excited.. depressed...mixed emotions

Hi everyone . I am new here and just wanted to say hello . I am almost three weeks post op vsg. I am starting to fill a little normal but really noticing my emotions more than anything. .. I have been wondering if I will ever find something as comforting or that made me as happy as food.... my logical side knows I probably will but I am struggling for sure.. any advice would be helpful and thank you in advance

:welcomeboard:@workinprogressxo

Being emotional is pretty normal just after WLS...your homones are in overload. Hormones are stored in fat, and you are losing that fat...they have to go somewhere.

Ya that's true I never thought about it like that... do you think it's a bad sign to still want to enjoy food
No, enjoying food is natural...I enjoy food but food does not make me happy. I make me happy.

But right now, you need to focus on healing. Your outside may be healed but your inside was sliced/diced/and abused...it will take about 8 weeks to fully heal so just be easy with it.

So while you heal...explore other things that can make you happy.

I am relatively new here also. I think that is normal what you are going through after surgery. I don't think it is a bad sign to want to enjoy food, but I think for many MO it can become compulsive. it does get better as time goes on, try to do some walking and keep sipping.

I think, partly, those emotions are normal. That being said, it may pose a problem for you in the long run if this isn't something that is caused by the sudden hormonal changes. The best advice I can give is to really try and analyze the emotions that are making you want to eat. For example, for me it's anything that needs soothing & unwinding, ie- stress, anxiety, nervousness, those are my big triggers. I'm in therapy trying to work on myself and find better ways to cope with those emotions. It may not be for everyone, but it's helping me.

Hello, nice to see you here.

:welcome1:

you can still enjoy food, just smaller amounts. the comforting part, not sure. but now is a good time to look around and see what else works for you.

lots of people are emotional with weight loss, not surprising. and it's weirdly hard to wrap your head around the changes when they come fast so be prepared to feel weird for awhile. but it's also fun, so there is that.

:)

I really enjoy food, still. Our diets will differ due to the different surgeries but, you can still have "comfort" foods. I love soup! Just about any kind of soup. As your stomach heals, you can expand your selections to include comforting, delicious, nutritious soups.

What do you love and miss? Maybe we can come up with a tweek to make it VSG appropriate.

Having bariatric surgery causes huge changes - anatomy, metabolism, hormonal, lifestyle, etc. Give yourself time to adjust to this big change in your life. Change isn't easy but this time it's a good thing. You just haven't reached the good stuff yet.

Thank you so much everyone for your comments. I am happy I found this place I don't know anyone in person who has had weight loss surgery. .. or really anyone who is that over weight so it's hard to not feel like people undstand what your are going threw. So talking with you all is comforting in its self! And I think it's a lot of just not wanting to do anything because I used to revolve everything around food.. watching movies... shopping... I looked forward to eatting and know I'm finding it hard to be motivated with out it. But I know it will get better and also I am definitely wanting to heel right and be kind to my new stomach. I also am confused about what to eat because with my insurance they didn't make me do any previous op stuff ( don't get me wrong I know how lucky in a since I am for not having to go threw month and month of stuff like alot of you did) but I also feel alot more un educatied I have not nut and my surgeon isn't the .... warmest person in the world I've meet him twice lol so I do have a lot of questions so thank you to everyone for the information.

Thank you so much everyone for your comments. I am happy I found this place I don't know anyone in person who has had weight loss surgery. .. or really anyone who is that over weight so it's hard to not feel like people undstand what your are going threw. So talking with you all is comforting in its self! And I think it's a lot of just not wanting to do anything because I used to revolve everything around food.. watching movies... shopping... I looked forward to eatting and know I'm finding it hard to be motivated with out it. But I know it will get better and also I am definitely wanting to heel right and be kind to my new stomach. I also am confused about what to eat because with my insurance they didn't make me do any previous op stuff ( don't get me wrong I know how lucky in a since I am for not having to go threw month and month of stuff like alot of you did) but I also feel alot more un educatied I have not nut and my surgeon isn't the .... warmest person in the world I've meet him twice lol so I do have a lot of questions so thank you to everyone for the information.
My dad got very little pre-op education for his VSG. It makes me mad, as well as sad because he's not out there looking for answers or taking advice from his kids. At least you're here, so don't hesitate to ask away!

My dad got very little pre-op education for his VSG. It makes me mad, as well as sad because he's not out there looking for answers or taking advice from his kids. At least you're here, so don't hesitate to ask away!
And then there is the education most of us got that was just plain WRONG, esp for us DS'ers!

@workinprogressxo just hang around, ask questions...we have some VSG'ers who are doing great long term that can help and others who went the VSG route to get to their DS. And as NA mentioned, maybe we can help tweak recipes to be VSG friendly.

Latest posts

Back