Drinking and eating at same time?

Blue123

So i believe I read in another thread that DSers can eat and drink at the same time. Is that correct? My NUT told me to wait 30 minutes before and after eating.

So i believe I read in another thread that DSers can eat and drink at the same time. Is that correct? My NUT told me to wait 30 minutes before and after eating.
Yes! I was a DS revision from an RNY and was just informed that since we have a pyloric valve we can in fact drink while eating!

That's RNY advice.

Just sit in front of your nutritionist (if you are compelled to go to one by your insurance company) and smile and nod. Don;t actually LISTEN to or do anything they say. Come here to find out what to eat and how to supplement.

If you are not required to go to a nutritionist, don't.

Classis gastric bypass given to a DS patient, which unfortunately is also classic. Of course at first it's all you can do to get in a few bites of something, but eventually you will be able to drink with your meals.

Here's the why so you can understand this. You have a fully functioning stomach. There is a pyloric valve located at the end of the stomach where contents flow into the small intestine. This valve opens and closes. If you have a RNY, you no longer have a true stomach, just an egg shaped pouch. You no longer use your pyloric valve. If an RNY person drinks after eating they can wash out the food from their pouch into the intestine. And of course they will be hungry again because their pouch is empty. If a DSer drinks after eat, what happens? Nothing because our pyloric valve is closed. Nothing can be washed out.

Your NUT is nuts. Doesn't even understand your surgery at all. She/he should be ashamed.

It is extremely rare to find a nutritionist (or a surgeon, for that matter) who understands the dietary needs of a DSer. They just White Out the term Roux En Y at the top of the diet sheet and replace it with DS. (And they usually forget to White Out RNY other than in the title so you'll see Roux En Y elsewhere on the sheet.) RNY malabsorption is minimal and in a different area of the intestine.

The sad thing is, of any WLS, it is critical for a DSer to have a knowledgeable advisor because of our malabsorption. I can only hope that as more and more DS are performed, nutritionists will be willing to learn how to provide responsible dietary and supplement recommendations.

It is extremely rare to find a nutritionist (or a surgeon, for that matter) who understands the dietary needs of a DSer. They just White Out the term Roux En Y at the top of the diet sheet and replace it with DS. (And they usually forget to White Out RNY other than in the title so you'll see Roux En Y elsewhere on the sheet.) RNY malabsorption is minimal and in a different area of the intestine.

The sad thing is, of any WLS, it is critical for a DSer to have a knowledgeable advisor because of our malabsorption. I can only hope that as more and more DS are performed, nutritionists will be willing to learn how to provide responsible dietary and supplement recommendations.
Actually most just reprint forms off the computer. And word programs have an ability to replace a word found everywhere in a document with a different word.

I know it happens cause a friend of mine had the RNY before Boyce started with the DS...I saw her copy of her instructions and except for RNY, it said BPD/DS. And the instructions were identical.

I had my initial nutrition teaching with a mixed group of lap banders and RNYs. Because I was my surgeon's first DS, she was at least honest enough to say she didn't know what to do with me. While irritating that they didn't learn anything before performing the DS, it's downright criminal that they never did. This site did not exist when I had my DS. However, the experts here were available on other sites.

It actually applies to all bariatric surgery patients immediately post op, but surely doesn't continue to apply to we DS'ers after we've healed up. With fully functioning pyloric valves and no fear of "dumping syndrome" like the Rny'ers get, it's just not an issue for us.
:thanksgivingdinner:

With fully functioning pyloric valves and no fear of "dumping syndrome" like the Rny'ers get, it's just not an issue for us.
Actually even people who do not have any WLS can dump. It's about 2-3 % of the population but it does happen. The DS does not change that number...so about 2-3% of DS'ers can dump. BUT with the RNY, they up that percentage to over 30%.

So, here it is 2017 and I just read a comment by someone on another forum who said that they were told at their surgeon's office that DSers cannot eat and drink at the same time. Makes me want to *facedesk* over the rampant misinformation being spewed by surgeon's offices about the DS. Of course, I have directed that individual here and hope they will join and learn more, but man alive, this stuff is frustrating.

This is also advice given for VSG patients. The reason i was given in my nutritional classes for the Sleeve was that if you drink while eating, the liquid will push ur good through sooner, causing hunger faster. Or the liquid will take up space in ur sleeve that u need for dense protein. When i started regaining and complaining of hunger, my surgeon would constantly ask if i was following the 30 minute drinking rule. Not sure how much of a difference it made ...

I have seen advice that says NOBODY should drink with meals, surgery or not. In reality, I might know a few people who do that. I can assure you I'm not one of them. In fact, I went to a seminar for my surgeon to allow potential patients to talk with one who has gone through it. I was asked if I drank with my meals, and I said yes. I got the *stink eye* from the program director and was never asked back. I have lost exactly zero hours of sleep over that. Apparently, the truth was bad for their sales pitch.

I do not know how anyone can choke down food without water or other beverage. I know some people do it, but not me!

Latest posts

Back