Enhanced Malabsorbtion and No Carbs

Life goes on and I have been pretty much amazed that I have stuck to it with very little cheating. But I already KNOW it's like 39 days till Labor Day and holidays are a day off. I have to admit I am already planning what I want to eat. Sort of a small food fest version of what I would do if I won the lottery. August is coming and it will be time to see if all this has been worthwhile.

Haven't gotten much done on the wrangling front. I went out last night to stuff the regular trash can to the max but a storm came up and I wimped out. It has been just too hot to work outside a lot. It was over 100 at 10 am and today's high will be @115. But I did get the saw all set up and I even read the instructions. I am going to pay my house taxes today and renew my library card. Exciting times!

The first calendar month of the diet is done and history. And I am still alive and kicking. It didn't kill me. I ate about 2lbs of the gummy bears total. They came in a 5lb bag and I tried a few in the months preceding the start of the diet and they are half gone now. I will find out tomorrow if I lost any weight. My fitbit says I have increased my activity level pretty dramatically. I would probably have done the treadmill more if I wasn't always exhausted from the palm trees. It counts the treadmill perfectly but not palm tree wrangling. I think being out in the heat tires you more than the actual work.

Haven't cheated very much at all. I gave myself 2 shots of fake Bailey's in my coffee over the month. Average carbs per day is 29 and that's because we went back to H&H in coffee because HWC was too expensive. This is still an expensive diet. No one can tell me why the low carb wraps cost so much. Let's be honest...they don't taste WONDERFUL, and they are most likely made from the stuff they used to throw away. It's probably because they are the only game in town! And then you have to buy a lot of meat. Plus carbs hide everywhere and you pretty much are forced to cook all the time if you want to avoid them. And that means dishes too. Lots more of them. We blew off about 12 free buffets in July. Not because there wasn't anything we could eat there but because of all the other things there that we WANTED to eat. It's not much fun to go to the buffet and get a plate of plain meat then leave.

I am very disappointed the stores around here are carrying a lot less SF stuff. I went into this KNOWING I would be able to go to the store and get things like SF popsicles and fudge bars, and SF candy. The closest store is a Smith's(Kroger) and they now have almost nothing that is SF. And no more popsicles and fudge bars either. They do carry some 'low cal' ice cream but it is still loaded with carbs. I can't order them on Amazon either. The biggest selection of SF junk I have found is the local 99centsOnly Store. I am going to order a new product I found on Amazon called Carbquik. Sort of a low carb baking mix like BisQuick. Has anyone tried it? It is really well rated. Plus I found some old standbys I can order again like BBQ sauce and maple walnut syrup from Walden Farms.

My friend in Minnesota has agreed to go to the Russell Stover's outlet for me in September but because of the heat, she probably won't be able to ship to me till October. Oh well. But it is something to look forward to. There is a seller on ebay who has 80 Endulge bars, variety of flavors for $80 but same thing. They would be totally melted by the time I got them.

Tomorrow is scale day. I will meet again the vicious evil monster that controls my life. But I will live through it. I don't look much different. The hernia will not allow me look anything BUT pregnant. Maybe the scale will tell a better story. But I doubt it. I do feel fine and I know I am doing well physically with the diet and the increased activity.

Tried Carbquick back before my DS. Blood glucose went up as much as if I had used Bisquick. And it was super pricey compared to Bisquick. Now I don’t use either one. But if I did, I’d just use Bisquick.

Tried Carbquick back before my DS. Blood glucose went up as much as if I had used Bisquick. And it was super pricey compared to Bisquick. Now I don’t use either one. But if I did, I’d just use Bisquick.
That's sad! Darn it! Well you saved me some money. I was dreaming of all the things I could make with this stuff.

I do feel fine and I know I am doing well physically with the diet and the increased activity.

that's good, all that activity has to be good for you. the heat is exhausting, though, I'm sure.

wonder why less SF stuff? makes no sense.

That's sad! Darn it! Well you saved me some money. I was dreaming of all the things I could make with this stuff.
The ONLY thing I really used it for was Impossible Cheeseburger Pie. I don't make that enough to worry about the nutritional value anyway. That particular recipe takes 1/2 cup which is 39 carbs. Since I make it to serve 8 slices now, that is less than 5 carb grams each slice from the Bisquick. Not enough to futz over for me.

Munchkin sending skinny thoughts. The last weight is so hard. :) You can do it.

And remember, the amazing thing about the DS is it's forgiving.

Your intestinal fortitude is awesome.

One small concern - if you are speeding up your transit time by eating those SF Gummi Bears, are your guts having enough time to absorb vitamins and minerals? Wouldn’t restricting carbs and increasing fat do about the same?

Your intestinal fortitude is awesome.

One small concern - if you are speeding up your transit time by eating those SF Gummi Bears, are your guts having enough time to absorb vitamins and minerals? Wouldn’t restricting carbs and increasing fat do about the same?
I am sure speeding up transit time cuts down on my absorbtion of everything. You are absolutely correct. However, if you compare me to an average DSer, I have always absorbed more. Of everything, fat included. And since I have never been deficient in anything, it's worth taking the chance. Despite my supposedly short CC my results have always been dismal. My automatic effortless loss postop was only about 30lbs and every pound after that was a fight. And most of that loss can be attributed to having major surgery/trauma.

My plan going forward is to eat the rest of the gummy bears over the next month or so and by then I may be accustomed to the deprivation or, not likely, so in love with the weight loss that I am willing to continue, or I will have a supply of different SF candy. The calendar is working in my favor. By October the AC should be off and the temps reasonable outside. And that makes it likely I will expend more energy than I do now when it is 110+ degrees. I figure the gummies just help me be a bit more like a 'normal' DSer. Level the playing field a little.

By then, January will be right around the corner and I will turn 64. I will be 12 months away from Medicare. 12 months to lose as much as I can before the hernia/panni. I plan to give myself 4 weeks before surgery with no SF candy and mega doses of vites and minerals to let my body catch up. Just in case. And I am assuming everything else remains stable. Hell, at my age I could go to bed and wake up dead. Best made plans and all of that!

Today is scale day and I am dreading it!

You didn't already weigh yourself nekkid, after pooping and before breakfast? WRONG!
No breakfast yet. Just coffee, water, and iced tea. Jeff has an appointment later so I will do it when he is gone! So if I have scream, rant, and rave, there will be no witnesses.

Latest posts

Back