat anything. There are consequences to too many simple carbs such as bad gas and pain, but I have to eat a lot of those for that to happen

My Diabetes was out of control and immediately went into remission.

I should live 30 more years from health improvement from DS. If I die before then it will be cancer or something not DS related.

Honestly, if you need another surgery you would be making a very bad decision to get anything but the DS. That is because it has by far the best long term results. Finally I have never heard of anyone with a DS revising to an RnY but my surgeon alone has done hundreds of RnY to DS revisions. That should tell you something.

I'm one of the lucky ones that lost my gerd when I got the DS, even though my sleeve was made small, just like his stand alone sleeves, so I think it comes down to what's causing the gerd. Many of us get hernias fixed with our surgery, whicn can be a cause of gerd, but for me, just the weight loss was what I needed to fix it.

I also don't agree on you not being a good DS candidate. For those of us with PCOS, there is no better fix than the DS.

First of all, you already have 1/2 the DS so doing anything else makes no sense to me. Next, there is no WLS that works better, short or long term. Period! If there was, I would be all over it. Someday there will be something better. But not today!

First of all, you already have 1/2 the DS so doing anything else makes no sense to me. Next, there is no WLS that works better, short or long term. Period! If there was, I would be all over it. Someday there will be something better. But not today!
And adding the switch part is easy peas as far as recovery especially if the sleeve isn't touched. My revision wasn't exactly the same thing as getting the second half it the,switch but it was fairly similar as there was a new anastomosis. Being able to eat and drink normal foods immediately and not having the messed up sense of taste and smell made it so much easier.

I also agree that anything other than adding the switch now that the OP is sleeved, would be a head scratcher.

....not having the messed up sense of taste and smell made it so much easier.

So this made me think about a question I've had. Since my DS, my sense of smell is much better. When I go to the beach, the sea air is lovely and strong smelling like when I was a kid. The scents of food are much better too. Have other people found this. I think it's awesome.

My sense of smell was extremely heightened for a few months after surgery, but thank goodness it went back to normal for me because it was not pleasant for me. I am glad it is for you though.

My sense of smell was extremely heightened for a few months after surgery, but thank goodness it went back to normal for me because it was not pleasant for me. I am glad it is for you though.

Oh, I love it. I want to keep it. I love smelling the sea air. I hope I don't lose it. It's walking passed the bagel shop that kills me. They smell so good.

Latest posts

Back