1. Please review your surgery details found under your profile.
  2. We have many with MIA Avatars. If you are missing yours, please reload it. Use a browser you normally do not use to check. List is in Announcements: http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/missing-avatars.5131/

DS for Diabetes/Dan's Story

Discussion in 'Duodenal Switch' started by Munchkin, Jan 16, 2014.

newwomanin2015

newwomanin2015 Well-Known Member

I have heard that, too, about the insurance companies waiting people out. I'm sorry you lost him. Dan sounds like he was a great guy.

Munchkin

Munchkin Full of Fairy Dust

Just today I heard from Dr. Aniceto Baltasar, Dan's surgeon. He will be giving a talk at a medical school in Spain about the DS for diabetic patients. He plans to use Dan as an example. I sent him this post and offered to answer any questions or things he may have forgotten over time. Dr. B is a great man. He is pretty much retired now and hopefully he will send me an update on all his new plans. I also asked him is another doc who does the DS is taking over the clinica. We could always use another DS surgeon!

JackieOnLine and newanatomy like this.
    JackieOnLine

JackieOnLine Moderator Staff Member

as everyone else said, thanks for sharing this story.

bearmom

bearmom Well-Known Member

I'm glad this got bumped up, and thank you for sharing. It was brave and kind of you.

This also seems timely as I'm concerned what direction many peoples healthcare is about to go, and cost may start dictating what some of us do, or don't do, for medicare care.

JuliaDS and JackieOnLine like this.
    galaxygrrl

galaxygrrl Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing. I'm sorry you lost your husband.

countryham

countryham Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing Munchkin. I was having some serious issues with diabetes also. But since having the DS in January things are improving everyday, I am no longer on Insulin or any other meds for diabetes. Still have the neuropathy but just had an A1C of 6.8 that is awesome for me. Haven't seen a number like that in many years. I lost my father and brother to diabetes.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    Munchkin

Munchkin Full of Fairy Dust

Just wait! It will probably get even better! Dan did lose some of his neuropathy but it didn't all go away. Best of luck!

countryham likes this.
    KathrynK

KathrynK Well-Known Member

I am so sorry. I am glad he had the time where he was able to eat what he wanted. I know the diabetic diet is tiresome because I had type 2 before surgery, and then never needed to be treated again. We need health economists to study the cost effectiveness of surgery, so future patients can get it earlier. Dan contributed to the evidence that surgery changes lives and you contribute to the DS community by reminding us to 'pay it forward.' Thank you.

Munchkin likes this.