Endoscopy whine

DianaCox

Bad Cop
I have GERD. Had it before my DS, have had it afterwards. I didn't get a tight sleeve (100 cc), and I'm almost 14 years out. I take twice the usual dose of PPI (currently on twice a day of rabeprazole/Aciphex). I'm supposed to have endoscopies periodically. I don't actually remember the last time I did one - probably 7 or 8 years ago.

Since I was having the liver enzyme issues right after I got here to AZ, I have been followed by a new GI doc here. I am also barfing again from time to time - very early in the AM, when my stomach is empty, even though I always eat something just before bed, in order to not get too empty. So we tried a different PPI - Dexilant, which didn't work - and then went back to the Aciphex. And he said I needed to do another endoscopy. Which is tomorrow AM at 10 (have to be there at 9).

I don't do mornings - my routine is very particular - lots of strong coffee with lots of creamer first thing in the AM (usually 7 am), with intermittent pooping (also have a bit of IBS). Followed by breakfast between 9-10. And the shower. If I don't do this, I don't poop and I don't get (eventually) cleaned up. And if I don't eat, then I get diarrhea (blood work days are tough). I can't have anything to eat after midnight, or drink after 5 am. No coffee means no pooping before my shower; no eating means I'm probably going to cut loose with diarrhea on my way to the endoscopy center. Not happy!

I'm going to have some cheese (before midnight) with my whine.

I don't have GERD, but several years ago I contracted C-Diff. My stomach has never quite recovered, so I completely understand your need for a particular regiment. Endoscopies do merit whining, as @k9ophile pointed out. May the Toilet Gods grace you with clean restrooms on your way to the appointment.

And this is what we've become. Our lives revolve around pooping. Hope your scope went well and your bowels held out!

The good news, part 1:
1) My bowels woke up at 5:40, and started emptying on their own.
2) Round 2 started at 6:20, ten minutes before alarm went off.

The bad news, part 1:
1) Even after I thought I was done, I was not - the acidy diarrhea then started.
2) Just as I was getting ready to get into the shower, 45 min before I had to leave the house, I slightly pooped on the carpet.

The good news, part 2:
1) Despite leaving the house at 8:30, heading towards downtown Phoenix, there was very little traffic, and my guts held out.
2) When signing in, they caught an error - there was another Diana checking in at the same time for a colonoscopy - they had the wrong paperwork associated with me, and I ended up with an extra warning sticker on my wristband warning "Two patients with same name."
3) They got me in and out early - I was out of there by 10:20.

The bad (and good) news, part 2:
1) Finding 1, location esophagus: NORMAL
2) Finding 2, location esophagus: Hiatus hernia (he said it was a small one)
3) Finding 3, location stomach: Inflammation (he said there was also erosion, and he took biopsies)
4) Finding 4, location duodenum: NORMAL

I'm kind of hoping that (1) I have H. pylori as an explanation for the gastric inflammation, which can be treated; and (2) this might explain why my iron goes down pretty quickly. When I woke up, and he mentioned the inflammation, I remembered to tell the doctor that both of my maternal grandparents died of stomach cancer (I don't know why I had forgotten that important detail), and my suspicion has been that they most likely both had H. pylori. So now I wait for the biopsy results.

He changed my PPI prescription back to Protonix, which he thinks is a little more effective. And told me I've been taking it wrong - he says I should take it twice a day, a half hour BEFORE breakfast and a half hour BEFORE dinner. I've been taking all of my pills after breakfast and before bedtime.

The good news, part 1:
1) My bowels woke up at 5:40, and started emptying on their own.
2) Round 2 started at 6:20, ten minutes before alarm went off.

The bad news, part 1:
1) Even after I thought I was done, I was not - the acidy diarrhea then started.
2) Just as I was getting ready to get into the shower, 45 min before I had to leave the house, I slightly pooped on the carpet.

The good news, part 2:
1) Despite leaving the house at 8:30, heading towards downtown Phoenix, there was very little traffic, and my guts held out.
2) When signing in, they caught an error - there was another Diana checking in at the same time for a colonoscopy - they had the wrong paperwork associated with me, and I ended up with an extra warning sticker on my wristband warning "Two patients with same name."
3) They got me in and out early - I was out of there by 10:20.

The bad (and good) news, part 2:
1) Finding 1, location esophagus: NORMAL
2) Finding 2, location esophagus: Hiatus hernia (he said it was a small one)
3) Finding 3, location stomach: Inflammation (he said there was also erosion, and he took biopsies)
4) Finding 4, location duodenum: NORMAL

I'm kind of hoping that (1) I have H. pylori as an explanation for the gastric inflammation, which can be treated; and (2) this might explain why my iron goes down pretty quickly. When I woke up, and he mentioned the inflammation, I remembered to tell the doctor that both of my maternal grandparents died of stomach cancer (I don't know why I had forgotten that important detail), and my suspicion has been that they most likely both had H. pylori. So now I wait for the biopsy results.

He changed my PPI prescription back to Protonix, which he thinks is a little more effective. And told me I've been taking it wrong - he says I should take it twice a day, a half hour BEFORE breakfast and a half hour BEFORE dinner. I've been taking all of my pills after breakfast and before bedtime.

i take Protonix twice a day also. Hope it works better for you. So @DianaCox let me know when your ready to take advantage of that pool you pay for! After all it is 150 degrees in the shade here. lol

I feel for you. In a couple of weeks, we both have nuclear cardiac stress tests. He had an MI 17 years ago, I have 55-60% blockage of one area...and we haven't had any testing for 2.5 years.

Not only are we "water only" for four hours prior to the testing, we are NO CAFFEINE for 24 hours before the test. If you read about an elderly couple involved in a murder-suicide on their way to an appointment with their cardiologist...please check in with MiniSue and see how she's doing.

Oh...and I wish you...?...h pylori....seems like a weird gesture of friendship. LOL

Last edited:
I don't have GERD, but several years ago I contracted C-Diff. My stomach has never quite recovered, so I completely understand your need for a particular regiment. Endoscopies do merit whining, as @k9ophile pointed out. May the Toilet Gods grace you with clean restrooms on your way to the appointment.

Well, then, I win...because I've had c diff and have GERD/relux, thanks to the LapBand, for about 15 years. AND, I have been "dicking around" with my doctor's office, the pharmacy and my insurance for THREE WEEKS, trying to get my Rx for Prevacid Solutab filled. That PPI dissolves in the mouth and that is, for me, a more reliable delivery system. I finally got the damned drug tonght.

AARGH....

Due to a pharmacy mixup, I can't get my Protonix script until next week, so in the meantime, I'm practicing taking my Aciphex before breakfast and dinner. I'm assuming I'm mostly going to forget to do that.

Latest posts

Back