Emergency Bowel Obstruction Surgery

How awful. Im really glad you are on the road to recovery. It's ridiculous how quickly they try to push you out the door. Counter productive if its cost related as patients end right back in the ER. Do they know what the "pop" was?

Thank good care of yourself.
Best,

@Ray_Of_Fricken_Sunshine I hope you understand that I don't fault you at all for what happened. Given your post-op drugged state, it was beyond your control. But it does serve as a lesson for all of us, not just you, as to what can happen to even the best of us. I don't even entirely blame the intern, who has probably been influenced (maybe even more than influenced) by the pencil pushers who are more concerned about the hospital budget, or for how long a stay the insurer will reimburse the hospital, than for the welfare of the patient. And even they aren't entirely to blame, as they often have to fight the insurer and "justify" the length of stay.

@Larra Yes ma'am, I do understand. I didn't take it that way at all. To be honest, the intern was this little overachiever that seemed like the one that's always trying to impress her superiors with all the stuff she can do by herself.
@Whit I agree!! I mean, it was just a few hours after my surgery that she sent me home. The doctor said after he handled the obstruction, he went through and just checked everything else. He said he took over an hour and just inspected everything to make sure there weren't other sites where scar tissue was forming, or anything like that. He said he didn' see anything that would have caused a pop, and because all my blood work came back absolutely normal, he wasn' terribly worried. That damn pop took me to my knees!!

Make sure you write this up carefully, with names and times to the best of your recollection, and file a complaint with the hospital and doctor's office. This was mishandled, including setting up your discharge when you were drugged, during a moment when your family was out of the room. That was in my opinion utterly inappropriate, and needs to be reported.

Last edited:
Make sure you write this up carefully, with names and times to the best of your recollection, and file a complaint with the hospital and doctor's office. This was mishandled, including setting up your discharge when you were drugged, during a moment when your family was out of the room. That was in my opinion utterly inappropriate, and needs to e reported.
Yes Ma'am, I agree.

Post your 6-month labs. Don't worry about what it looks like. You can fix your numbers but you need to get started.

Sorry for not responding sooner! I'm not getting my alerts! @Munchkin @Settledownnow
I'm actually not doing great. When I got home from having my DS done, I didn't even use my pain meds, except to help me sleep through the night. I can hardly move after this surgery!! My stomach is still so swollen, I can't fit into any of my current clothes, and it's the size of my stomach Pre-DS. For those of you who've had this done, how long does it take for things to start going down/back to normal!?!? I have been completely useless, and unable to do much of anything at all. I have to physically support my stomach when I move/walk around. The weight of it is just tremendously painful.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

I’ll be in your neck of the woods several times over the next few weeks as my son is participating in a clinical trial at Duke.

Could some of swelling be from all the iv liquids? I know that I had 10 lb gain that took a week (maybe a little more) to resolve. Sorry the recovery is so rough. Can you use an abdominal binder?

You are probably full of water weight, from the iv's. Drinking water and walking as tolerated. Moving around helps. You're going to hurt, and for longer than after the original DS. Manage the pain and rest, but get in your fluids too. That's the best I've got. It sucks.

my recent example: after my abdominal wall reconstruction, I was 19/20 pounds more than the day I went in the hospital. It took about 2 weeks to finally pee off all that extra fluid. Wear loose, comfy clothes for now and don't get on the scale frequently.

A binder may be helpful as well. I loved mine after DS surgery. It really help everything in nice and tight.
I hope you get back to normal soon.

Latest posts

Back