DS related or not?

catecholamine

Resident Nerd
Just got out of the looney bin. About 3 days ago, something started. When I stood up, I was suddenly out of breath, lightheaded. Blood pressure was fine - my heart rate, however, shot up to 160bpm when I stood up. What's going on? The docs there didn't seem concerned but also did not know what it was from and said to ask my surgeon. Any ideas?
Resting heart rate went from 90-something to around 120-something as well.
EDIT: Oh, and no new meds. Only new thing I added was ADEK vites.

Hi, cat,
What do you mean looney bin? Have you been back in the hospital? I have been hoping you are ok.
Sending kind thoughts your way!
Yeah. It was a new one, one I'd never been to. Was boring. They were idiots about my meds. My pdoc said he wanted me on Cymbalta twice a day... I was on 60mg...at the hospital, they decided 30mg 2x a day was the same thing (derp, it isn't) and it wasn't doing so hot, but they let me go anyway. Seeing my pdoc in a few days, so I'll get it set straight.

BTW, in case anyone is wondering, yes, I will start seeing a therapist. More cause I'm realizing now that I'm mourning my loss of the ability to eat bigger portions. Things are tasty, I want to eat more, but I can't, and that does make me a little sad. I never thought I'd be upset over such a silly thing, but I am...a little, anyway.

Likely is dehydration. How's your fluid intake???
Probably not as good as it should be. I'm going to try to amp it up a bit and get more fluids in. I've been struggling more with nausea and stuff lately...probably due to dehydration. I'll work on it and see if it gets better.

Great to see you back around! Thanks for keeping it real around here. Not everyone has an easy recovery, and that's ok- especially with no support IRL. Glad you are getting the right people in place, for when you need them. Smart.

Cat hon, take that dehydration stuff seriously. Dizzyness is a sign. All lightheadedness is a sign. Changes in blood pressure (both high and low) in my case were a sign. You won't be hungry (moment by moment) if you drink drink drink drink drink.

The changes in your intestinal track require - especially early out - that you drink tons... Tons.

I passed out in the grocery store at a few weeks out, wound up in the ER repeatedly, lost my driver's license for almost a year resultingly, and still keep a close eye on my hydration levels. You want to manage this sooner not later. Really. Drink.

Cat hon, take that dehydration stuff seriously. Dizzyness is a sign. All lightheadedness is a sign. Changes in blood pressure (both high and low) in my case were a sign. You won't be hungry (moment by moment) if you drink drink drink drink drink.

The changes in your intestinal track require - especially early out - that you drink tons... Tons.

I passed out in the grocery store at a few weeks out, wound up in the ER repeatedly, lost my driver's license for almost a year resultingly, and still keep a close eye on my hydration levels. You want to manage this sooner not later. Really. Drink.
Youch! I'm working on it. I tried to get them to get me IV fluids (the ward is IN an actual hospital) but they wouldn't. I think my stomach is still getting used to stuff, and signals are still weird. I can be full to the point of nausea but somehow feel hungry, it is so weird. I've gotten 20oz in the past 3hrs. It's not a ton, but I'm working on it.

The weird thing about this is my blood pressure is fine when I stand up. It's just my heart rate.

Hi Cat!

what everyone said about dehydration, it's a big deal. push push push fluids. how much are you getting a day, total?

and I don't blame you for missing food being able to eat more. that's normal & it will take awhile to get used to.

I honestly stopped logging fluid intake while I was in the hospital. Was just kind of like "screw it". I know there was one day I only drank 16oz because I was throwing up....that's when they denied me IV fluids. Some days, I was drinking all the time, some days I was sleeping instead. It's been irregular. I'm going to start logging again and making a real effort to get fluids in.

The one thing I think people are going to shit bricks over is this: I told them I needed to be on a liquid diet. The first 2 days, I was. Then, the nurse practitioner told me I should eat real food. They took it upon themselves to order me regular meals. So I just had to pick the softest thing from it and eat a few bites and give the rest away to other patients. Usually it was something carby, but a lot of the meat just gave me a tummy ache and made me feel ill, so I stuck to the soft stuff. I skipped a lot of meals and ate a slice of cheese that they kept in the fridge or something. So annoying.

I honestly stopped logging fluid intake while I was in the hospital. Was just kind of like "screw it". I know there was one day I only drank 16oz because I was throwing up....that's when they denied me IV fluids. Some days, I was drinking all the time, some days I was sleeping instead. It's been irregular. I'm going to start logging again and making a real effort to get fluids in.

Yeah, that's bad... Right now I'd assume everything is dehydration. Nausea is. Heart rate may be as well. Hunger actually can be a signal of thirst. Don't try to turn it around, commit to turning it around. No kidding. If you need help, get to an ER.

The thing to ask for is a blood test -- whether you are in a psych ward or an ER. My understanding is that it will show dehydration. It is a serious and dangerous thing at this early stage. Sip constantly or as near to constantly as you can.

You fought hard to do this your way, on your timeframe. This part is not optional. You need at least 64 oz of fluid per day. You're seriously behind from days of being inpatient for other issues. Since your sleeve is a bit bigger you may be able to turn it around on your own but you've GOT to get on top if this.

We crossed posts, Cat.

It's not annoying, it's terribly serious. I'm afraid you are headed for real trouble. I'm very sorry to see this.

You need to figure out how you're going to stop living against medical advice. The way you're going you could easily wind up dead.

Latest posts

Back