Ex-lax

Amie

Can we take ex-lax if we're backed up? If we can then do I just take the recommended 2 pill dosage? If we cannot then what would be a good alternative?

Ex-lax is a stimulant laxative. I would be very judicious in using them as you can become dependent. Try Miralax.

Colace would be my first choice, and/or Miralax. I'd be worried about a stimulant laxative so early out. What kind of constipation are you having?

I haven't gone in about 5 days. This morning things started to try and come through but it was very painful and I couldn't move much. I really just wanted something to try and act quickly. Then once everything passed I am going to work on getting something like Miralax or Benefiber in each day to avoid this problem again. I've definitely learned my lesson in needing to pay more attention to BM's.

I haven't gone in about 5 days. This morning things started to try and come through but it was very painful and I couldn't move much. I really just wanted something to try and act quickly. Then once everything passed I am going to work on getting something like Miralax or Benefiber in each day to avoid this problem again. I've definitely learned my lesson in needing to pay more attention to BM's.

So are you telling me it's basically a load of bricks that won't move, right? If that's the case, I'm thinking more along the lines of drink like half a juice glass of olive oil, and use some glycerin suppositories and possibly a Fleet enema. If you have brick butt, the stimulant laxatives are not wonderful. Greasing things up and breaking things up (with the enema) would be more effective. You might also try gloving up and going spelunking if stuff gets stuck near the exit point.

The potential problem with the stimulant type laxatives in this situation (assuming this is your situation) is that they make your colon work, but they don't soften up what's already in the loading gates. This can be a recipe for fissures.

I deal with uber constipation (shit bricks or baby elephants as I like to call them) as I am on a nice dose of opiates daily...and let me tell you, the last thing you want is a baby elephant blocking the way for the shit the exlax has caused. You will be on the loo, gripping the doorframe, the sink and anything else in reach to get that baby elephant out cos the brown river the exlax causes leaves you no other choice. Worry about the brick first. :) Good luck. And as far as exlaz goes, you get a tastier result with sugar free gummy bears...just sayin lol

I'm with Ricky.

Don't abuse the sugar train, but it seems to work for me on occasion, and the bacon is definitely a pusher as well.

Are you on calcium? Iron? Maybe lay off for a day or two until things pick back up?

Thanks for the replies everyone! Late last night I did indeed pass a brick and of course there was blood from the straining. I'm feeling a lot better today and not so handicapped. Now that's been passed what would be the best thing to take on a daily basis to help the constipation issues? I haven't even started taking Calcium supplements yet so there's no need to stop those. But once I get them in I'll for sure need help in the bathroom dept.

This early on, stool softeners...as you get further out start adding fat. You have to find your sweet spot with fat. Takes a mega load of fat for me...I usually finish off a half stick of butter by noon time.

For me a combination of both works (once I was past the early stages and could handle upping my fat of course ;)!). I don't watch my fat per se but cannot handle as much as some so the combo of stool softeners and fat seems to work best for me!

I started adding a little bit of fat when I was about where you are now. I recall spreading one saltine cracker thickly with butter; that seemed to help quite a bit. Colace or Miralax would help, too.

I see you're within a month of surgery. Are you still taking pain meds? Those will constipate you. I would take Colace concurrently with any pain meds. However, it seems like you already have the problem, so I would do what others here have recommended.

As you progress your diet, fat can help you with constipation. More fat will keep things moving.

Latest posts

Back